Search for content in message boards

Brick Wall Please Help!

Brick Wall Please Help!

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 11:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tinker
I am at a loss for words. I have desperately been trying to locate my husbands 4 x Great Grandfather. He lived in Washington County, TN most of his life before dying in Cocke County and is buried there. I know that Washington Co. TN used to be Washington County North Carolina. He was born in North Carolina, and I suspect it was Washington County.I have him first appearing in Washington County Tennessee in 1800 as his oldest son was born there. His name was Abraham Tinker and he married a lady named Polly we do not know her last name. It was not Polly Hobday as some sources try to attribute it to being. She married Edward Tinker of Craven Co. NC, no relation between the two. Now, Abraham was born 1 Oct. 1775 in North Carolina. I do not really know where. Just goin on a hunch that it may have been Old Washington County, North Carolina. Any thoughts?

Re: Brick Wall Please Help!

Posted: 2 Mar 2011 12:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
An area that became Tenn was originally named Washington County, but that county was dissolved before 1799, which was when the present-day Washington County, NC was formed from Tyrrell County (more land was annexed in 1801 from Tyrrell to Washington). Washington County, NC is on the east coast, south of the Albemarle Sound. It's only relationship to the county that used to exist is that they have the same name.

This site has a brief historical background on Tenn:
http://www.tngenweb.org/pre1796/

One problem for you is that a lot of people from North Carolina migrated west and settled in Tenn - they came from all over - there were some who left Tyrrell County prior to 1799, and went there, then more left after 1800 (some from Tyrrell County, some from Washington County). Given the dates you mention, you might have better luck posting a query on the Tyrrell County forum instead of here, since your husband's ancestor was in Tenn before modern day Washington County was even formed. You might want to put a query in at every NC county that was in existence between 1775 and 1800, covering the birth year and the first year you know he was in Tenn. You can find a listing of the dates when counties were formed, and which other counties they might have been formed out of, here:

http://www.ncgenweb.us/county-list

Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions