Search for content in message boards

James LOWRY family of Douglas County, Neb 1875-1990

James LOWRY family of Douglas County, Neb 1875-1990

Posted: 16 Sep 2006 2:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Dec 2006 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: LOWRY, SIKES
I am trying to research a LOWRY family from Douglas County, Nebraska, from about 1875 until the present day. According to the 1880 census records I have the following:
Living in Fremont, Douglas County, Nebraska
James Lowry b. 1855 NY carriage maker father NY mother NY
Mary (Sullivan) Lowry b. 1855 IN father IN mother KY
Charley Lowry b. 1874 NB
William Lowry b. 1876 NB
Maud Lowry b. 1880 NB
I believe this family stayed around this part of Nebraska (in Ft. Crook, Norfolk, Omaha, Columbus) until the present time. Other Lowry children born subsequently were, I think, Edna (Miller), Mary, Edward, Ruth, Alice (Warner), George, Charles E. (Earl), Margaret (Sikes) b. 1913
If this information corresponds with what you have and you can add anything else or you would like more information, please contact me directly.

Re: James LOWRY family of Douglas County, Neb 1875-1990

Posted: 5 Nov 2006 4:45AM GMT
Thank you for all of the information which was forwarded.
I need to correct my original posting:
James W. Lowry b 1854/55 IA d 1928 NB
Mary M. Sullivan b 1871 NB d 1925 NB
married about 1891 in NB
James T. b 1892
Edna M. b 1894
Edward F. b 1897
Mary M. b 1899
George W. b 1901/02
Ruth E. b 1903
Clara Alice b 1905
Arthur b 1908
Charles Earl b 1910
Margaret C. b 1913

I would appreciate any and all information on this LOWRY family and on the Timothy O. Sullivan family, as the father of mother Mary above.

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 10:01PM GMT
Surnames: LOWRY
Hi,

I am not related, but in the process of looking for a James Lowry who may (or may not) connect to one of my families, I tracked your James up to his death.

My suspicion is that the James Lowry you found in Fremont in 1880 may not be your James, especially since his birthplace is NY, not Iowa and parents both born NY. This James may be the one I am seeking, although he seems to disappear into thin air.

I found your James in the household of Patrick LOWERY in 1860 in Wapsinonoc, Muscatine, Iowa, age 60, b Ireland, with a wife Mary age 40 b Ire, Thomas 10 b Ire, James 5 b Iowa and Ellen 4 b Iowa. The ages and birthplaces of the children suggest the family immigrated between 1850 and 1854.

In 1870 Patrick LOWREY is in Omaha, listed as age 61 (obviously the 1860 census age was a little high...), with James 15 and Ellen 13 living with him.

I could not find them in 1880--unless the group found in Fremont is him. However, in later censuses with his family it says that was his first marriage, ca 1881.

In 1889 and 1890, James W. Lowry is listed in the Omaha City Directory in South Omaha. His business name was Christ & Lowrey, in the Delmonico Hotel. Proprietors: Mrs. Ella T. Christ and James W. Lowry . In 1890 his address was given as 2623 N.

In 1910 he and his family are in Bellevue in Sarpy Co., Nebraska (south of Omaha) and he was a saloon keeper. From then on I'm sure you have the later censuses.

In 1930 Edna, Alice, Earl and Margaret were living together in Omaha.

Most members of the family are buried in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Omaha.

Much of this may be redundant by now, since it's been 6 yrs since you posted this, but since I did the work to eliminate this James as being the one I think I may be looking for, I figured I might as well record it somewhere.

I'm looking for a James Lowry with a possible Fremont connection in the mid to late 1880's. My fibbin' great grandmother told her grandson that her father's name was James Lowry--and she was born in Fremont in 1886. However, her surname was Frayer when she was 13 and living with her Garrison grandparents in Fremont. And I've not found any marriage for her mother to anyone by the name of Lowry, so it may have just been another of her continual lies about her heritage. :-) That being said, I still have to prove or disprove...

Sandy in Omaha

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 10:25PM GMT
Surnames: LOWRY
Additional info: according to Nebraska Marriage index at FamilySearch, Ellen T. LOWRY married John B. CHRIST in Omaha on 27 May 1880.

That means James and his sister were the ones in partnership at the Delmonico Hotel in Omaha in 1889-1890.

You can get a copy of the marriage record for a $5 fee from the Greater Omaha Genealogical Society, via their website.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic