Search for content in message boards

ancestry

ancestry

b. rader (View posts)
Posted: 8 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Callan, Hanlon, Marron
I am looking for any of these names in the Carrimacross area of County Monagahan.

Carrickmacross,

Laurence O'Callan (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Callan
County Monaghan, Barony of Farney, Parish of Donaghmoyne, 2.5 miles NNE of Carrickmacross, I am the descendant of Henry Callan, b. 1818, d. 1875 at Corcuillogue. His children were: Michael, Patrick, Henry, Margaret, Mary, and Catherine Callan, all b. 1852-1866?, their mother's surname was MacAnally. I believe there are connections to the Traynors and Meegans. I am in Ohio. I have quite a bit on the Callan family.

Callan Family

Don Gartlan (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gartlan, Slevin
Laurence

Please contact me, apparently my Ggrandparents were living next to your family in 1861 at Corcuilloge. Mary Callan is listed on my GGrandfathers death certificate as being present at his death in Rosdreenagh in February 1895.His name was James Gartlan. My GGrandmother was Judith Slevin Gartlan. Their children were Joseph 1866, Sarah 1868, Patrick 1871, Katie 18??, and John 18??. Patrick still owned the family home in 1938 per Irish records.

Very interested in what you know about your family and the area. I was over there in November of 1998 and learned a lot about the area.

Don
vetteownr@aol.com

Callans of Corcuillogue

Posted: 9 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Callan, Gartland
I'm afraid I don't know much about Corcuillogue, Co. Monaghan or even where it's located, I'd appreciate knowing. My ancestor Henry (Harry) Callan was originally from Donaghmoyne, halfway to Crossmaglen from Carrickmacross. However, I do have acopy of the death cert. for H.Callan, d. 14 March 1875 at Corcuillogue,age 57, farmer. The registrar's name was Charles Garland. Henry Callan's wife was from Corcuillogue and was Ann or Nora MacAnally.
I believe we're descended from Traynors and Meegans also, are those names in the Corcuillogue area?

Marron in Carrickmacross

Posted: 24 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2001 10:07PM GMT
Surnames: MARRON
Catharine, Henry and Owen Marron, children of Owen Marron and Catherine Carnell of Carrickmacross area of Monaghan County, Ireland Immegrated to the USA around 1850. They settled in Nebraska. Henry is my great grandfather. Looking for information about Irish relatives

Corcuilloge, County Monaghan

Don Gartlan (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: GARTLAN, SLEVIN, CONNOLLY, HOOD
Corcuilloge is about 2 miles from Carrickmacross and consists of approx 244 acres. It is in a slightly hilly area with what I would describe as rolling hills. It is a farm area with few houses. The parcels of land are seperated by hedge rows and appear ideal for cattle or sheep. It would remind you of the area around westchester County New York or some of the rural areas of New England.
The roads are narrow and only suitable for small Europeon cars.

Traynor is fairly common as is Callan in the area. Check out the LDS family history centers for film on Griffiths valuation for Monaghan, Maghross parish. You will find them listed there. They also have Births, deaths,and marriages from 1864 forward.

Don

Corcuillogue, Co. Monaghan

Posted: 1 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Callan, Traynor, McNally, Meegan
Thanks for the tip about LDS history centers. I came across a map showing locations of septs in the area 1300-1600, and I noted than O'Callan was then just south of Castleblayney, in Cremourne and Farney Baronies. Magheross (at that time) was held by the Hayes, O'Finn, and O'Donegan septs. O'Cosgrave and Gernon (Gartlan) were listed in Magheracloone.

callan

Christine (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: callan
I would love to find out more about the Callan family. My ggg grandmother Margaret Mary Callan born in Ireland 1862 her father was Michael Callan and mother Margaret Ward, I don't have birth dates for her parents or names of her siblings, there might be a sister Kate, Rose and Bridget. I do know they were from Carrickmacross and her sister Kate's

daughters were living in her house in 1958.

My ggg grandmother Margaret Mary Callan immigrated to US in 1881 she had other Callan relatives living in Montana. I have found a Dennis Callan born 1867 living in Montana with his family who is somehow related.

Callan

Beth Rader (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Callan
I saw your message and do not know if this may help, but here we go.
My GG Grandfather was Patrick Callan from Carrickmacross.
Patrick married Mary Hanlon. They had several children;
Patrick, Jr, Peter, Barney, Delia, Rose ( 1868), Anne (my grandmother, l875) and 3 more not listed.

Rose came to the US and married a Patrick Marron, in Chicago, IL. My Grandmother also came to US and married Frank Moran (from County Lietrim) in the Chicago area. I have not been able to find any of the others.
Hope this might be a clue. . .

callan

christine (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: callan, ward
I have found new information regarding my Callan's. I believe that my

Michael Callan who married Margaret Ward is now Patrick Callan. I have

found several birth records in Castleblayney, Monagahan for a Patrick

Callan and Margaret Ward.There children William 1869, Catherine 1871,

Dennis 1865, Patrick 1867 were all born in Castleblaney. I am still

looking for the following siblings Margaret Mary 1862, Kate , Rose and

Bridget. I don't have any information on there parents other than they

have ties in Carrickmacross.

Margaret Mary Callan immigrated in 1881 she moved several places Oregon,

Montana, Washington.

Where did your Michael Callan immigrate to? Do you know what port he

came into?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions