Search for content in message boards

Hyde Family

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 5:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hyde, Wattis, Lee, Miner
My name is Cynthia Vaughan, granddaughter of Fernando Guy Hyde born to Joshua Squire Hyde and Nancy Pamelia Lee on July 6, 1887. My grandfather was one of twelve children of Joshua Squire Hyde.My grandfather was born in Evergreen, LA. Joshua Hyde is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery, Webster Parish, LA. The children of Joshua and Nancy were as follows:Bertha Ann Hyde B-11/29/1874 D-9/2/1882; William Lee Hyde B-9/4/1876 D- ? Pineville, LA; James Dorsey Hyde B-3/23/1878 D-?; Joshua Ellis Hyde b-8/13/1879 D-10/6/1906; Mattie Alice (Martha)Hyde Wattis b-7/18//1881 D-? Buried in the Cotton Valley, LA Cemetery; Thomas Gordy Hyde B 2/6/1884
D-? Buried in the Cotton Valley, LA Cemetery; Frank Abner Hyde B10/15/1885 D-11-1-1887;Fernando Guy Hyde B-7/6/1887 D7/13/1980 Buried in the Hyde Plot Cotton Valley Cemetery, Cotton Valley LA; Nannie Mack HydeB-6/6/1891 D-? Waldo, AR;
Vera Vesta Hyde B-2/11/1893 D ?; Nellie Omega Hyde B-6/8/1894 D-3/17/1908; Manila Lillian Hyde B-4/11/1896 D-? Longview, TX.

After Nancy's death Joshua married Salley Miner(Minor?)They hhad one daughter.Estelle B-? D-? Buried Waldo, AR

Fernando married Sarah Jeanette Leggett of Evergreen, LA
They had three daughters: Amelia Imogene Hyde Farris B2//18/1914 D-12-4-1997; my mother Thelma Jeanette Hyde VVaughan B11/24/1918 D-3/12/1983.

I hope this information is of value to some of you searching the Hyde genealogy.

Re: Hyde Family

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 1:28PM GMT
Surnames: HYDE
Good morning, Cynthia - It was a pleasant surprise to see your Hyde post. I have worked on this Hyde line for many years, and it has been frustrating.I suspect that you have hit many of the same snags. The information I have been able to collect is far from fully verified, and many questions remain. My connection to this line is through Mattie Alice Hyde Wattis, who was a distant cousin to my maternal grandfather, William Charles Lunsford Gleason of Cotton Valley. He and his wife adopted my mother in 1928. William's wife died shortly thereafter (1930). William was a college professor and away from home much of the time. My mother stayed in Cotton Valley with Mattie and Jordan Wattis, and we all grew up thinking of her as our 3rd grandmother.

I expect there are some discrepancies to be resolved. I have Joshua listed as being buried at Shiloh Cemetery in Waldo, Arkansas.

I have Bertha's death at 9/1/1882 from Malaria. There is a headstone at Old Homer Cemetery for "Little Daughter Hyde" - 9/1/1882. Have never been sure if this is Bertha. She would have been 7 years old and it's odd that they did not use her name.

I have William dying at 3/4/1971 and being buried at Shiloh in Waldo. He was married to Piety C (Catherine? She was also referred to as Katie?). I believe they had 2 children - Ollie & Lilla.

I have James Dorsey died 10/30/1953 at Hope, Arkansas and also buried at Shiloh in Waldo. He appears to have been married twice - to a Lenora Blackwell and a Mary E.

Mattie Alice died April 10, 1974 in Cotton Valley and is buried in Cotton Valley Cemetery (also known as Airport Cemetery). She married Jordan Wattis in 1900. Jordan was born 8/28/1877 and died 3/27/1939. He is also buried in Cotton Valley Cemetery. Mattie and Jordan had 4 children of their own. One died at less than a year old. The other three were Telton Elvin, Mary Gladys and Ethel Amelia. My mother was with them from about 1930 until she finished college and started teaching around WWII. She met my father near the end of WWII, married him, and they moved to Ohio where he had been raised.

I have Thomas Gordy born 2/6/1883 and died 5/31/1955 in Cotton Valley. He married Lucy Wise about 1903 and they had at least 2 children - a daughter named Ora Ruth and a son whose name I don't have.

I had Frank Abner born 10/15/1886?

Nannie Mack Hyde Hudgens died 4/30/1977 in Eldorado, Arkansas, and is buried in Shiloh Cemetery at Waldo.

Vera Vesta died 7/31/1967 and is buried at Shiloh Cemetery at Waldo.

I have sketchy info on Marrila/Manila and have not confirmed either name. I believe that she went by Lillian, born 4/11/1896, died 12/5/1993, probably in Longview, TX. She married a McKay according to family memory.

Joshua and his 2nd wife Sarah "Sally" Miner had a daughter Willie Estelle Hyde, born 9/16/1908 and died 9/15/1963. She is buried in Shiloh Cemetery at Waldo.

I hope this helps you add to the data that you have discovered. Your info has added to mine. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to share further.

Randy G. Herbert
Baltimore, MD

Re: Hyde Family

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 7:45PM GMT
Edited: 16 Feb 2013 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: Hyde
Randy,
what a surprise to your receive your timely response. I grew up in F.G.'s home after my parents divorced in 1952. I was fortunate to be able to sit at the knees of Aunt Mattie, Uncle Lee and Uncle Tom and listen to the stories of their childhood together. I know that Mary Gladys had one Down's child named Ronnie. Ethel had 1 son Grady Jr. I don't remember about Telton. Uncle Tom lived across the road from us. My brother John and I were the one's who found him when he passed away. He had been mowing his lawn and had a major heart attack. He had three children
Ruth, Pernel, and Curtis. Ruth married Huey Howell and they had four sons...Delbert, John Carl, Hugh, and Jack. I know that J.C. and Jack are deceased. Hugh lives outside Magnolia, AR. I've lost touch with Delbert, but he used to live outside Dallas.

My mother's youngest sister Annie Maude Hyde Stephenson is living and may be able to provide some additional information. She is 91 but pretty cognitively with the program.

Uncle Lee was residing with his son Ollie in Pineville, LA when he expired. Ollie had two daughters who were missionaries.

Tom's son Curtis was married to "Dixie" and resided in Odessa, TX. they had two adopted children Mary and I don't remember the son's name.

Pernel was married to Noreida Bond. They had one son Travis. Pernel died and Noreida remarried an officer in the USAF. They were stationed in England and she did a complete genealogy search on the Hyde famil. I have been able to research to the point that the Hyde's are descended from the Stuart line in Scotland. Edward Hyde was the Earl of Clarenden under King Charles II and was the 1st provincial governor of the Charlestown Colony in SC. It was established @ Charlestown Landing. Edward's daughter Anne (with child)was the 1st wife of James, Duke of York the future King James II of England and VII of Scotland. They were the parents of Mary II of England and Scotland and Anne of Great Britain. Anne and James II are buried in Westminister Abbey, London, Eng. I will be going there this summer and plan to take pictures if possible.

Pernel and Norieda's son Travis careered in the Air Force and worked for the EPA post military retirement. He was residing with his wife Burma in San Antonio, TX when he expired from cancer in 2011.

Aunt Vera's was married to Jess Minor. Their son James lives in the Northeast Texas area and their daughter still resides in the Waldo area.

I will be speaking with my Aunt Ann and tell her of our contact with each other. If you would like to contact her, her phone number is A/C 318-686-1951. She is hard of hearing so you will have to speak loudly.

I remember that there was distant kin with the Gleason's but I'm not sure of my facts on that. Aunt Mattie ran a boarding house across from the Cotton Valley Cemetery and Mr. Gleason resided there for a while.

Thank you so much for shaing your information with me. It will be very valuable to pass on to my one nephew and his family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic