Search for content in message boards

Winney/Blessing_ Seek Family Photograph and Native American Info

Winney/Blessing_ Seek Family Photograph and Native American Info

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 4:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Blesing/Blessing; Winney
I believe my family and I have gotten back to where a Native American came into the family but I have questions...

1.) First of all I am searching for a photo of my GGGrandfather, William Henry Winney, b. 1843, Wisconsin. I believe his Grandmother or GGrandmother was the Indian. William Henry Winney's mother was Anna Eliza (Blessing) Winney (1826 VA - 1909 WI ). I have photos of a couple of William's siblings (who are dark) but would like to find a photo of my GGGrandfather to see what he looks like. I have a photo of Anna Eliza (Blessing) Winney but it was taken when she was very old and one can't really tell if she was anything but white. (Would anyone have a photo of Anna Eliza (Blessing) Winney when she was young?) I have a wedding photo of her grandaughter- my GGrandmother-- and she looks very pretty and rather olive complected. It is said that my Grandfather "preferred" my one aunt because she reminded him of his mother: with raven hair and olive-complected.

2.) There MIGHT be an Eliza Wolfe who is either Anna Eliza's mother or Grandmother who is the Indian. Eliza was born in either Missouri or West Virginia. She died in 1839, before the family moved from that area of the country to Wisconsin where her daughters got married in Grant County, WI.
Anna Eliza (Blessing) Winney's father was Abraham Blessing of Virginia, b. abt 1795. After he got his daughters settled in Grant Co., WI, he moved on to California where he died in the snowy mountains. Anna Eliza always said that those circumstances are exactly how she would like to die...

Thanks for any help.
Kathleen
LPurch6636@aol.com

Re: Winney/Blessing_ Seek Family Photograph and Native American Info

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 4:04PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

1940 is the last available census at this time.

Facts you should know about the early census records –

All census records [1790 – 1840] prior to the 1850 census ONLY listed the head of household; whether male or female.

NO specific age was stated for any family member
NO place of birth was stated – city, state, or country
NO city, town, or village is stated – only the county; however some census takers listed the township
NO street address was stated
NO marital status was stated – single, married, widowed, or divorced
NO family relationship was stated – brother, sister, cousin, son, daughter, wife, inlaw, etc…
NO occupation was stated
NO parental birthplaces are stated
NO race was stated [but assume “white”]

1850, 1860 & 1870 census records do not show family relationships, marital status or parental birthplaces.

Step children are not enumerated as “step” children
Adopted children are not enumerated as “adopted”
Grand children are not enumerated as “grand children”
Orphaned children were not enumerated as "orphan"

1850 is the 1st census that shows all family members

1880 is the 1st census that shows parental birthplaces and family relationships +++

1900 -
Anna Eliza (Blessing) Winney (1826 VA - 1909 WI) is not listed on this WISC census.

1850 - ALL FAMILY MEMBERS ARE LISTED AS WHITE
Name: William H Winney
Birth Year: abt 1846
Birthplace: Wisconsin
Home in 1850: District 24, Grant, Wisconsin

William J Winney 28, NY - farmer
Ann E Winney 22, MO or ??
William H Winney 4, WISC
Ann E Winney 2, WISC

1860 -
Name: William H Winney
Age in 1860: 15
Birth Year: abt 1845
Home in 1860: Glen Haven, Grant, Wisconsin
Post Office: Charlotte

William Winney 39, NY
Ann E Winney 32, VA
William H Winney 15, WISC TERR
Anna E Winney 12, WISC TERR
Martha Winney 9, WISC TERR
Luther Winney 7, WISC TERR
Arthur Winney 4, WISC TERR
Caroline A Winney 1, WISC TERR

1870 -

1880 -
Name: Wm. H. Winney
Birth Year: abt 1847
Home in 1880: Glen Haven, Grant, Wisconsin
Race: White [all family members are WHITE]
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Dora Winney
Father's Birthplace: New York
Mother's Birthplace: Missouri

Wm. H. Winney 33, WI
Dora Winney 27, WI
Annie Winney 17, WI
Cora Winney 9, WI
Wm. Winney 5, WI
Sybll Winney 3, WI

You wrote - "Eliza was born in either Missouri or West Virginia." WVA was not a state at the time period in question.

Re: Winney/Blessing_ Seek Family Photograph and Native American Info

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 11:12PM GMT
Surnames: Blessing/Blesing; Winney
Thank you so much for all your work...

Thanks for correcting me on the Virginia/West Virginia issue. I knew that there was a change where West Virginia was split off from Virginia but I didn't know when...

It's funny about how Census takers would look at the most dark, obviously non-white people and call them "white."
I have some family photos from that side of the family though many members were obviously "not fully white," especially the women of the family, they were listed as "White." Perhaps they had the whitest looking person come to the door when the Census taker came !
But then there were many mixed races in the Indian territories and what was not tolerated in society in general was overlooked when -- as in my GGGGrandfather's case since he was the county constable -- was tolerated. I wonder how the Census taker wrote down the race of James Earl Jones's family-- he's white, Indian and Black !

Thanks very much again...

Kathleen
LPurch6636@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions