Search for content in message boards

Did any tribe of Native Americans have thick, Negro-like hair, esp. in Missouri or Virginia?

Did any tribe of Native Americans have thick, Negro-like hair, esp. in Missouri or Virginia?

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 4:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bles/Blessing; Winney
No one can figure out where my white brother got his aboriginal -type of hair, meaning thick and kinky. The Native American ancestor we are seeking was from Missouri and/or Virginia in the very early 1800s. Were there any Indian tribes who had kinky hair? We are seeking this Native American woman who might be named Eliza Wolfe.

Thanks very much...

Kathleen
LPurch6636@aol.com

Re: Did any tribe of Native Americans have thick, Negro-like hair, esp. in Missouri or Virginia?

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 4:52AM GMT
I am wondering the same about my deceased mom and one of my 2 younger sisters.They both had/have this very black and wiry curly hair.A hairdresser once told my sister she has the closest thing to a black woman's hair on a white woman's head that she has ever seen!My mom was from Missouri and we have yet to confirm any Native blood for sure but she said she'd remembered her dad as a "big Indian."Some of my mom's ancestors looked"ethnic"and so did my mom some have said.~Sharon Goemaere

Re: Did any tribe of Native Americans have thick, Negro-like hair, esp. in Missouri or Virginia?

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 1:33AM GMT
If you are searching - start with the family tree, and especially pictures of your ancestors. Don't "assume" anything (like "I assume there is Native American" etc)

A "quick answer" might be a dna check :)

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 4:42PM GMT
Dawes Rolls
Final Rolls of the Citizens and Freedmen of the Five Civilized Tribes in Indian Territory:
http://www.archives.gov/research/native-americans/dawes/roll...

Freedmen of the Five Civilized Tribes,Black Indians.
Runaway African slaves often found new homes in American Indian villages. Even though classified as "slaves" in White society, many African Americans became part of an INDIAN family group, and many intermarried with Native Americans thus many later became classified as Black Indians. This is a unique history between African (black) slaves and Native American Indians which developed in many
U. S. communities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Indians_in_the_United_Sta...

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 4:00PM GMT
Was supposedly a tribe/group of people of Negro -Indian descent called Melungeons. A cross between runaway slaves and indigineous people of VA/KY region.

Posted: 6 Jan 2014 8:19PM GMT
Hi Kathleen, one of the surnames on my family tree is Wolfe. I have an Eliza Wolfe in my family tree and they were part Black and part Native American. They are originally from Virginia.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic