Search for content in message boards

Search of 'St Louis Post-Dispatch' database required

Search of 'St Louis Post-Dispatch' database required

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 8:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Burroughs
Hello. Hoping for a little assistance. I live in the UK and am currently carrying out research into William Seward Burroughs (1857-1898), inventor of the first practical adding machine and founder of what became the Burroughs Corporation. He was based in St Louis from 1880 until approximately 1896, shortly before his death at Citronelle, AL, in 1898.

His first wife Ida died in 1896, and shortly afterwards he married his 'nurse', who's name was 'Nina K'. Despite hours of research, I have been unable to locate Nina's maiden surname, or any details of her life prior to 1898 (when she is mentioned in her husband's probate documents). In 1900, Nina married Clarence Alexander White at Citronelle, AL, but their marriage license does not list Nina's maiden surname. In the 1900 census they are at St Louis, whilst in the 1910 census they are at Seattle. From this, I know she was born in Ohio in 1865.

It is thought that William Seward Burroughs married Nina at St Louis during the period 1896-1898, though the St Louis 'Marriage License Bureau' could not locate a license. Does anybody have access to the searchable database of the St Louis Post-Dispatch? If so, would you be prepared to carry out a search for any reference to a marriage between William Seward Burroughs and 'Nina K' between 1896 and 1898.

Any assistance with this would be very gratefully received.

Simon

Re: Search of 'St Louis Post-Dispatch' database required

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 10:57AM GMT
Surnames: Burroughs Selover White
The Missouri State Archives has the probate documents for William S Burroughs, Case 24451, filed 1898. The paper file is broken down into pdf files of 5 pages each. In the 1st file, labeled Collection 1, on page 2 is a note that states, "Order to turn over, assign and deliver to Nina K White, legacy, 10 shares of the Amer Arithometer stock par value $100 per share."

Here is a link to the probate court records search page:
http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/mojudicial/

If you use the search name Burroughs the results will bring up the files for both Ida and William Burroughs.

David in Pennsylvania

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 11:16AM GMT
Surnames: Burroughs; White
Thanks for getting back to me David. Yes, the probate documents are very interesting - as you state, there are two sets available online via the Missouri State Archives - one for William and one for his first wife 'Ida E Burroughs' who pre-deceased him. I first discovered these some time last year.

As you also state, the documents refer to William's wife as 'Nina K. White' (his second wife). Nina married a man named White AFTER her marriage to William. It is Nina's marriage to William which interests me, as I can find no record of it. I have thus far been unable to locate Nina's maiden surname, and I wondered if anybody might have access to the St Louis Post-Dispatch database, as I can't access it from the UK. I wondered if there might be any references in there to the marriage of William and Nina, during the period 1896-1898.

Simon

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 11:36AM GMT
Surnames: Burroughs Selover White
Sorry, I missed that Nina re-married a man named White. You should try contacting Dennis Northcott at the Missouri History Museum, email dpn@mohistory.org. Dennis is the archivest for the museum and very helpful. Here is a link to the Missouri History Museum website:
http://genealogy.mohistory.org/genealogy/ .

I did a search of their website genealogy index and nothing came up for Burroughs. However, Dennis has access to the complete collection of the museum and may very well find what you are looking for.

David in Pennsylvania

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 9:54PM GMT
Surnames: Burroughs Keltner
Simon,
I did a search of the ancestry.com City Directories database for St Louis, Missouri. The search parameters were First Name=Nina, Occupation=Nurse. The results show a Nina Keltner, nurse, resides 1531 Pine in the 1895 city directory. The 1895 city directory shows a total of 6 individuals with the first name of Nina; only Nina Keltner is a nurse, 4 are married, 1 is a clerk. The 1897 city directory does not have a listing for Nina Keltner. Ancestry.com does not have the 1896 city directory but you could get a copy on microfilm from the LDS Family History Library. I did some other searches for Nina Keltner but I was unable to find anything to link her to William Burroughs.

David in Pennsylvania

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 8:53PM GMT
I looked in the St. Louis County Library's online database for the Post-Dispatch but couldn't find anything about William S. Burroughs. That online database contains the years 1874-1922.

I did find this webpage in a Google search: http://www.bookrags.com/biography/william-seward-burroughs-w...

It states that his wife Ida and their children survived him. I'm not seeing a source there, though.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:57PM GMT
Surnames: Burroughs
I did a quick search and found 2 newspaper articles that give the death information for Ida and William Burroughs. They both died in Alabama.The newspaper copies are in PDF format. If you would like copies I will need an E-Mail address.

Bill Wilson

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 7:52PM GMT
St Louis COUNTY issued a license to
William S Burroughs and Nina F Keltner
6/6/1896 Book 3 Page 578

To order a copy of the original contact:
St Louis County Recorder of Deeds
Attention: 4th Floor, Marriage License
41 S Central Ave
Clayton, MO 63105

Phone Number 314-615-7100

The last time I ordered a copy it cost $2.00.

Best of luck!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic