Search for content in message boards

Palmer - County Cork, Ireland

Palmer - County Cork, Ireland

tc (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2006 12:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Palmer, Brown
Looking for infor. on ancestors. Henry Harry Palmer married Mary Brown(e). Mary was born in County Cork, and not sure if Henry was born in Ireland or England.

Re: Palmer - County Cork, Ireland

Eilís O'Hara (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2006 9:14AM GMT
When and where was Mary born in County Cork? What were her parents names?

tc (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2006 2:33PM GMT
Mary Brown was born 1839 in County Cork, Ireland and died 19ll in New Orleans, La. She married Henry Palmer who was born 1835 in England; died 1898 in New Orleans, La. I do not know when they married, but I believe they married in the United States. Mary immigrated in 1853 when she was 14 years old. I wish I had more. I am hoping you may be able to help me and I can help you.

Terry

tc (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2006 2:38PM GMT
Mary had a brother named John Brown I believe 2 years younger than her. I do not know what the name of her parents were.

Posted: 15 Jul 2006 10:22PM GMT
Hello Terry,

There was no civil registration in Ireland before 1864 so there wouldn't be any civil birth record for Mary.

If she emigrated at 14, she wouldn't have been married in Ireland because she wasn't of legal age.

There are no census records in Ireland for the 1800s.

So you'd need to know specifically where Mary was born in County Cork, her parents names and religious denomination to find what church register for her specific birth location might have a baptismal record for her.

Church registers aren't centralised or computerised and their availability depends on the specific geographic location as well as the religious denomination.

There are nearly 6,000 towns and townlands in County Cork.

So her and her children's civil and church records in the US would be the source to find her parents names and specific birth location in County Cork.

Her civil and church marriage and death records, obituary, tombstone, cemetery record, will and possibly her US naturalisation records if she was naturalised would be sources to find the detail information you need.

Her children's civil and church birth, baptism, marriage and death records may include where their mother was born in County Cork.

Eilís O'Hara

Posted: 16 Jul 2006 12:39AM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Palmer
Mary Brown was catholic and may have been born in Dublin??? I believe she was married in Louisiana, but I cannot find anything on her marriage. She married Henry Palmer and their first born that I know of was born in 1870 in New Orleans, Louisiana. I found a census from New Orleans showing in 1860 Henry Palmer, Mary Palmer and John Brown. I think John was her brother because he was only 17 years old and he must have lived with them for awhile. My granfather, one of Mary Brown Palmer son was born Nov. 1878 in New Orleans, La., and I have a Certificate of Baptism on Joseph, but it only states parents as Henry Palmer and Mary Brown; sponsors names, but not anyone else.

Posted: 16 Jul 2006 9:52AM GMT
Hello Terry,

RC church registers in Ireland aren't centralised or computerised either in County Cork or County Dublin/Dublin City and their availability and how they might be accessed depends on the town/townland of birth. Cork had nearly 6,000 towns/townlands.

There are no civil registration records in Ireland before 1864 (Protestant marriages in 1845) so there is no way in Ireland to find when or where either she or John Brown were born. You need to know the specific birth location in Ireland, i.e. town/townland, civil parish and county of birth from their and their children's US records.

If she was born in Dublin, you would need to know whether it was County Dublin or the City of Dublin. If County Dublin, you need to know which of the nearly 1200 towns and townlands. If the City of Dublin, you need a street addy to find which of the hundreds of churches might have her baptismal record and where and how the registers might be accessed. You also need to know her parents names.

There wouldn't be any information about her or her marriage in the US in Ireland. That would be in US records so if you believe she was married in either Louisiana or New Orleans you would need to search for a marriage record there -- either a civil or church one. You could also post a request for information about her possible marriage there on the Louisiana and New Orleans Message Boards.

There's no information in Ireland about who emigrated, where they went or what happened to them after emigration. That information is in the locations where they lived after emigration. So any relationship between John Brown and Mary would need to be determined through their civil and church US records.

Her first born and subsequent children's civil and church birth, baptism, marriage and death records may include where Mary was born in Ireland.

You need to continue research on Mary and all her children in all their US records which I listed in order to obtain the information you need to begin researching in Ireland.

Sponsors at various events such as marriages and baptisms may have been relations from the home area of Ireland and you can research their census, civil and church records in the US also.

Eilís O'Hara

Montague Hennessy (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2006 9:05PM GMT
As a child I used to holiday in Ringaskiddy ,Co Cork ,there was an island in the bay called Palmers Island (now the ferry port for Swansea Cork ferries).The family owned a pub in the village now called Sams Bar,I believe the owner may have been called Henry Palmer (I believe protestant religion) several doors away lived a Brown family.Palmers had a connection with a Cork harbour ferry called the green boat,somebody wrote an account of its owners and operators.hope this helps .Monte.

Posted: 26 Sep 2006 8:37AM GMT
Hi , Just came across your message Pearson Lyons aged 30 and Mary Downey aged 27 with Sarah Ann aged 8 and Eliza Jane aged 3 1/2 years came to Australia on the "Alfred" on the 31/12/1837 and I know they came from Cork ireland and they were brought out by Messrs. Walker and Co. Pearson was a painter and glazier and Mary a Needlewoman and they were Protestant. but I would like to find out if they came from the city of Cork or County Cork. I can be contacted on lindalp30@hotmail.com. Cheers, Linda

Posted: 10 Jan 2009 10:22AM GMT
The Palmers in Ringaskiddy owned the island called Palmer's Island from which they ran a tender service to the American liners when they called to Cork Harbour. They also ran a salvage and coastal shipping service.
The pub in the village ( Lee View Bar) was run by Mrs Palmer( wife of Richard Palmer) who was the youngest of the three Palmer brothers. These were my parents!
Mrs Brown who lived nearby ( maiden name Harrington) married a Brown who came from Scotland and was a representative of one of the shipping lines based in Cobh.
The Harrington family originally came from west Cork . The Green boat was the local transport ferry which ran from Crosshaven, ringaskiddy ,monkstown etc to Cork. I t was discontinued many years ago.Many photographs still get published. An account of the Palmers activities is published in the book " SPORTING SHAMROCKS AND RINGASKIDDY"
per page

Find a board about a specific topic