Search for content in message boards

James D. Graves b. 1849 Caswell Co. NC

James D. Graves b. 1849 Caswell Co. NC

Donald P. Robinson II (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2001 10:35PM GMT
I am researching my family history through the maternal lineage. My greatgrandfather James D. Graves was born in 1849 in Locust Hill Twp. Caswell Co., NC. Sometime between 1869 and 1870 he married Lucinda Nunally(she was born in NC also - her parents: Monroe and Isabella Nunnally). James and Lucinda had six children: Ida(married a Russell), Jules (died in youth), Robert, Littleton, Mary(married a Poteat) and James Jr. (my grandfather). We are trying to find out information about my greatgreatgrandparents and James Sr.s siblings some names we have so far are: Dolly Graves, Robert and Arthur Graves(who were split from the family and last name became Neal - one story, other story these are Dolly's boys and she married a Neal they relocated to Navasota, Texas)and finally Oscar. From the elders who have all died now this was the oral information passed down to my mother Beatrice T. Graves-Robinson(b.1929 NC - d. 1979 NJ)contact me dpr2aps@aol.com

Jerry Graves-NC-NJ

Posted: 1 May 2001 1:53PM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2005 10:59PM GMT
My mother Diane Elizabeth Graves was born in Atlantic City NJ in 1933 one of 8 children of Rose Johnson of NC and Jerry Graves. I need to verify this but I believe my grandfather's (Jerry)mother names was Lucinda. I think she was a Cherokee Indian who married a former slave. She was a fiesty woman. Contact me for more details or check myfamily.com (Dickerson History)

Joi Dickerson/Lucinda Graves NC

Donald P. Robinson II (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2001 8:31PM GMT
I received your email here is the inof I have on Lucinda Graves my great grandmother. Her parents were Monroe Nunnally (spelling uncertain) b. 1830 in NC and mother Isabella (?don't know last name} b. 1836 in NC. siblings: Samson b.1861, Robert b.1864, Eliza b.1866, William b.1870, Thomas b.1872, Walter b. 1876 and Ellis b.1878. The Nunnally's lived in Locust Hill Township, Caswell County North Carolina on a farm right next door to where my family lived (The Graves) Lucinda married my great grandfather James D. Graves Sr who was born in 1849 in Caswell Co. NC. They had 6 children, Ida Graves b.1872 who married Alvis Russell; Jules Graves b. 1881 and died in his teens; Robert Graves b.1882 no records on him; Littleton Graves b. 1886 married Esther Thompson from Grover NC; Mary Graves b.1897 who married Albert Poteat; and James D. Graves b.1901 (my grandfather) who married Bessie Thompson from Grover NC. Well Joi i hope this helped keep in touch.

Lucinda Brandon Graves-NC

Posted: 1 May 2001 11:09PM GMT
My grandfather's mother's maiden name was Lucinda Brandon-she married a Graves.
Together they had:
William Royal Graves-Greensboro,NC
Safronia Graves Died in 1980 in NYC
Brandon Graves-NC died young in accident
Jerry Esaias Gravesborm approx.1904 NC

My grandfather married? Rose Francis Johnson and they came from North Carolina to Atlantic City, NJ and had 8 children,Geraldine D. Graves, Gertrude Graves, Jerry Graves, Will Graves, Grace Graves, Diane E. Graves, Rosemarie Graves and Brandon Graves.

Lucinda Graves

Posted: 11 May 2001 11:24AM GMT
My great grandmother was Lucinda Brandon, the daughter of Maria Mason-a free white woman and ? Brandon.
Lucinda married James Willis Graves in Caswell County, NC and became Lucinda Graves, the couple had my maternal grandfather Jerry Esais Graves who married Rose Francis Johnson.
I heard rumors that Rose was his scond wife and they they were never officially married but had eight children. My mother Diane Elizabeth Graves being one of them.

Re: James D. Graves b. 1849 Caswell Co. NC

Rana Dotson (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2002 11:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Was Arthur Graves a Black man? Looking for great-grandfather possibly lived in KY, moved to CA in late 1920's.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic