Search for content in message boards

Hammes in Schuylkill Co., PA

Hammes in Schuylkill Co., PA

Tracey Toms (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2002 7:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hammes Mill
I am searching for Hammes family in the Schuylkill Co. area in the early to mid 1800s. My gggrandmother was Lucinda (Lucy) Hammes who was born Aug. 6, 1849. She married John Mill in Schuylkill Co. in 1869. In 1870 they were living in N. Manheim Twp., in 188- they were in Schuylkill Haven, 1900 found them in Philadelphia, Lucy was back in Schuylkill Haven in 1910 and she died in Philadelphia in 1929. Her husband John Mill was also seen in Orwigsburg before marrying Lucy, who was his second wife. I just got Lucy's death certificate and it lists her parents as John W. Hammes and Sarah Schery. I'm trying to find either of these two people and figure out more about them. Lucy's daughter in law told me Lucy was one of thirteen children, so there's a big family of them hiding out there somewhere!

Thanks for your help!

Tracey

Re: Hammes in Schuylkill Co., PA

Posted: 16 Apr 2003 12:02AM GMT
I am John W Hammes III I will have to look and see if I have a great aunt that I never knew maybe I could help out. If this is the same John W Hammes

Tracey Toms (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2003 1:13AM GMT
Surnames: Hammes, Jones, Mill
John,

I would appreciate any light you can shed on this family. I have not gotten very far searching for them. I suspect that two of Lucy's siblings were Thomas (born around 1843) and Emma (born around 1841). Lucy was married twice; her first husband's name was Samuel Jones and he died March 7, 1868 in St. Clair, Schuylkill Co., PA. Please let me know if anything seems to match with your family.

Thanks,

Tracey

Posted: 5 Apr 2005 8:48PM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2005 1:41PM GMT
My grandfather was born in Schuylkill Haven. His mother )Sarah Frame) moved from there to Philadelphia (Manayunk) when he was a child due to circumstances unknown. There were at least 3-4 children - Samuel, Harven.

Posted: 6 Apr 2005 2:06PM GMT
My great-grandmother's name was Sarah Frame Hammes, who moved to Philadelphia with 4-5 children, Harven, Samuel, Alfred, and Margaret? My grandfather was Samuel Adolph Hammes, and my father was John C. Hammes, Philadelphia.

Posted: 6 Apr 2005 2:14PM GMT
My great-grandmother, Sarah Hammes, was from Cressona, Schuylkill Haven area. She moved to Philadelphia in the early 1900's with at least 4-5 children - Harven, Samuel, Alfred and Margaret (Roxborough-Manayunk area). She is buried in Leverington Cemetary. It is unknown whether her husband died, or wheter he left her. My grandfather was Samuel Adolph Hammes, and my father was John C. Hammes (born 1923, died 1970). My cousin and I traveled to Cressona to try to find out more about the family several years ago, searching church records, cemetaries, etc. Hope you can help.

Posted: 27 Apr 2005 8:53AM GMT
Cynthia Hammes Fritz

Charles William Hammes and Sarah Auchie had four childern in Roxborough Philadelphia Pa. their names were Harven,Sarah,Lillian,and Samuel. Harven was my grandfather
Is there a connection?

Robert H.Hammes ( rhhammes@aol.com )

Posted: 29 Apr 2005 9:10PM GMT
Tracey- There is a Sarah S. Hammes buried next to my grandmother and grandfather (Samuel Hammes) - born 1847 and died 1902. We think she might be his mother as there is 36 years between them.

Tracey Toms (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2005 8:33PM GMT
Cindy,

It amazes me to no end how many families moved around in the late 1800s and early 1900s and how many of them seemed to have drifted from coal town to Phila/Roxborough.

I don't have much more information on Lucy (1849-1929) than I did before. I suspect her parents to be John W. Hammes and Sarah Schery based upon Lucy's death certificate information. Lucy is buried with her 2nd husband (John Mill) at Westminster Cemetery, Philadelphia. The one sister I know of married and seems to have stayed in Schuylkill County. Brother Thomas I have no clues about. There is various Hammes variations on census reports, but I can't seem to put my hands on those copies right now. I'm not sure I have any new information for you, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Tracey Toms (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2005 9:03PM GMT
Tracy - Great to hear from you. My grandmother is buried in Leverington Cemetary in Phila., Pa. died in 1908 (Sarah S. Hammes). We think she is the mother of my grandfather, Samuel Hammes. How are you related to the Hammes's?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions