Search for content in message boards

relatives in Sligo

relatives in Sligo

Geofry Grant Layng (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Layng, Tobin
My grandfather was Harry Grant Layng and my grandmother was Gertrude Tobin. We believe they came from Ireland perhaps from Sligo. If you have information please email me. My grandparents were in New York when I was born in 1929

best family

Posted: 31 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2002 3:57AM GMT
Surnames: best
My grandfather was John Best born in Silgo, Ireland arround 1880. He moved to Scranton, Pa. My mother, my brother, and I were born there. Any help out there would be nice.

Re: relatives in Sligo

David Cassells (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2002 4:37AM GMT
My relative George Layng b.1775 [Castlebar??] may have lived in Ballineg- Dromberg, Sligo with Charles Beatty and George's sister [??] Maggie at time of his death in 1853

My mother's family were Layngs from around Dublin. My gfather was William, b 1902,m Louise Nash his father John b 1862, m Gertrude Byatt, his father William b 1848 [Castlebar, Mayo],m Alison Kelly, his father John [b Castlebar 1815],m Charlotte Ruxton, his father George b 1775, Castlebar, his father John, b 1740, Scotland
Details on my website......
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/a/s/David-J-Cas...
Best wishes
David

Re: best family

Posted: 24 Feb 2003 12:53AM GMT
My Grandfather was Micheal Best From Sligo,Culleens,Tullylyn,Near Killglass and Castle conner.
I Am researching this name, I do not no wheather he had brothers or sisters He was Born in 1877 He had a son called John Best Born 1917 in Irland this is My father. Just down the road lived another Best family maybe a conection there.
their does'nt seem to be many familys of Best's in Sligo and going with tradition first born sons are named after their grandfather

am i family? lol

Posted: 7 Jan 2010 3:10AM GMT
Im a Layng, there are very little of us with our spelling, Though I thought my Layng family came from Scotland
Adam Layng

Re: am i family? lol

Posted: 7 Jan 2010 3:56AM GMT
Hi Adam
Apparently ours were from Scotland originally too.

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 2:18PM GMT
My boyfriend is a Layng he lived in Mullingar but his father was born in Swinford - any relation?

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 10:24PM GMT
Would be good to get more details as its not a common name.....

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 12:01AM GMT
I too am descended from the Layng family. I can trace them to William Henry Layng who married Bridget Reynolds. He was born in 1810 and they had several children born/baptised in Easky/Dromore West in Sligo. Their ofspring came to Derrynadiva, which is just outside Castlebar. I cannot trace Willian Henry back any further but gather from talking to the experts that the Layng family did originate from Scotland and there are records of a Cromwellian trooper called "LANG" who wad disbanded in Sligo circa 1653. Am now trying to get the missing link. Any help will keep me going, regards, Linda Carroll nee Jackson

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 8:19PM GMT
Hi,my Dad was from Swinford, Mayo (about 15miles from castlebar) my Aunt Patty Layng Hannick lived in Sligo. My grandfather has a general store in Swinford, the short story is yes name is originally Scottish, there was a famous Notary Public (Layng) from Scotland that maybe we're related to, difficult to track, it most likely has a lot to do with Irish and Scottish conflict with English. Name is quiet rare especially our particular spelling. Cheers
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions