Search for content in message boards

Fantauzzi/Fantau Mystery-Aguadilla

Fantauzzi/Fantau Mystery-Aguadilla

Edward Sotolongo Fantauzzi (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2003 8:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
This may come as a shock to most of the Fantauzzi generations who trace their roots to Aguadilla. It certainly came as a shock to me. In 1885, the Civil Registry was established in Puerto Rico which required that all births/deaths and marriages had to registered officially. Several years ago, I discovered that the Family History Center of the Mormon Church had photocopied every record of the Birth and Deaths in Aguadilla, and over a period of month, I reviewed these records. What I found knocked me for a loop.
I FOUND NO MENTION OF ANYONE NAMED FANTAUZZI FROM 1885 TO 1924 REGISTERED IN THE BIRTH OR THE DEATH SECTION.
The first mention of a Fantauzzi was recorded in 1924. Up to that time, everyone had the surname FANTAU.
I also reviewed the Aguadilla Census of 1920 which was conducted house by house and, again, found no Fantauzzi surname.
This may sound unbelievable to most of you, and if it does, I encourage you to do what I did. For those of you who had older relatives born before 1924, and have been unable to trace them, it is likely that they were born Fantau.
Now don't ask me how most of the Fantau surnamed people in Aguadilla suddenly became Fantauzzi because I DON'T KNOW. I would, however, love to solve this mystery. I believe it has a historical significance as well as shedding some light on our ancestral heritage.
Anyone with information/reaction/comment on this puzzle, please respond.

Re: Fantauzzi/Fantau Mystery-Aguadilla

willie ramos (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2003 5:12AM GMT
Surnames: fantauzzi
the fantauzzi branch of my family that are directly descended from the branch that came to Arroyo to take over the sugar plantation there have lived in Aguadilla since 1772. As jibarosof legend all know the jibaro way of pronouncing our sir name is still to this date fantau.

Edward Sotolongo (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2003 1:23AM GMT
Surnames: Fantauzzi, Fantau
That is a a very interesting explanation. But I ask you something, "con todo respeto". Do you have any evidence of this. As i said before, the Registro Civil Law was established in P.R in 1885. I searched those records from 1885 until 1920 and there was not one mention of Fantauzzi in Aguadilla. Nor was there any Fantauzzi noted in the 1920 Census for Aguadilla. The first Fantauzzi appeared in the Registro Civil records in 1924 to report a death. I will be looking forward to your response.

willie ramos (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2003 12:50PM GMT
Surnames: fantauzzi
the civil registry as you stated was established in 1885 more or less,in my 20 year research to prove my grandmother assertion that we came from italy on a grant of lands given to us by the king of spain,i found the registry useless since before the good old cathelic church had been keeping records for almost 600 years ,Aguadilla was founded in 1776 or 75,the clan was already there! how do i know that the old spelling is in reference to all fantauzzis my grandmother,la gandee Dona Dolores Fantauzzi deRivera-suarez refered to herself as dolores fantau her grandfather also gollo fantau ,all people that are close to her age call the family fantaus even to this date. the family bible says Don jose maria fantauzz y rodriguez was the first child born to the clan in Aguadilla on oct. 15 1780

Posted: 1 Apr 2005 4:04AM GMT
sorry for the length of period for reply birth deaths, marriages are all recorded by the catholic church in aguadilla since 1780 and my family (fantauzzi) settled there in 1772.

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 2:03AM GMT
I am Gloria Fantauzzi daughter of Antonio Fantauzzi -
To your mystery my mom says: Our grandfather's name is Louise Crespo and his mother was Fantauzzi -He did not pick up his fathers name b/c his mother never married him. and he married Julia Hidalgo so they may be the first registry your looking at in 1924 -- she may not of registered --
anyway HEllO!!!!

My siblings: Mario, Stephanie , Crystal
other siblings: Tony, David, Ruben, Jimmy, Ricky, Sammy and Esther jr. (tata)

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 5:56AM GMT
Surnames: Fantauzzi
Boonefantauzzi,
In all likelihood, we are probably distantly related. I say this because the first Fantauzzi I have found recorded in the records of Aguadilla date back to the mid 1700's. Juan Maria Fantauzzi Rodriguez was the first born in Aguadilla in 1780. As I mentioned before,none of them are listed as Fantauzzi, but rather Fantau or Fantaus in any document until 1924. I found photocopies of Death Certificates of for Tomas and Margara Fantauzzi (his children)and another child in 1926 (Nereida). I personally checked the Birth and death records in Aguadilla dating from 1885-1930, as well as the 1910 and 1920 Aguadilla Census, and found no one with the spelling of Fantauzzi before 1924. Even my grandfather and mother were listed as Fantau in the Census' as was his father. I have concluded that Fantau and Fantaus were "jibaro" ways of spelling and pronunciation the Fantauzzi name.
Finally I found a very interesting coincidence regarding our family trees. You say your grandfather's name was Louise Crespo by that your grandfather. Louise sounds like a woman's name for Luisa whereas the man would be Luis, don't you think?. Nevertheless, my grandparents probably were never married either. But his name was Andres Fantauzzi and my grandmother's name was.......LUISA CRESPO. Interesting, don't you think? Just curious, but what was your father's father ie your grandfather's name and about what year was he born?

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 10:59PM GMT
ok - bare with me b/c you started all of this and i am just trying to get on the train - my mom has been in this family for a long time -- so she is thinking very hard- apparently my dad (antonio Fantauzzi had 10 siblings)
Raul, Carmen, Joey, Frankie, Salvador, Ruben, Jamie, Ana and Luis --- My fathers Dads name was Luis Crespo Fantauzzi and his wifes name (my grandmother's name) was Julia Hidalgo they had children as early as 1930 - so they got married about 1920's or so ??? -- mom thinks they got married when they were about 15 yrs old or so?? not sure.
So I am not sure if I am helping or sending you for a loop but this is the information mom is giving---not sure when grandpa was born -- but he did die in manhattan -and grandma apparently did not pick up the Fantauzzi name ?? (interesting did not know that) -- either way I am glad my daughter found this -- it has been quite intersting / exciting. Thank You -- wait a minute mom remembers grandpa retiring when her oldest was born -- so she thinks b/date might be 1905. check that out! let me know - Gloria Ann Fantauzzi :> wait moms still on the phone she says that this part of the family came from puerto rico to new york about 1952 or 1953-grandpa was already here and sent for the little kids and grandma --- wow! thanks.

Posted: 1 Nov 2008 12:29AM GMT
I AM A FANTAUZZI, MY FATHER NAME WAS JULIAN FANTAUZZI BLAS AND HE WAS BORN 2/17/1935 AND HIS FATHER NAME WAS FRANCISCO FANTAUZZI HE DIE IN 1939 OF A HEAT STROKE IN A SHIP THAT WAS DOCK IN AGUADILLA THEY CALL MY ABUELO PANCHO HE HAD A LOT OF CHILDREN MY ABUELA NAME WAS VIRTUROSA BLAS NOT WITH THE SAME LADY, MY ABULA

Posted: 23 Dec 2008 6:32PM GMT
Surnames: Fantauzzi, Fantau, Fantausi
Since I personaly know mwny of the fantauzzi's I will like to give you an explenation for FANTAU. A few years ago I ask a friend why he has changed his last name from Crark to Clar. His explanation: that he had discover his roots in Corsica. But not so I told him since I knew his father and the reason was that he wanted to Puertoricanizade his last name.Many times people mispronaunce their last name, not knowing their herretage, For example La Salle become Lasalle,Bianchi,while in italian "Bianki" in spanish sound chihh.Its know that the Fantauzzi's arrived at the time of the foundation of the town, as homesteded offer by the spanish crown. And some of this records appear in Aguada since Aguadilla was a dependance of Aguada.I will sugest you read Cartas de Indias, it my help you get an idiea, on people muvement in the Island and out of it.Good luck
per page

Find a board about a specific topic