Search for content in message boards

RYAN family from Co.Tipperary

RYAN family from Co.Tipperary

Posted: 12 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Mar 2002 2:14PM GMT
Surnames: RYAN, MOLONEY
A Ryan family, father, mother, 3 year old John J. Ryan left county Tipperary and landed in Charleston,SC abt 1820. John J.Ryan's father,Unknown Ryan, died and believe he was buried in McClellanville, SC. His Unknown Ryan mother, remarried to a Moloney in Barnwell,SC and she is buried in Catholic church yard there.

John J. Ryan lived a long life, mainly in Barnwell, SC, died and is buried there also.

Seeking Irish roots for this family?

Moloney or Maloney family

Posted: 28 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 12:45AM GMT
Surnames: Moloney, Maloney, Ryan
Hi

I am researching the Moloney family history, but not having any luck
I have a message posted, but to date have had no response

Might be a long shot

Hope to hear from you. I have the complete history from the arrival of Michale John Moloney, who's parents wre Michael and Catherine Moloney nee Ryan

Take care

John Moloney

Ryan Molony

Posted: 29 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2002 2:14PM GMT
Surnames: Ryan, Molony
John,my wife was a Ryan. Her GG Grandfather (John J. Ryan) was born in County Tipperary, Ireland in 1817 & came to America with his parents or mother (?) in 1820. At one time we thought John J. Ryans were James Ryan & Catherine Molony? After a a search by the three heritage centers in County Tipperary, we believe that her name was Catherine Okeefe. This was the only family who baptized a John Ryan in County Tipperary in 1817 (April 6th)

But, this Catherine remarried after James died to a James Molony in Barnwell Co, SC & they had four children: Michael Francis Molony born 1831 in Thurles, Ireland, wife Sarah S Warnock, He died in 1897. He may have been son from James Molony's first marriage? Patrick K. Molony born 1840 in Barnwell, SC, died 1864 in Battle of Weldon Railroad serving with CSA Army. Catherine Molony & John Molony. These two children I do not have birth or death info on.

The Barnwell, SC Library has a booklet on Molony history in SC, etc. I did not study it too closely as I was searching for Ryan connections.

If you find a connection to the Molony who married James Ryan's widow, please let me know.
Byron Brown

Re: RYAN family from Co.Tipperary

Sarah L. Clingman (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2001 3:25AM GMT
JJ Ryan was my gg grandfather. I have lots of information about the family. e-mail me off-line and I'll give you all.
I have no proof that JJ's father made the journey with the family. I understand his mother, Katherine Kilbride Ryan, travelled with a large family of Bretts from Tipperary. They landed at Beaufort and she lived in Pocotaligo (Beaufort County). The Bretts are buried at St. Peter's Catholic Church, Columbia. Katherine then married James Molony and had two more children, Patrick and Mary Ann. Patrick was killed in the civil war and Mary Ann became the Mother Superior of the Ursaline Convent in Columbia, which moved to Sprinfield IL. James Molony is buried at St. Andrews Catholic Church, Barnwell. Katherine died at the convent in Sprinfield and was buried there, although later removed during renovation to the cemetery where Lincoln is buried. I have much more -- look forward to hearing from you.

Re: Moloney or Maloney family

Terry Blair (Maloney) (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2003 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: Maloney
Hi,
I am looking for my family of Maloney. I have traced it back only to my grandfather John James Maloney(1876-1947) Who married Clara Emilie Greiwe(1882-1941) On Johns census it tells me both of his parents were from Ireland. All my aunts and uncles are dead and I have no info. Can you help? Terry

John Moloney (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2003 12:00AM GMT
Surnames: Moloney/Maloney??, Ryan, Grogan, Nelson, McConville
Hi Terry
I have attached my line. See how it fits, but I am having real trouble looking anyone in Ireland
My G Grand Father Michael John Moloney/Maloney, from the information that I have appears to have been born 1839? and that he could not write or read, asall documents as marked with a "X". It appears from all the documents and paper clipping that I have that Michael John 1839 appears to have landed in Australia around 1860, as the first offical record that I have of him is, his marriage to Jane Anne Nelson born 1845 South Shields England. The Nelson family parents being Peter and Isabella, with Jane resided at Cressy near Geelong in Victoria Aust. On the marriage cert. name spelt MAloney, age given 29 and born Limerick. Michael and Jane have a daughter Isabella born 1875, before they move to the Carron area, which is a farming area near Donald, where the family still reside. Donald being about 180 miles north of Melbourne Victoria. Here they have a daughter Mary Catherine born 1879 and a son Michael John born 1881(My Grand Father see below). Jane passed away at Donald in June 1883 and she was returned to the Rokewood Cemetery, which is near Cressy and the burial ground for the people from Cressy. All Jane's family are buried there.
In 1884 Michael (1839) marries a Mary Grogan born 1842 Roscommon Co Connaught Ireland. They were married in Donald and no children were born. On this marriage cert. the name is spelt MOloney as it still is to-day and stated he was born in Tipperary. I do not know if this fits in with your
Michael (1839) parents being Michael and Catherine Moloney nee Ryan or Egan. On the first marriage certificate (to Jane Nelson) Michael's mother surname looks like Egan, but that could be the way the name was written.
My limited research into how he arrived here has a few possibilities, around 1860, 2 Michael MOloney's are recorded as "farmer's" on on the "Royal Character" arriving in 1859 with his age 21 years. The second "Empress of the Sea" 1861 aged 25 years Michael 1839 spent all his like as a famer.
My Grand Parents were Michael John born 1881 and Catherine Mary Moloney nee McGrath born 21/12/1884. They were married 1919 at Carron, which is near Donald Victoria Australia. Michael and Catherine had 3 children Catherine Mary born 24/08/1919 who married Colin McConville, My father Michael John Moloney born 21/01/1923 and James Dennis born 20/07/1927 single who died 13/09/1990

Father: Michael MOLONEY MAloney b: in Ireland??
Mother: Catherine RYAN b: in Ireland??
Regards
John Moloney

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 11:34PM GMT
hi i am trying to trace kevin maloney/moloney he will be around 69 to 72 yrs old now if you hear of him can you please let me know. email lindy582000@yahoo.com thanks lynn

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 4:39PM GMT
Surnames: Ryan, Lee

Hi,

I am seeking information on the origin of Rev. Thomas
Ryan - 1790 - 1843. Rev. Ryan was ordained in Clonfert
diocese in 1824 and was appointed as Parish Priest in the
parish of Killannin (West Galway) in 1826. He is believed
to have been a native of County Tipperary. Area unknown.

He had a brother - John Ryan - who married Honor Lee of
Rosscahill, County Galway. Most of John Ryan's family
emigrated to the US. It is thought that John had lived for
some years there?

It is a long shot!!!

Regards

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 6:47AM GMT
I would send a letter to his first parish, then the 2nd. one to see if they can help. You may also visit some of the Irish web sites and just plug his name in. You may get lucky. The last count I had on searching Wm. Ryan in Tipp. Co. was about 460 men with that name. A priest may be easier.
Good Luck
per page

Find a board about a specific topic