Search for content in message boards

John McNamara & Ann Dunnigan

John McNamara & Ann Dunnigan

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 1:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McNamara Dunnigan
Looking for any information on a John McNamara (b. approx 1830) in Australia. He married Ann Dunnigan (b. 1832) in Ireland. They settled in Amsterdam, NY, USA. They are my GGP on my father's side. This is all the info I have on them. Not sure if John left Australia and moved back to Ireland where he married Ann or vice versa. Any help appreciated.

Re: John McNamara & Ann Dunnigan

Posted: 12 Jun 2013 1:19AM GMT
Cant find any ref to a John MCNAMARA baptised before 1836?

How do you know he was possibly born in Australia ?

Bye

MargM NSW

Posted: 12 Jun 2013 1:49PM GMT
His son's (my Great Grandfather) death certificate says he was born in Australia.

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 6:46AM GMT
Hi,
Have you followed them on US census?
I cannot find any which list a John McNAMARA born in Australia though.

Also the immigration and/or naturalisation records should help. Try checking at familysearch.org

Kellie

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 12:35PM GMT
So far I havent been able to find either of them on a census. Prob is the only place I know they lived for sure is Holland, NY in 1873. Thats the year and place my GGF was born. All records in town were destroyed by fire prev to 1880. Trying to get from NYS. Thanks for the idea. I will try to find census.

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 11:14PM GMT
Hi,
What were their childrens names?
There's really no possible way to search all of Australia abt 1830 and find the correct John McNAMARA.

If you provide more information on the children etc others might be able to find them on census or naturalisation records.
Starting the search in the US and working backwards is the only way to find what you are after.

Kellie

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 1:29PM GMT
The only child that I know of is my GGF, John Edward McNamara, b.1873 in Holland, Erie County, New York, USA.

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 2:47PM GMT
Surnames: McNamara, Duffy
Well, I'm back to looking for Anna Duffy again--not Ann Dunnigan. Just received a copy of my GGF & GGM Marriage License. His mother shows as Anna Duffy not Ann Dunnigan. I'm apt to believe the marriage license as they were in their 20's when it was produced. By the time my GGF Death Certificate was issued, my GGM was in her 70's. Maybe she couldn't remember? Maybe she developed Alzheimer's? Who knows? Anyway, I'm back searching for John McNamara & Anna Duffy.

I'm also wondering if I should trust the Death Cert for my GGF birthplace of Australia. Every other doc I have found says that he and Anna Duffy were born in Ireland.

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 11:30PM GMT

Only way to discover your correct ancestry is to work back step by step from yourself . Get copy of every possible document and NEVER assume anything

Bye

MargM

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 1:08PM GMT
Surnames: McNamara
Another dead end this morning. My GGF was born in 1873 in Holland, NY. Fire destroyed all records prior to 1880. Clerk told me that NYS might have a copy. Just got off the phone with NYS Vital Records. No copies exist of any birth certs prior to 1881. I thought about trying to get John's parents' marriage license next. I don't know when or where they were married. I would think it was within a few years prior to 1873. I'll start in Holland, NY but if they lost all records prior to 1873 then they probably lost all marriage licenses too. Still can't find them on a census anywhere except a possibility in 1880 but the birthdate for John Edward doesn't match up. Any other ideas?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic