Search for content in message boards

Lost Jahnke's

Lost Jahnke's

Posted: 30 Dec 2001 4:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jahnke, Knutz, Renchow, and Yankee
Hi,

I've hit a brick wall. I have on my tree back to George Jahnke who married Auguste Rechow. They had 5 kids (I think, well is all i can find) I know the name of two of them; Heinrich Eduard Jahnke and Ferdinand Jahnke. All these people where born somewhere in Preussen somewhere. Ferdinand is my branch he married a Heneritte Knutz and they had 8 kids. In 1871 they emigrated here to USA. they also bounced up to Canada for ahile. Now some where in here the name changes into Yankee. The family lore is when the child to this family went to school the school marme didn't like the way the name was spelled and changed it to Yankee. This story has no support other than the fact it's been passed down. When the came back to US they came to Wisconsin and that is where they got stuck. The kids names where: Herman, Charles, William, Bertha, Albert, Mary, Ferdinand, and Emma. Do these names ring any bells to anyone out there. Please Help!

Re: Lost Jahnke's

Posted: 2 Apr 2002 3:04AM GMT
Surnames: Jahnke
Emily,

I have a Herman Jahnke born Sept.1866 in Neustetin Germany
married Sophia Markmann in Milwaukee, Wis. March 8, 1890.
Had 6 children Arthur, Clara, Elsie,Hattie, Anita and Irma. Ran a dairy on 18th and Mitchel St. in Milwaukee. Died June 28 , 1945.
He was my great, great grandfather. Does any of this fit with your Herman?

Posted: 2 Jan 2003 4:57AM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2005 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: Kriefall, Jahnke, Belter, Nimmer, Abraham, Baerwald, Henning
Who was Herman's father?
I have Jahnke's in my line from
Gramenz, Kreis Neustettin, Pommern, Prussia.

Tom Kriefall
Milwaukee, Wi

Posted: 3 Jan 2003 6:13PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jun 2003 10:12PM GMT
I believe Herman's father was Julius Jahnke and his mother was Hennietta Felsner. I have his birth place listed as Neustetin Germany but everything I have is vocal history pasted down and no back up information has been located yet. Does this fall in with your Jahnkes?

Posted: 21 Jul 2008 8:42AM GMT
Surnames: Jahnke Baerwald
Hello,

I see we have 2 family-names in common. Jahnke and Baerwald. I'm looking for Heinrich Otto Jahnke and Marta Emilie Berta Baerwald who lived in Schivelbein ( Swidwin ) Poland and in Berlin before and during WO2. They were the parents of my greatgrandmother Marta Olga Berta Jahnke, born 10 April 1904. I only have their names. I'm looking for dates and relatives. You have both names in your family-line too so you might know something that might help me. Please reply to me or send an email to huizekleurrijk@home.nl

Thank you

Posted: 28 Nov 2008 7:54AM GMT
Your post was pretty old, but I'm curious: How old would George Jahnke be about now, and have you located him?

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 3:59PM GMT
I have an old German bible I received from my grandmother recently. Her father was Albert Jahnke, Hankinson, ND. In the cover it lists Herman Jahnke borh 1879, Maria Jahnke born 1888 dies march 29, 1971. On another page Maria Jahnke born June 10 1850, Died March 29, 1925. On the first page is Carl Jahnke A 12, 1857 November 4, 1938. All this is very confusing to me as it appears everyone in this family reused names frequently.

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 5:57PM GMT
For an understanding of German naming patterns the most definitive explanation I've found is at http://www.kerchner.com/germname.htm The name of the site can be misleading as I've found that these naming patterns were common until well into the 20th century in all parts of this country as well as in Europe.

I've excerpted the following from the Web site mentioned above:

It was a common practice in some German families to name the first born son after the child's paternal grandfather and the second born son after the maternal grandfather. Here are several more detailed naming patterns practiced by some families.

Pattern A

1st son after the father's father
2nd son after the mother's father
3rd son after the father
4th son after the father's father's father
5th son after the mother's father's father
6th son after the father's mother's father
7th son after the mother's mother's father

1st daughter after the mother's mother
2nd daughter after the father's mother
3rd daughter after the mother
4th daughter after the father's father's mother
5th daughter after the mother's father's mother
6th daughter after the father's mother's mother
7th daughter after the mother's mother's mother

Pattern B

The pattern B for the sons is the same as the above
but this pattern for daughters was different

1st daughter after the father's mother
2nd daughter after the mother's mother
3rd daughter after the mother
4th daughter after the mother's father's mother
5th daughter after the father's father's mother
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions