Search for content in message boards

William Henry Large family from Missouri

William Henry Large family from Missouri

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 12:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Large, Messenger
I am looking for my great grandfather William Henry Large's parents from Missouri? William Henry Large was born December 3, 1868 Missouri/Indian Territory. He had three sisters, Mary, Mable and Nellie. Are any of these ancestors of mine part of your family tree? There was also a uncle Sherman and a step brother Robert (Robbie) Messenger. If so please email me at kwellard@telus.net

Re: William Henry Large family from Missouri

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 4:42PM GMT
Do you have more info on William Henry? Who did he marry and where? How about his sisters, who did they marry? Where do you pick up Wm on the census? Where did he die, and when?

That info can help us to help you more efficiently :)

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 10:02PM GMT
William Henry Large was born in Missouri in 1868. The first census I found him in is the California, Great Registers, 1866-1910, it was for Voters Registration on September 3rd, 1892, Chico, Butte, California, United States. He was 24 years old.
The next record I have for William is when he married my great grandmother, Alta Johnny Dofflemyer, April 4th, 1897. They were married in Choctaw City, Oklahoma. I do not know how or where they met.
I found them in the 1900 census, William and Alta who were living in Oklahoma Territory. I found the family in Jackson County, OK in the 1910 census, William says he was born in Missouri in this census. They listed their children, Augusta Clay Large born in 1898, my grandmother Gladys Ola Large, born in 1902 in Dixon Oklahoma, Archie Orbria Large, born 1904 in Broken Arrow Oklahoma.
William and Alta divorced, I do not have a date for this event.
I found William in the 1930 Census, living in Earlsboro, Pottaawatomie Oklahoma, with a Minnie Belle Lurye and her children, Marvin Lurye, Lurline Lurye, Galda Lurye, and Wanda Lurye. There was also a border in their home at this time, Virgil Owens. In this census William states that his mother was born in Kansa and his father was born in Kentucky.
In the 1940 census William and Minnie Belle are now married. They are living in Ward 4, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, United States and William gives his birthplace as Indian Territory. William is 73 years old and Minnie Belle Large is 58 years old.
William Henry Large passed away before Minnie Belle Large, but I do not know when. I found Minnie Belle Large’s burial site and headstone in Sunny Lane Cemetery Sec 4, Oklahoma County, she passed away on March 29, 1959.
I understand William Henry Large’s mother’s name was Winona, she was a Choktaw and Cherokee Indian, she was 88 years old when she passed away in around 1923. I have seen a photo of her and writing where she was referred to as Choktaw Indian Grandmother Messenger Large. I have not been able to find any records on her what so ever. I have some notes on a page from a great aunt that says Harrah Oklahoma, Choctaw Cemetery.
William had three sisters, Nellie, Mary and Maybell. I have no information or photos of Maybell. Nellie was quite a bit younger than William Henry, born around 1892. I found a newspaper article about Nellie Large, dated 1911, she was 19 years old, Kansas City MO. Nellie purchased two acres in the Ozarks, I have pictures of her as a young woman, middle aged woman and pictures of a oil rig being drilled beside her house in the Ozarks.
I have a newspaper clipping of Nellie Large’s husband William C Leech obituary. Unfortunately there is no date on it. He was survived by his mother Mary and his brothers George Leech, Earl Leech and Del Leech. He was buried in the Rose Hill Cemetery in Oklahoma City.
There is also a family connection to Robert Messenger (Robbie), I am not sure if he is a cousin or a step brother to William Henry Large. Robert Messenger was also born in Missouri, he was born in 1884. I found Robert Messenger in the 1940 Californian Census, living in Redding California, single, working for the post office as a custodian. Robert looked after Nellie in her last years, and then ended up in the Odd Fellows retirement home in Redding California.
I believe Mary Large Williams sister married Glen Thompson, of Hazelton Kansas. We have a photo of a horse and wagon and on the side of the wagon is a sign for Glen Thompson Trucking, license 8-8067, 3-3513
I also have photos of William Henry Large as a young man and later in his life. If you have any of these people in your family, if you could kindly email me at kwellard@telus.net

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 5:00AM GMT
I'm not related, just trying to help :)

You may have this census, but since you didn't mention it (or else I just missed it in your post), am going to go ahead and post it:

1920 United States Federal Census

Name: William H Large
Birth Year: abt 1868
Birthplace: Kansas
Home in 1920: Hugo Ward 2, Choctaw, Oklahoma
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Ledia Large
Father's Birthplace: Kentucky
Mother's Birthplace: Missouri
Home Owned: Rent
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Household Members: Name & Age
William H Large 52
Ledia Large 39
May Harden 14

Then there is this one:

1880 United States Federal Census

Name: H. William Large
Birth Year: abt 1867
Home in 1880: Maple Hill, Wabaunsee, Kansas
Relation to Head of House: Son
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Agusta Messenger
Father's Birthplace: Missouri
Mother's Name: E. Julia Messenger
Household Members: Name Age
Agusta Messenger 23
E. Julia Messenger 35
C. Mary Large 15
H. William Large 13
E. Sarah Large 10
A. Charles Large 1

Tracing Julia, find her in 1900:

1900 United States Federal Census

Name: Julia Messinger
Birth Date: Oct 1845
Birthplace: Missouri
Home in 1900: Elk, Oklahoma, Oklahoma
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Widowed
Father's Birthplace: Maryland
Mother's Birthplace: Ohio
Mother: number of living children: 5
Mother: How many children: 9
Julia Messinger 54
Barbra Messinger 18
Robert M Messinger 17

This gives us Robert. He appears to be half-brother to William.

Kansas State Census Collection, 1855-1925

Name: Robert M Mesenger
Census Date: 1 Mar 1895
Residence County: Wabaunsee
Residence State: Kansas
Locality: Maple Hill
Birth Location: Missouri
Family Number: 5
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Line: 29
Roll: v115_156
Household Member(s): Name & Age
A Mesenger 38
J E Mesenger 49
Barbary A Mesenger 13
Robert M Mesenger 11
Catharine Kemp 75

1910 United States Federal Census

Name: Robert M Messenger
Age in 1910: 27
Birth Year: abt 1883 [1883]
Home in 1910: Oklahoma City Ward 8, Oklahoma, Oklahoma
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)[Head]
Father's Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Mother's Name: Gula Edna Downing
Robert M Messenger 27
Gula Edna Downing 64

U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

Name: Robert Manual Messenger
City: Oklahoma City
County: Oklahoma
State: Oklahoma
Birth Date: 22 Apr 1883
Draft Board: 3

1920 United States Federal Census

Name: Robert M Messinger
Birth Year: abt 1884
Home in 1920: Oklahoma City Ward 4, Oklahoma, Oklahoma
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Mother's Name: Julie Downing
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Julie Downing 75
Robert M Messinger 36

U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Name: Robert Manue Messinger
Birth Place: Sl Clair County, Missouri
Residence: Redding, California

California, Death Index, 1940-1997

Name: Robert M Messenger
Social Security #: 563467300
Birth Place: Missouri
Death Date: 21 Oct 1974
Death Place: Santa Clara

1870 United States Federal Census

Name: William H Large
Age in 1870: 4
Birth Year: abt 1866
Home in 1870: Douglass, Jackson, Kansas
Post Office: Mount Florence
James Large 25
Julia Large 24
Mary C Large 6
William H Large 4
Sarah E Large 1

James M. Large and Julia E. Hemp were married Douglass Twp, Jackson Co KS 6 Dec 1863

Haven't seen the name Winona yet.

Let me know what you think and we can follow up from there.

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 8:36PM GMT
Thank you very much for all of your efforts. From what information I have and what you have found, I believe these are my missing ancestors. After reading the information I called my Dad who is 82 and went over the information with him and he believes these are his family as well. We now know the Messenger Large family connection, and the written information mentioning, Grandma Large Messenger, lived to be 88, confirms it.
The connection with William Henry Large and Robert Messenger is now resolved. Thank you.
William Henry Large had a sister, Nellie E. Large who is not listed in any of these census, unless she is actually Sara E. and was called Nellie. Nellie lived out her last years with Robert Messenger in California.
I know Nellie was married a few times, one husband William C. Leech. Nellie Large and William Henry Large were the witnesses when my Grandparents Gladys Ola Large and Frank Kiss were married, Nellie signed the form as Nellie E. Leech. I have a copy of this marriage certificate. This event took place December 18, 1923. I have several photos of Nellie Large, one as a young lady the others when she was middle age and then photos of her home with the oil rig drilling beside it. I have not had any luck finding information on Nellie Large/Leech in the census, nor have I had any luck with Mary Large, except for word of mouth that she married a Thompson and the information that was found in a photo with the name Glen Thompson trucking on the side of a horse and wagon.
I am very interested in finding out more info on Julia and James Large. Thank you for finding their marriage information. I am new to the researching my ancestors and appreciate all of your help.
Your find of the 1920 census, with William Henry married to Ledia, was a great find, I had her name in some notes with other info given to me by my sister. I now have the connection.
What to do now? I would love to find more information on Mary and Nellie as well as Charles and Sarah. Where William Henry Large and his mother Julia and father James are buried. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 2:51AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Large, Kemp, Messenger
Today I found William Henry Large's mother's and stepfather's burial plots. They are both buried in Choktaw Cemetery/Elmwood cemetery on the east side of Oklahoma City. I was sure William Henry Large would be buried here but I did not find him.

Elmwood Cemetery, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma

MESSENGER
Aguliea E. Oct 19, 1845 Oct 8, 1928
August Jun 21, 1855 Dec 6, 1898

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 2:51AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Large, Kemp, Messenger
Today I found William Henry Large's mother's and stepfather's burial plots. They are both buried in Choktaw Cemetery/Elmwood cemetery on the east side of Oklahoma City. I was sure William Henry Large would be buried here but I did not find him.

Elmwood Cemetery, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma

MESSENGER
Aguliea E. Oct 19, 1845 Oct 8, 1928
August Jun 21, 1855 Dec 6, 1898
per page

Find a board about a specific topic