Search for content in message boards

george robert scorer

george robert scorer

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 11:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: scorer
i have been searching for george robert scorer since 1989 and come up against dead ends. he has a sister [ could be deceased by now ] elsie in caboolture qld. george was my late father richards father, and i know george passed away in july 1991. george came from england to australia age 20 met annie may newbold 26 on the ship, 1936, as military police made goerge marry annie the day my father was born june 26 1937, richard was 2 yrs old when his baby brother peter died aged 9 months, when richard was 6 years old george went to work one day and never came back i found out he worked as a farm hand in coonabarrabran for around 2 years before going to england or usa, he married again while still married to annie and had 2 daughters names unknown 2nd wife doreen is all i have, george had something to do with army either in england or australia records i cant find, and something to do with a london bus company thats all the info i have... so any help would be much appreciated. thanks leanne mechswaggie@yahoo.com.au

Re: george robert scorer

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 4:14PM GMT
Some of your info appears to be incorrect. George immigrated to Australia with his parents and sister in 1926 on the 'Ormuz'. George was 9 years old.

He enlisted in 1940 at Kogarah http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?serviceId=A&veter...

If you go to the National Archives of Australia website you can search for his service record. It has not been digitised but you can pay for it to be done. Just click on his 'control symbol' link and then 'request copy' on the right hand side of the page. These WW2 service records usually contain photographs.

Debra

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 4:25PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2013 4:29PM GMT
Annie NEWBOLD arrived with her mother Agnes, brother George and sister Margaret in 1929 on the 'Moreton Bay'.

It looks like her father George Thomas had died that same year in Derbyshire. They had moved there from Nottinghamshire.

Debra

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 1:28AM GMT
Perhaps this is the marriage in the UK that you are referring to between George and a woman named Doreen:

George R. SCORER
Spouse: Doreen C. WARD
Registration district: Wandsworth, Surrey
Volume: 5d
Page Number: 1247

If this marriage is correct then it took place after Annie May died. Trees here on Ancestry state she died in Feb 1962.

I strongly doubt that George was forced to marry in 1937 as it is illegal to make anyone marry against their will, and I would hope that they wouldn't find anyone who was willing to perform the ceremony.

George and Annie's son Peter died in 1941 which would have made Richard aged 4, not 2. George was not discharged from the Army till 1944 and those records may contain correspondence that will indicate where he was in the years following. They will also tell you if George had any previous military experience or contact prior to enlisting in 1940.

Debra

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 2:34AM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2013 3:17AM GMT
This is the 1962 death of Annie in NSW:
5932/1962 SCORER ANNIE MAY / GEORGE THOMAS / AGNES FLORENCE / HORNSBY

Not sure if this is the same fellow but this indicates he was still in NSW when your dad was 7.

The Canberra Times, Thursday 19 October 1944
AMAZING ESCAPE FOR POSTAL EMPLOYEE
SYDNEY, Wednesday, - A postal employee, George Robert Scorer, of Kogarah, had an amazing escape from
death this morning when the car he was driving skidded 50 yards and overturned into the front garden of a house in Condamine Street, Manly. His leg was pinned between the brake, clutch and steering wheel. He was taken to hospital with a probable fracture of the pelvis and fractured ribs.

Unless there are two men by the same name?

His military record is spelled as follows:
SCORER GEORGE ROBT : Service Number - NX11163 : Date of birth - 10 Nov 1917 : Place of birth - NEWCASTLE ENGLAND : Place of enlistment - PADDINGTON NSW : Next of Kin - SCORER A

Elsie SCORER married James Walter LAWRENCE in 1949 in Hurstville district NSW (reg 24387). Her husband's death:
LAWRENCE James Walter
Death notice
17JUN1989 Death
late of Caboolture, Queensland, formerly of Mortdale
Sydney Morning Herald 20JUN1989

See Ryerson Index site to do a lookup request of this death notice.

Their mother's death in NSW:
22517/1980 SCORER MAGDALEN LILLIAN / EDWARD HENRY / ANNIE
Their father's death in NSW:
22517/1961 SCORER WILLIAM CHARLTON / GEORGE ROBERT / HANNAH / HURSTVILLE

Their deaths also listed at Ryerson Index.

It appears he (Wm) had a brother named James Hy who died in Hurstville in 1941; possibly another named Joseph Abraham who died in Kurri Kurri in 1963.

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 3:20AM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2013 3:23AM GMT
Interment Record from www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/app/cemeteries/

Surname LAWRENCE
Other Names JAMES WALTER
Date Of Birth
Date Of Burial
Date Of Death 17/06/1989
Age 69
Cemetery Bribie Island Memorial Gardens
Plot Location TRISTANIA SIDE 2 E2

Oh dear, Elsie died only last year:

Surname LAWRENCE
Other Names ELSIE
Date Of Birth 28/01/1924
Date Of Burial
Date Of Death 09/02/2012
Age 88
Cemetery Bribie Island Memorial Gardens
Plot Location TRISTANIA SIDE 2 F2

:(

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 5:50AM GMT
There is a Doreen C Scorer still listed as living at Romford, Essex. UK searches require payment to see the full address. Just put in Doreen C Scorer & Romford, Essex into google to take you to one of the sites.

Regards

Toni White
per page

Find a board about a specific topic