Search for content in message boards

Sarah J. Taylor aka Juana Ortega of Missouri?

Sarah J. Taylor aka Juana Ortega of Missouri?

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 10:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Taylor
I'm a little confused. I have attached a picture of the 1920 census in Santa Fe, in which my ancestor is listed as Sara Taylor Ortega from Missouri. In previous years she appears as Juana Ortega, or Juanita Ortega as on her death certificate in which her father, James Taylor, is noted.

Does anyone have more information on the Taylor family of Missouri that she might have been connected to? The earliest she appears on the census in New Mexico is 1880 and I am not sure of her whereabouts before that.

Thanks,
Veronica
Attachments:

Re: Sarah J. Taylor aka Juana Ortega of Missouri?

Posted: 11 Sep 2012 3:49PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

1940 is the last available census at this time.

1920 -
Name: Sara Taylor Ortega
Birth Year: abt 1858
Birthplace: Missouri
Home in 1920: Santa Fe, Santa Fe, New Mexico
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Dionisio Ortega
Father's Birthplace: Missouri
Mother's Birthplace: Missouri
Able to Read: No
Able to Write: No

Dionisio Ortega 63, NM [obviously a 2nd marriage for him]
[67]
Sara Taylor Ortega 62, MO
Celestina Ortega 28, NM - son [not Sara's son]
Isabeleta Ortega 21, NM - [not Sara's dau]

1910 -
Name: Juana Ortega
Age in 1910: 58
Birth Year: 1852
Birthplace: New Mexico
Home in 1910: Santa Fe Ward 3, Santa Fe, New Mexico
Spouse's Name: Dionicio Ortega
Father's Birthplace: New Mexico
Mother's Birthplace: New Mexico

Dionicio Ortega 60, NM
Juana Ortega 58, NM - married 40 yrs, 9 children & 7 living
Manuela Ortega 36, NM
Celestine Ortega 20, NM
Beatriz Ortega 18, NM
Isabel Ortega 16, NM

1900 -
Name: Juana Ortega [this is not Sarah]
[Juana Orteza]
Birth Date: May 1860
Birthplace: New Mexico < < < < < < <<
Home in 1900: Santa Fe Ward 3, Santa Fe, New Mexico
[Santa Fe]
Spouse's Name: Dionicio Ortega
Marriage Year: 1877
Years Married: 23 < < < < <
Father's Birthplace: New Mexico
Mother's Birthplace: New Mexico
Mother: number of living children: 8
Mother: How many children: 8

Dionicio Ortega 45, 1/55 NM
Juana Ortega 40, 5/60 NM
Carolina Ortega 21, 6/78 NM
Oracio Ortega 19, 4/81 NM - son
Margarita Ortega 15, 11/84 NM
Ramona Ortega 12, 3/88 NM - dau
Celestino Ortega 8, 12/91 NM
Manuel Ortega 6, 1/94 NM
Beatris Ortega 4, 3/96 NM - dau
Isabel Ortega 1, 1/99 NM

What is the marital status for Sara on her death cert???
WHO is the informant??
Doe it say how many children she has had???

Posted: 11 Sep 2012 4:34PM GMT
Hi Thomasker2,

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure if you can see them well but yes, I have attached an image of the 1920 census in my original post and Sarah died in 1927 so that's the last one she's on. I have her as Juana Ortega on the New Mexico census from 1880-1910.

I haven't seen the actual death certificate, just the information from FamilySearch.org which I have also attached the image of in my original post. You can see it says she was married to Dionisio Ortega, that her father was James Taylor and that her mother was unknown. She had at least 8 children but that isn't recorded on the death information record.

I am content with the knowledge I have of her life in New Mexico and now I would like to identify the family she came from in Missouri but I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading,
Veronica

Posted: 11 Sep 2012 4:46PM GMT
Order her death cert. here = $5.00

http://www.vitalrecordsnm.org/death.shtml

also, order Dionisio Ortega's death cert.

but you will need to know the date of death.

Sarah J. Taylor is not Juana Ortega
go back and look at the census records I provided and you will see that Juana Ortega consistantly said that she was born in NM and not MO.

Posted: 11 Sep 2012 5:37PM GMT
I appreciate your trying to help me but I know Sarah Jane Taylor is Sara Juana Taylor Ortega. My cousin (Grandmother's sister's daughter) is named after Sarah J. Taylor and has a picture of her in her house. And Sarah J. Taylor Ortega is buried in Rosario Cemetery in Santa Fe, NM. You are right, the census does state Juana Ortega was born in New Mexico but would this be the first time someone provided false information?

The family story is that Sarah Jane Taylor was a new immigrant which is the part I don't think is correct. I think they've romanticized our European heritage and I just want to find out if Sarah Taylor was, as stated, from Missouri. The family says she was Dutch which doesn't make any sense to me, but my genetic maternal haplogroup is V which I can't explain. I expected a Native American haplogroup such as A,B,C, or D.

For the record, I've ordered vital records from New Mexico in July that still haven't come in.

Posted: 11 Sep 2012 6:05PM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2012 6:58PM GMT
I can see how easily this would be confusing. I contacted the New Mexico Genealogical Society for help on this and they told me the ages, birth dates, and years married were probably just plain reported wrong by neighbors and other household members.

They were able to find these records:

This is from the new Marriage book I worked on from Santa Fe - pub. HGRC p. 77 May 27, 1901 Dispensed publishing two banns, I married Francisco Gonzales widowed of Antonia Alvarado, son of Juan Gonzales and Anastasia Armijo, both deceased from Santa Fe, with Ramoncita Ortega, single, daughter of Dionisio Ortega and Sara Tailor (sic) from Santa Fe.

A record I saw named the 1924 death of a Sara Gonzales (apprx. 19yrs old), child of Francisco Gonzales & Ramona Ortega, married to a Margarito Silva; maybe child named for grama Sara?

I'm looking for Sara Taylor now. I can't find a marriage record for Dionisio and Sara. May not have been a Catholic marriage.

They had another son Horacio - 20 Aug 1902 – I married Horacio Ortega, single, son of Dionisio Ortega and Sara Tailer, from Santa Fe, with Lola Valencia, single, legit daughter of Patricio Valencia, deceased, and Isabel Herrera, from Santa Fe, Officiant: Very Reverend Anthony Fourchégu, Vicar General and Rector

Another daughter - 14 Oct 1909 – Dispensed publishing two banns. I married Francisco Narvais, single, 30 years old, legit son of Jose Narvais and Juana Jimenes, from Rio de Tesuque, with Margarita Ortega, single, 25 years old, legit daughter of Dionisio Ortega and Juana Taylor, from Santa Fe, Officiant: Anthony Fourchégu. In this record she is called Juana.

Another daughter Margarita. Again the mother listed as Juana Taylor. Did find a marriage record for James Taylor and Rosario Johnson in 1872 - We don't know the age of your Sara but I will look up this family in the census.

The publication "New Mexico Baptisms, Santa Fe, NM, Jan 1884 to Dec 1899" shows Ramona's Baptism on page 54. : Ramona Ortega, Baptised 5 Sept 1886, age 6 days old, legitimate daughter of Dionisio Ortega and Juana Telo [sic] probably Taylor. There are other family members listed in the same book.

Another entry from "New Mexico Baptisms, Santa Fe, NM, Jan 1884 to Dec 1899 : Manuel Ortega, bap. 25 Dec, born 17 Dec 1892. Legit son of Dionicio Ortega and Juana Telas [sic]. Should be Taylor.

The Baptism entry for Beatriz Ortega has some revealing information that you will appreciate. : Beatriz Ortega, bap 9 Aug 1896, born 27 July 1896, legit daughter of Dionicio Ortega and Jua(na) Heller, from Santa Fe. Extractors note: Marriages of the children from this couple show Juana's surname as Taylor. The Baptism of Isabel Ortega shows the parents as Dionisio Romero and Juanita Taylor.

Personally I think Heller was also just a mistake. She or her family might have pronounced Taylor like "Teller" and someone thought it was Heller.

The next logical step was to search the 1880 census for a Sarah Taylor whose father is James Taylor. I haven't found her yet and was wondering if the story might be familiar to some of the board readers here.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 6:00PM GMT
Hi Thomasker2,

I took your advice and ordered the death certificate. She was born in Kansas, not Missouri! Thank you!!!

Posted: 24 Oct 2013 8:42PM GMT
if this is the right family; I heard she was german and don had native (Pueblo) blood and don was a mule skinner on the trails and met Sara J because her father was the store owner.
I been trying to find out a lot on her and him and I have family down in NM.

Posted: 9 Nov 2013 6:52PM GMT
That is really interesting! Would she have been German on her mother's side?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions