Search for content in message boards

William Hewes from IL, parents fr. Mass. married a Coash (Canada)

William Hewes from IL, parents fr. Mass. married a Coash (Canada)

Posted: 2 May 2005 2:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hewes, Coash
Looking for info on William Hewes b. 1861(his parents are from Mass.), married Harriet Coash b. 1863 (her parents are from Canada. Anyone with any info, please contact me

Re: HEWES FAMILY

Cal Craig (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2005 2:29PM GMT
Surnames: HEWES, HARWOOD, BLISS
A "thanks" to Gene Akram, for your query & response .

I don't know about WILLIAM HEWES but he may be connected hopefully with Deacon SAMUEL HEWES of Boston. If so, I would love to hear from you, or anyone interested, about Deacon Hewes. He married MARY HARWOOD BLISS in or around Boston, sometime after the Revolutionary War. My prime goal is to find HEWES FAMILY PAPERS or HEWES GENEALOGY, if there is such a thing.

I hope that will lead me back to LIEUT. SAMUEL BLISS of
the 84th Regiment, Mary's father. Mary's mother, as above, was MARY HARWOOD from England. The two Mary's went to Boston after the death of Samuel BLISS at St. George, New Brunswick in l803.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cal Craig

Posted: 28 Feb 2006 12:29PM GMT
Surnames: Hewes
I have some info concerning Deacon Samuel Hewes of Boston and his descendants.He was from Wales who married Nancy Hill.They had six children,two sons and four daughters.One married Edward Jones,one married a Newman,and one married William Gardner from Portsmouth,N.H.I do not have record of whoe the fourth daughter married but it is said all were prominant men.Newman and William Gardner gave a warship to the Colonial cause.One son,Samuel Hewes was married first to Margaretti Milliquet of French extraction and their children
were William Gardner(my gg grandfather),Margaret,Samuel Hill,and Nancy or Ann as she preferred to call herself.The second wife was Martha Bliss and their children were Mary,Edward,Henry and Sarah.Deacon Samuel Hewes in his early life was a merchant engaged in the East India trade,but for the last thirty years of his life held an office in the Boston city government.He died in 1844.
His son William Gardner Hewes came to Louisiana about 1815,Margaret followed soon after and married Robert Layton.She died in 1878 leaving only one son,Robert.Ann married in Washington City to a George Poindexter,then a senator from Mississippi.They had no children.Son Samuel lived in Tuscola,Michigan and had a large family.Edward died of cholera in New Orleans in 1832 and Mary died some fifteen years later.Henry settled in Calcutta as a merchant and died there about 1851.Sarah lived in Boston.William Gardner Hewes was a very prominant merchant in New Orleans and prior to 1842 had acquired a large fortune and virtually retired from business,entrusting all to a partner.that partner with no evil intent,endorsed,in the firm's name for a brother of his,for over $200,000.The first intimation that William had of the matter was a demand upon him as endorser.It was a panic year and property could not be sold.For instance he was forced to sell the Orleans Cotton Press,for which he had paid
$27,000,for $17.000,in order to pay the debts.His struggle was fruitless and he was forced to give up all.Such was his character that offers to loan him money exceeded one million dollars.He declined all aid and when secession came he had again become worth some $30,000.When Butler entered New Orleans,he left and moved to Opelousas,La.He originated the Water Works,Co.,and was it's first president,was president of several banks and insurance companies and at the time of his death was president of the New Orleans,Opelousas and Great Western Pacific Railroad,and of the Bank of America.

I have more info concerning this line of the family if you are interested.

Gena (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2006 1:20PM GMT
yes, I am interested in all and any info you have on this family line. Thanks

Gena

Cal Craig (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2006 1:02PM GMT
Surnames: HEWES, BLISS
Jeffrey Hewes, message of 28 Feb 2006 l2:29 pm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I've been search for data for a long time. Yes, I would like more information please and I would gladly share what I have.

I had the Deacon's wife (rather than Martha), - as MARY HARWOOD BLISS, b. 8 Feb. 1873, d. l Mar 1868, Needham, MA. It may be that Mary had a sister Martha, I am not sure of that.

Do you have dates to go along with the narrative you sent?

After we get our facts confirmed I will describe in detail the BLISS connection from the Revolutionary War days.
My John Craig settled here in New Brunswick, Canada, along with Lieut. Samuel BLISS and other Loyalist soldiers.

Your reply is anxiously awaited. Thanks once again.
Cal Craig

JEFFREY HEWES (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2006 9:42PM GMT
If you could be a little more specific in what info you need,I would be more than happy to list it.From which line do you descend? This would be of great help as I would not have to type several pages of info if you are looking for one specific line of ancestry.

Jeffrey

Posted: 7 Jul 2010 3:40AM GMT
Surnames: Hewes
Hello: I'm just now beginning to research my family history and am reading these notes. My great grandmother was Mary Hewes (daughter) of Samuel. She married Rev. Samuel Earngey and had 4 children: Samuel Jr, Francis Law, Jennie, Willard Phelps. Only Willard Phelps, my grandfather had children. The older boys died when they were young adults. My grandfather had 3 children, now all deceased. If you would like additional information, please let me know.

Thanks.

Posted: 5 Mar 2011 6:36PM GMT
Surnames: HEWES
WILLIAM GARDNER HEWES IS MY GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER. PLEASE SUPPLY ANY ADDITIONAL INFO ABOUT THE HEWES FAMILY WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

NEWTON M HEWES
9160 HWY 64 SUITE 12
MEMPHIS , TN 38002

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 11:12PM GMT
Hello...did any of your Hewes family marry into the BLISS family, particulary a Mary daughter of Samuel BLISS who was in the 84th Regiment (Loyalist)?? from Cal Craig, craigs.br@gmail.com

Posted: 8 Jan 2014 6:00AM GMT
My maiden name is Carrie Earngey. My great great grandfather was Rev. Samuel Earngey and my great great grandmother was Mary Hewes. My great grandfather was Willard Phelps Earngey. My grandfather was Willard Phelps Earngey, Jr. My father is Willard Phelps Earngey III. I married Dr, Philip Coleman Wallace. We have two children who are Philip Scott Wallace and Audrey Anne Wallace. The family tree grows!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic