Search for content in message boards

Asa Brinlee (Brindley, Brinley, etc.)

Asa Brinlee (Brindley, Brinley, etc.)

Mike Allgood (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2003 3:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brindley, Brinley, Brinlee
I need some help looking for my GG-grandfather. He was Asa Brinlee, born abt. 1846. Married to K(C)atherine Baker born abt 1861. They were married abt. 1880. Children: dau. Georgia, son Edward, dau. Kathlene Amanda (this is my G-grandmother married to Robert Henry Algood), dau. Fanny. I know Robert and Amanda lived in Robertson Co., TN until their deaths. I have found an Asa and Ester C. Baker Brinley in a marriage record from FamilySearch.com. They were married 9 April 1880 (the time is right) in Smith Co., TN. Does anyone have any information on these two? Children's names? Etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Re: Asa Brinlee (Brindley, Brinley, etc.)

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 2:25AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2005 1:16AM GMT
Surnames: Brinlee, Brindley, Brinley
Mike, the following is made up of personal research as well as non-verified data. I will try and make notes by what I have personally verified and what I have not.

Verified:
5 May 1851 PP 501-502 Asa Brindley to Robert Warren a crop of Tobacco (sorry but I failed to write down the name of the book)

Verfied:
13 Aug 1870
14 Aug 1870
State of Tennessee vs. Asa Brinley - Selling Spirts without the required Oath or Bond...Grand Jury entered indictments agains the defendants for selling spirits without the rquired oath or Bond. Court ordered that a capias be issued for each defendant.

Father of Asa - Stephen Brinley and Polly C. (Mary) Horton
About 1970 Helen Herbst, daughter of Ada Robinson, Granddaughter of Isaac Robins with Martha Emeline Brinley as great grandmother and Stephen Brinley from Tennessee said German and Scottish. Helen was living in Oregon when she gave us this informaiton.

Verified: 1830 Census Tennessee McMinn County Stephan Brinlee Index
1836 Tax List McMinn County, Tennessee Stephen Brinley 160 acres valued $300

Verified: 3 Aug 1846 Stephen Brinley..will dated 30 Jan 1843. Wife Sarah to have entire estate and at her death she may will it to whom she pleases. Execs: W. Cowan and John Poe. Wit: Saml. And Chas. McNelly. Sitned by Mark.
CR5 182, 5 Aug 1844. Will proven. Execs. refuse to serve and Court app Wm. T.McCallie.

Verified: 1850 Census Tennessee, County Sumner
Stephen 36 born in Tennessee
Mary 20 both in Tennessee
Mahala 8

Verified: 1860 Census Tennessee County Sumner shows
Stephen 47
Mary A. 30
Mahala 16
Thomas J. 13
Jahara 8

Personal research for Polly:
It appears Horton was Polly's name from a previous marriage because Asa said he had a half sister, Elizabeth Horton.

We have a group of notes that relates to this family and they are not organized
very good. Will list the notes, here, hopefully they will be helpful to someone.

Brothers and Sisters

Edward; Elijah; George; Sid; Will; Fanny; Amanda; Emma; 1/2 sister (Elizabeth
Horton) Melvin.

There was a Mary, known as Penny. Do not know if one of the brothers and sisters, or other relation.

Grandfather Asa, Grandmother Catherine Baker.

A Jessie lived in Knoxville, there was a Veada, Elizabeth. Another note shows Sparta, Tennessee and says sisters and brothers. Listed are Alva W.; Margaret; Mary; John; Dora Dean; Walter (deceased) Lillian.

Father of Stephen Brinley was James Brindley and Viletita Deforssett

Some data for Stephen cannot be correct and provided by others. Will list what we were given BUT IT CAN'T BE CORRECT

Chlldren Stephen and Elijah can't be correct...maybe brothers?
Census: 1850 Switzerland, Indiana shows James as 35, born in Kentucky

The dates for this entire family have many things that cannot be correct.
Compare marriages against age of children etc.

1850 Switzerland County Census date 09-03-1850 Page 701

James Brindley 35 Kentucky
Vilotila 27 Indiana
William 11 Indiana
Sarah J. 9 Indiana
Elijah 7 Indiana
John 4 Indiana
Alijah H. 2 Indiana
James A 2/12 Indiana
On Page 703 were Alijah and John Brindley

Others in the same area, at the same time,
John Brindley 31
Mary 23 Iowa
Loas 3 Iowa
Nancy 1 Iowa

Non-Verified: Descendants for this family from Internet File of Solmon Baker and Easter Lyda

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 4:13PM GMT
Clyde,
Do you have a birth date for Asa? I notice in the cencus records you detail for Stephen and Mary there is no "Asa". Is Asa a nickname? Why is he not in those records? The record you indicate for the sale of tobacco on 5 May 1851, can you tell me where (what county, etc.) this was in or where (what archive) you found this information in? I have an year of birth of 1846 for Asa. It was calculted from a later cencus report so it could be a few years off. This still wouldn't fit with him being old enough to be doing business in 1851 (he would only be approx. 5 yrs old).

I appreciate you posting the information. I will try to let you know if I come by any new information.
Mike

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 4:35PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2005 1:16AM GMT
Surnames: brinlee, brindley, brinley
There are two Asa's
Asa Riggs born before 1800 and Asa (Acie) born abt 1859 in Chestnut Mound, Smith County, Tennessee

Asa Riggs Brindley By Mabel Brindley

The Brindley story cannot be complete without mentioning Mace's brother, the eldest child of Phoebe Riggs and Frazier. Asa Riggs Brindley lived in Cullman County, though the time short--almost as though he leaped from Tennessee back to Cherokee County, where he and his wife, Mary "Polly" Bowen built a home in 1832 called "Always a Breeze", just off the Old Stage Coach Road, and raised 10 of 11 children on the bounty lands he was granted after service in the War of 1812. He was Postmaster of Sand Rock, Alabama, and Cherokee County State Legislature Representative 1861-1862 Term. When the War Between the States came to their homeland, one by one, each of Asa's sons left their families, education, ministry, and life as they knew it, to defend that which to them was priceless. It is known that Asa owned not one slave, neither did his children, or anyone on that mountain. Feeling as though it was their solemn duty to God and that which they held sacred, they joined the Confederate Army. At home, Asa and Polly, both nearing their seventies, opened their home to two daughters-in-law and 14 grandchildren. The years of the war brought hard times, almost beyond comprehension. They labored long days to just feed and care for their loved ones. Keenan returned home one day, sick and lame from the skirmishes and battles. Slowly, he recovered, and stayed home to relieve some the pressure on the women. And one, by one, Asa and Polly received the tragic news of the loss of their sons. A total of five sons had given their lives for what they believed in. These heart-wrenching words are best left to you, the reader, by the letters which they left behind of the death, sadness, sorrow, love of God, family and country, agony, and loss of life they eventually endured. In the last years of the war, a rider brought news that the "Home Army" was stealing and pillaging the countryside. Asa started to take his gun and sleep in the barn loft to protect his family from raiders, but daughters-in-law, Olivia and Hetty, slept there instead after Ma Brindley (Polly) politely told the aging Asa he would only snore through "Anything", once asleep. At last, the dreaded word came, again by an exhausted horse and rider, that the Union Army was headed their way from Guntersville, on their way to Rome, and would arrive by sun-up. Asa and Keenan took Pompey, Asa's prided stallion, along with an old mare, and all the livestock they had, hitched them to the two wagons they owned, with the help of young Porter, and headed for a safe place deep in the woods along the creek bluffs, where they stayed hidden for 24 hours. Xeenan wanted to stay with the women and children, but Ollie insisted that he leave with his father, for the Yankee's would take him prisoner for sure. The two women worked feverishly during the night to hide every possible thing that the Union Troops might steal during their passage. Provisions that meant the difference between life and death to Asa's large family. "As pale daylight came in the windows, Ollie raised her head to the sound of marching feet. She joined Hetty at the front door to watch. *Blue uniforms marching four abreast, coming along the road towards the east. Sunlight glittered from the brass buttons on the uniforms and from the metal on the guns, and there was an unbroken line of blue as far as they could see in both directions." (From The Old Stage Coach Road by Miss Mabel Brindley). *General Blair's troops. Breaking rank, one soldier after another jumped the garden fence yanking a turnip and onions, then another a head of cabbage, and another, meal from the kitchen house, another side of meat, till little was left at all. An entire day and night without food to feed the hungry, crying babies, 14 children in all, and 3 women, alone till the men returned the next day. By War's end, only 3 of the 11 children remained alive. They never gave up, nor did they give in. Somehow, they continued on. . .all who remained. Read the letters enclosed, lest we forget those who gave their all for the South.

From records of 1812 War Pension Index we find:

Asa R. Brindley
Pvt in Capt. Thomas F. Andersnon';s Co. GA mil
Enlisted 11-21-1814 Discharged 05-06-1815
Residence 1851,1855 Cherokee County, Alabama
1872 (P. O. Centre), Alabama

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 8:29PM GMT
Hi again,
Is the text of this message from a book? Are the letters mentioned published as to make them available? I would love to get copies if possible. Any help with pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. The Asa in this text doesn't sound like the Asa I am looking for but it is possible that he is an ancestor of my Asa.

Thanks again,
Mike

Posted: 1 Oct 2009 1:02PM GMT
The Stephen in McMinn TN will 1843, wife Sarah was Richard Brindley's son. DNA shows us to be related.

Posted: 1 Oct 2009 1:34PM GMT
This Asa(Acie)Riggs Brindley was born in Jeff. Co TN in 1796 to Frazier & Phoebe Riggs Brindley then they moved to Franklin Co GA in 1801. Frazier left on a wagon train bound for Texas in 1812/13, never heard from again. They came to AL in 1819. Then moved to McMinn TN. next door to Stephen his uncle. Helen Brindley

Posted: 1 Oct 2009 1:34PM GMT
This Asa(Acie)Riggs Brindley was born in Jeff. Co TN in 1796 to Frazier & Phoebe Riggs Brindley then they moved to Franklin Co GA in 1801. Frazier left on a wagon train bound for Texas in 1812/13, never heard from again. They came to AL in 1819. Then moved to McMinn TN. next door to Stephen his uncle. Helen Brindley

Posted: 17 Mar 2010 3:58AM GMT
HEY. I WAS OFF ON MY FIRST REPLIES ABOUT ASA(ACIE) I HAD THE WRONG ONE. IT WAS ASA RIGGS BRINDLEY, I HAD IN MIND. SORRY. THIS ASA SEEMS TO BE ONE OF WHAT I REFER TOO AS: THE CHESTNUT MOUND, OR SMITH CO TN BRINLEY'S. AT FIRST THE ALLGOOD DNA TEST MATCHED OUR BRINDLEY'S, BUT LATER I DID NOT FIND IT, ON YSEARCH.ORG. ARE THE ALLGOOD'S RELATED TO LEAVIN BRINLEY? MUCH LUCK

Posted: 17 Mar 2010 12:57PM GMT
I do not see any relationship between the Brindley's etc. and Allgood in the DNA.

Clyde
familysearchdna.org dna Brinley administrator
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions