Search for content in message boards

Cofield

Cofield

Mary Whitten (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2002 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jul 2011 9:46PM GMT
Surnames: Cofield, Whitten
My Grandmother was Mary Cofield before she married George Whitten Her Father was Thomas Gresham Cofield He is buried in Philcampbell Alabama I have a picture of her brother Elijah Cofield and his family. Also one of Mary Cofield Whitten would like to hear from any Cofield who have a connection to Thomas Gresham Cofield .Thanks Mary Whitten

Re: Cofield

David Cofield (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2002 12:53PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2011 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: Cofield, Coffield, Fowler, Hughes, Hurst
Thomas Gresham Cofield is probably the same Thomas Cofield Jr. who is the oldest son of my ggggrandfather Thomas Nathan Cofield by his second wife Martha Fowler. Thomas Nathan was born 1790 NC, died ca 1872 Randolph County, AL. He married Martha Fowler in Randolph County in 1844. His first wife, from whom I descend, was Nancy Hughes. They married Dec. 22 1814 in Morgan County, GA.

Thomas Nathan was son of Gresham Cofield/Coffield who was born ca 1752 prob. in VA and died in the 1820s in Twiggs County, GA. Gresham was probably son of William and Mary Pamelia Cofield/Coffield of Nansemond County, VA.

All I have for Thomas Gresham Cofield is his wife Arlenie Hurst and a list of their children. I have extensive information on Thomas Nathan Cofield's first family and some on his second wife's children too. I also have some material on descendants of Thomas Nathan's brother Willis, born 1778, died 1850 Troup County, GA.

William Gilbreath (View posts)
Posted: 26 Mar 2002 3:10PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2011 9:43PM GMT
Surnames: Coffield, Hollady
I suspect that the early Gresham you reference is actually the son of Daniel Coffield, for
Daniel is mentioned in a 1769 deed as father to a Gresham: "Gresham Coffield orphan of Danl., decsd. " Thus Samuel had died before this, say about 1765. The orphan Gresham Coffield, representing the fifth Coffield generation in America, sold his lands about 1780 and I suspect moved south to North Carolina where a Gresham is documented several times up to end of the 18th century, then on to Georgia. The Georgia Gresham Coffield reportedly died in Twiggs County, GA in 1814.

There was another Gresham (usually as Grissom) son to William and Mary Coffield (this was Wms first wife, his second was Pamelia Hollady), but they lived acros the Nansemond in Chuckatuck.

David Cofield (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2002 12:41PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2011 9:47PM GMT
Surnames: Cofield, Coffield
Hi Bill: We've corresponded before on the Coffields/Cofields. I've seen the material on the Gresham son of Daniel
Coffield. However, the name Daniel never appears in the Cofields of GA and AL who are descendants of Gresham, while the names William, Gresham/Grissom, Willis, Thomas, and Mary show up repeatedly. Also, Are you sure that William of Nansemond or Chuckatuck had two wives, one named Mary, the other Pamela?
The name Mary Pamelia was used among the AL Cofields in the 19th century. Could William's wife have been Mary Pamela/Pamelia. Which Gresham had a wife
named Charity? This name also never appears among the GA and AL Cofields. I know that is not necessarily strong evidence, but it does seem to be important given that these Cofields did use other names repeatedly.

How was Daniel Coffield descended from the immigrant Gresham? How was William (the husband of Mary and or Pamelia) descended? David Cofield

Posted: 27 Mar 2002 4:46PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2011 9:54PM GMT
Surnames: Coffield, Saunders, Harrell, Sessums, Vincent, Holladay, Ridley, Applewaite
David:
I'm not positive on anything but here is what I have:
Around 1700 there were Nansemond lands for 4 Coffield families (and maybe multiple families on some of these lands)
1) The original Gresham lands of about 1640 can be traced up to about 1780 when the last Gresham left them-He is the ophan of Daniel-
1b)At the present it is only with Gresham Coffield III that there may be definable descendants (see Table XXAC). A Gresham Coffield is shown as Justice of the Peace for Nansemond Co. in 1714 , this I presume is Gresham the III. In the mid-1700s several Coffields are listed in the Nansemond Parish Books. Edward, Daniel and James Coffield were related, probably brothers, born around 1700, lived on the ancestral lands of Gresham Coffield and were likely sons to Gresham III. Edward Coffield is cited first in Nansemond in 1744 as a Processioner in the Upper Parish from Keatons Creek to the extent of the Parish (northward) and up to 1763 for serving a number of warrants and other good works for the Lower Parish . The area of the Coffield lands was transferred to the Lower parish in 1745. We know that Daniel Coffield was a Processioner in the Lower Parish in 1763 and further, recognized at that time for keeping James Saunders for 21 days , as was Edward.
1c)
A Grisham Coffield and wife Charity of Bertie County with Jas. Moore of Northampton County sold 112 acres on the south side of Cashy Creek to Christopher Harrell in February 1788 . It seems likely that he was a resident of neighboring Chowan County as Greeham Coffield appeared on the Chowan County Tax Roll in Capt. Cullens District in 1795. Given his wife is named Charity , this is not the Gresham of Edgecombe County. Without further information I suspect that he is the Gresham Coffield of Nansemond County VA, orphan of Danl., cited in the 1769 Nansemond deed and later as Gressom who sold his land before 1794 --This is the Gresham, I presume went from VA to NC to GA
2) The most southern Coffield Lands in Nansemond were likely the home of Speir and Benjamine who went to Edgecomb NC-about the time father William died in 1745 (wife Elizabeth)- Of course Benj. himself had a Gresham b. 1747 (d. in 1815, married P. Sessums in 1768)
3)Researchers show a William Coffield #3 born in Nansemond in 1715 or so (1718 according to researchers) and parent to Slaughter, William, Willis and others—comprising a family who lived in the Chuckatuck Parish of Nansemond County. We know of a “William Coffield Sen” who obtains a land patent on the Chuckatuck, adjacent his other lands in 1729. I doubt that William #3 was the William of Patent 1729 who would have been born by, say 1700, to have other lands. Three of the lands forming William, Sr., (1729) borders belonged to Sykes, Jorden and Lovegrove—three families we find adjacent in the 1704 tax list and near to the land of Ruth Vincent Coffield , widow to John. There is thus a weak basis to assume that William, Sr. is son to John and Ruth Vincent Coffield. The Senior of the deed, certainly implies there was a William, Junior (most likely Senior’s son but possibly a nephew) of age or nearly so at that time, making William, Sr’s. birth not later than 1690. Perhaps, his birth could be stretched to 1692 when John Coffield married Ruth Vincent. Thus, William Sr. might have been born in 1692 and William Jr. around 1713. William #3 is likely the William Jr., mentioned in the 1729 deed. The William (we are designating as the Junior) is to have had a wife Mary or Pamelia: I believe these were two marriages. There is a record for a William Coffield marrying Parmelia Ridley Holladay in 1780 (?) and if this William is the one born about 1713 (1718?) and with the estate and children, discussed below, it is clear that this must be a second marriage. Other records show Pamelia as a Coffield in 1776, indicating a much earlier marriage to William, Jr. William (born 1713/8) presumably with a Mary had children named William #4 , Thomas , Mary, Slater (~1745-1785, the same as Slaughter), Willis , and Grissom , all born in the period 1740-1752. (And, possibly other children, Demsey and Samuel, .)
3b) notes on Pamelia: Parmillia was the daughter of Nathaniel Ridley and Priscilla Applewaite, born in Isle of Wight County. From the McLean-Johnson Family Tree: “Parmillia Ridley was born 1753. She married twice. She married Riddick Holladay 1771. Riddick was born 1751. She married William Coffield 1780. William was born 1750”. Pamelia Ridley was married to Riddick Holladay 9 Feb 1769. No record was located for her marriage to William Coffield. I believe there is sufficient proof that Pamelia married a much older William Coffield—the one believed born around 1718—rather than his son.--It is likely not correct that the Wm she married was born in 1750.
3c) The Mrs Mary coffield in the estate files for the family appears to me to be the wife of Slaughter (Mary Carney-who can traced to Edgecomb/Bertie etc with her children), While Mrs Pamely and Willis were the exectors to William (b. ca. 1715).
3d} I have not really tried to trace the Grissum/Gresham son to William and Mary of Chuckatuck-but will look a bit.
4) I have not been able to trace my family, William and apparent brothers John, Benjamin, and prob. Edward and James, back from Chowan/Bertie to parents in VA. They had prob. left by 1760.

Hope this fills in a couple blanks and is not too confusing.
Bill

Posted: 17 May 2002 10:21PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2002 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: Colfield/Gresham
Am curious as to where the Gresham name might have come from in the Cofield's. See that your Cofield family was in N.C. and then to Ga. That is the same route my Gresham line came to Ga. They started in Va. They settled in Greene Co., Ga. in the late 1700's. Some names were Edward, Archibald, Davis, Harris, Littleberry. Any thoughts?
Lou

Posted: 10 Mar 2003 12:40PM GMT
It at least began with Gresham Coffield who had arrived in VA by 1632. It likely came from the Sir Thomas Gresham family in England.

Posted: 16 Mar 2003 6:55PM GMT
Bill--Now you have piqued my curiosity. What is the connection between the Grisham Coffield who immigrated in 1632 and Sir Thomas Grisham?

Don

Lou Engelhart (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2003 7:49PM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2003 9:54PM GMT
Surnames: COFFIELD GRESHAM
I'll be interested in that connection as well. I didn't think Sir Thomas as any heirs. Thought all his 'kin' were from children of his brothers and/or cousins.

Posted: 17 Mar 2003 4:40PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2011 10:00PM GMT
Surnames: Coffield, Cofield, Cofeld, Coefield, Coefield, Cowfeild, Coffeild, Gresham, Pory, Hill, Whale, Morris, Coffyn, Coffin, Smith. Cranfeild
Here are some of my Misc. Notes:
One may speculate that Gresham Coffield was connected to the Gresham family, likely through his mother. Sir John Gresham, knight of St. Giles Parrish London, son to Sir Thomas, was the more famous of the family in the late 16th century. I have not found a female Gresham, born 1550-1600 who married anyone with a Coffield sounding name—in fact none closer than Cooper.
A Margaret Cofield of Norwich, was left a legacy by Valentyne Pory of Yarmouth, Norfolk. “To Margaret Cofeild ‘whom he minded if God had lengthened his life to have married’ all his good, etc. Sworn by Henry Hill and Alice his wife.” Norwich Archdeaconry/125 8 April 1601. Virginia Settlers and English Adventurers. Abstracts of Wills, 1484-1798, and Legal Proceedings, 1560-1700, Relating to Early Virginia Families by Currier-Briggs, Noel (3 vol. in one) Genealogical Pub. Baltimore, 1970, page 278.
My search of the Public Records Office at Kew revealed a number of Coffield sounding names around 1600. Unfortunately, none of these with a Gresham given name.
•William Cofeild and wife Elizabeth (born about 1595 in Checkney,Essex,England , a daughter of Phileman Whale of Chickney who left a will 4 April 1618
•To Judith Coffield, 20 sh god-daughter of Judity Morris of Dedham Essex, 25 January 1645 in New England Historical and Genealogical Register, 1894, page 118.
•William Coffyn “gent of Portledge Devon died beyond the Seas” with will of 13 July 1626 “to brother James Coffin, Henry Coffyn, sister Abby; father Richard Coffyn, late of Portledge {An added note on a Francis Coffin: transported 21 July 1635 by Thomas Smith who received 250 acres in Martin’s Hundred, up the James River/wpg.
•9 January 1631/2 by James for Edward Coffyn of Portledge.
•Michael Cofeld “gent of Tadlow” for wife Joane and bequeaths to in-laws 2 January 1608.
•Christenings: Margery Cofeld 29 September 1589 at Fyfield, Essex,, father was Joannis; John Coefield 1 September 1622 St. Nicholes Colchester, father was William; John Cofield 19 October 1579 of Earls Colne Essex; John Cofild, same location, son of Robert December 1587; Jane Cowfeild 2 February 1595 in Knightwick Worchester, father was Fraunce; And, all in Bedford: Joan Coffeild 19 April 1576, John Coffeild 12 February 1578, and Elizabeth Cofeild, 1581, Marg Coffeild 16 April 1584, all of a John.
•Elsewhere I have found that Lionell Cranfeild was a signator on the Third Virginia Charter, 12 March 1612, but it was not likely he ventured to the Americas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions