Search for content in message boards

Indian tribes in around Louisiana in 1800,also indian tribe information for Vernon and Rapides Louisiana

Indian tribes in around Louisiana in 1800,also indian tribe information for Vernon and Rapides Louisiana

Earlene Laney (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 1999 2:29PM GMT
Looking ror information on the on the indian tribe that is in rapides parrish around Hinston and Gardner off the old Alexander Leesville Highway. I think that it is hwy 8 or 28. All help would be appreciated. Thanks

central louisiana

shirley (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 1999 2:58PM GMT
Heard this week about two "groups" of Native Americans from Rapides or nearby. The first groups is identified as "Flatwoods"--or their area was called Flatwood--and today I heard of the Clifton Choctaws--from the same area. Please let me know if you find anything on Native Americans of that area. shirleyroot2@yahoo.com

clifton choctaw

Posted: 24 Mar 2000 11:53PM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2001 2:31AM GMT
yes there ia a group called clifton, the last i checked, they weren't releasing any names as they were trying to get recognized. i will try to look up more info that i have. mc-neese university in lake charles has a loy of info on that area, also library at leesville,la. and lake charles. melissa
Posted: 25 Nov 2000 5:57PM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2002 2:30PM GMT
If you do find any information, would you please e-mail me also. I am looking for information on John Wesley Brown (either Choctaw or Cherokee)m Martha Elizabeth (maiden name unknown--Choctaw or Cherokee)--Married a Curry and had Lee Sabine Curry, then married John Wesley Brown and had my grandmother --Ollie May Brown, Glover Cleveland, John W. Jr, Delie Brown, Bertha Olivia Brown. Martha E. died as a Yorke/Yorka/Yorbe/York/. From what I understand, they shipped Ggrandfather Brown to some where on the Red River in LA where he was buried. No one seems to know where or why! Grandmother Ollie passed away when Mom was 3 yrs old, and Mama passed in December 1990. No other information is known. If you or someone could help, I would deeply appreciate it.

Re: Indian tribes in around Louisiana in 1800,also indian tribe information for Vernon and Rapides Louisiana

Posted: 18 Apr 2002 5:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jun 2009 12:08PM GMT
Choctaw settled specifically in that area you inquire about, of Hineston-Gardner and farther west. They were remnants of Mississippi Choctaw who fled the Wars with their cousins, the Creek tribe. King Brandy was the last known Chief of that tribe, he lived with a MARLER family late in life and was last located on the 1910 Indian Schedules of the U. S. Census for Rapides Parish and was over 100 years old when he died. He had many daughters, so names vary, and then there were many illegitimate births, in and outside tribal members.
The Clifton Choctaw may have some members descended from that group, for the Choctaw lived farther to the South of the Clifton's present location.
Other primary tribes who settled in the larger Rapides area were other Eastern Tribes: Appalache, Mobile, Alibama, Tensas, Pascagoula, Biloxi. These all came to the Rapide Post earlier than the Choctaw.

Re: Indian tribes in around Louisiana in 1800,also indian tribe information for Vernon and Rapides Louisiana

Posted: 4 Feb 2005 5:31AM GMT
Earlene,

There is a tribe between Mora, La. and the Gardner Hwy. in which this road comes out to that Hwy. And the Clifton-Chotaw Indians live between there. Call my sister Joyce Rister and she can tell you about that. She lives at Mora, La.

Judy(Bynog) Williamson

Posted: 11 Feb 2005 3:57AM GMT
Earlene,

I posted a reply on 2-3-2005, but I forgot to leave a phone # to Joyce Rister, my sister. It is 318-793-8185.

Judy(Bynog) Williamson

Re: clifton choctaw

Posted: 17 Jun 2009 2:46AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2009 12:10PM GMT
hello i'm from lousiana and my backround is clifton chataw
my grand father was riley cliton of the clifton land on clifton rd..... i'm trying to find out more history into my roots for me and my kids i have some further information like other names and stuff but i need more myself....

please help i can help with what i can.

Posted: 9 Feb 2012 4:00PM GMT
Surnames: TYLER/CLIFTON
Since yours was the last message on this site, I will reply to you. I think that I have made a discovery in one of my VA families that could impact your geneology. You will need to check out the 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880 census records of Rapides Parish. Look for Rachel/Rachael Clifton and Edward W. Tyler. I have read that Rachael's husband was Daniel; however, she continued to use the name of Clifton even though she is living with Edward W. Tyler and she has several sons with the last name of Tyler. If you have ancestry, it's easy to check these census records.
In the census records, Rachel Clifton is listed as M as well as her children. In most census records, an M stands for Mullato, but it could probably be anyone with mixed race ancestry. Let me know if anyone would like to check into what I have found. If I am correct, this man would be the son of Edmund Tyler and Sarah Calthrope who was the daughter of Charles Calthrope and Eleanor Clifton. As you will see, the names run in the Calthrope/Tyler families. Edward had a brother named Jeremiah Tyler.

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 11:03PM GMT
HI MY NAME IS TRACEY TYLER ON MY FACEBOOK THERE IS A TYLER & CLIFTON PAGE FEEL FREE TO JOIN
I AM ALWAYS DOING RESERCH
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions