Posted: 18 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 4:25PM GMT
Surnames: McMahon, Starr, Kennedy, Kirley
Badger Blade
April 24, 1925
OLD DOYLESTOWN RESIDENT DEAD
AGED WOMAN DIED AT HOME OF DAUGHTER, LAST FRIDAY AFTERNOON

Another of Columbia county's most aged and respected residents has been called by death. Mrs. Elizabeth McMahon passed away of heart failure, Friday afternoon, at the home of her daughter Mrs. Susan Kennedy at Doylestown.

Elizabeth Starr was born in the state of New York, Aug. 13th, 1846, and came to Wisconsin when two years old, where she resided since. On Nov 4th, 1863, she united in marriage to J.E. McMahon, and to them 10 children were born - Susan, Josephine, William, Edward, Steven, John Jr., Mary, Hugh, Martha and Eaver. Hugh, John Jr. , and Martha (Mrs. A.B. Kirley) have preceded her in death.

To those who knew the deceased well she was on of God's noble women. Very intelligent, very competent, having had vast experience in many walks of life which made her a splendid companion. Always willing to assist with her learning those in need of her powers, she was often accorded the "angel of mercy" in many a sick room. Her place will be hard to fill. Her memory will never fade.

The funeral was held from St. Patrick's Catholic church, Monday morning, Rev. H.J. Schmitt officiating, and she was buried in the family lot in the presence of a large gathering of friends.

The following from a distance were present at the funeral: Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Higgins, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Raleigh and son Gordon, Mrs. Jessie Thomas, Mrs. Helen McClarence, Mrs. W.J. Breene, M.J. Kennedy, Bert Higgins, Melvin McMahon, Mrs. Wm Dalke, all of Chicago; Mrs. Elizabeth Logan and Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Hudson and William of Waukegan; Ancil Starr and son Cutler of Onomia, Minn.; Mrs. J.J. Fisher, Mrs. And Mrs. Eaver McMahon and children John and Katheryn, Milwaukee; Steven McMahon, Sheldon, Wis.; the Misses Betsy and Mary A. Kirley of Poynette; Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Salzman, Endeavor; John H. McMahon, Peter McMahon, Mrs. Oliver, Mrs. Chas. Hughes, Pardeeville; Mr. and Mrs. Will McMahon, Mrs. H. Johnson and son Cyril, Mary, Eugene, Carl and Ralph McMahon, and Mr. and Mrs. Paul McMahon and son of Portage; David and Chas. Crinion, Beaver Dam; John Dargan and Ed Hughes of Columbus; Mrs. Loyd Jones, Hampden; Mrs. E.F. McMahon and family Doylestown; Mr. and Mrs. Irvin McMahon, Beaver Dam.

Five grandsons, Carl, Eugene and Irvin McMahon, Leo Kennedy and Bernard Kirley and a nephew Cutler Starr were the pall bearers.

Re: Elizabeth (Starr) McMahon

Diane (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2002 12:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCLARENCE
Tim:

I noticed your posting on Elizabeth Doyle's death in the 1920s. In it was listed a sister named Helen McCLARENCE. I am researching my G-Grandparents who immigrated to Bureau County, Illinois from Durham County, England in 1881. I wonder if Helen McCLARENCE might have been married to one of my Grandmother's brothers?? If you have any informatiojn on this, I would like to hear from you.

Thank you.
Diane Nelson
Indianapolis, IN

Tim Coulthart (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2002 1:53AM GMT
She was listed as an attended from Chicago, not as a sister, I am not sure of how she fits into the family, sorry.
TIM

Diane (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2002 4:21AM GMT
Thanks for the clarification, Tim. I should have read the announcement more closely. Diane

peggy johnstone (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2002 2:42AM GMT
Hi stranger! I saw this posting on the message board after receiving John J. McClarence's death certificate. On it, his wife Helen was listed with McMahon as a maiden name, so I think it is highly likely that the Helen McClarence listed in this obit is our Helen. I thought she might have been from Chicago area. I wonder if maybe she wasn't from New York area. Talk to you soon.

peg

peggy johnstone (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2002 2:44AM GMT
One more thing... Helen attended this funeral six weeks after her husband was run over by a train. Yikes! What a tragic Spring for her.

Peg

Posted: 30 May 2007 12:18AM GMT
Diane,
I know your message was posted a long time ago, but Elizabeth was a STARR, not a DOYLE. DEB

Posted: 30 May 2007 12:30AM GMT
Hi,
I was reading thru the message boards and I saw that you responded about Elizabeth Starr McMahon, that there was a Helen McClarence that on her husbands death certificate that said her maiden name was McMahon, do you have any idea who her parents were? I am descended from Eliz. & John E. McMahon, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Deb

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 7:21PM GMT
Surnames: McMAHON, McCLARENCE
Deb:
I have not identified the parents of Helen McMAHON McClarence, my G-Aunt. I have only found her in 2 census years so far: 1910 (McMahon)and 1920 (McCLARENCE) in Chicago, Cook, Illinois. Both census note her born in about 1882 in WI - Father born in NY - Mother born in English speaking Canada. She was b. 9 Oct 1882 and died in Chicago on 21 July 1937. Her parents names are not listed on her death certificate. She was widowed in March 1925 when her husband, John J. McCLARENCE, was run over by a train. She and John had 1 child - Richard Francis McCLARENCE. I do think Helen was related to your McMAHONs in that she attended Elizabeth (Starr) McMahon's funeral ... but she doesn't appear to be one of John and Elizabeth's 10 children. I hope this helps you out in some way. I would really appreciate your passing on the information if you come across her name in your research.

Diane - gengirl03@hotmail.com

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 7:24PM GMT
Surnames: Starr, McMahon
Thanks for the surname correction re Elizabeth STARR McMahon. I appreciate it.

Diane
per page

Find a board about a specific topic