Search for content in message boards

John Montplaisir

John Montplaisir

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 8:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Jun 2011 8:16PM GMT
Hi I am searching for John Montplaisir's(1863-1934) parents. He married Malvina St. Laurent they had a son named John B Montplaisir

Thank you
Angel Montplaisir

Re: John Montplaisir

Posted: 13 Jul 2011 4:41AM GMT
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op... there it is

His first name was spelled Jean not John, when you search for french ancestry remember when someone is called "John" always look for Jean, if it's John B that means Jean Baptiste.

Posted: 13 Jul 2011 4:44AM GMT
This family is actually Native American, not 100% french my bad.. Jean Montplaisir's ancestor is Nicolas Montplaisir, Montplaisir wasn't his real last name, he actually took the last name as a "panis" or indian worker/ indentured worker for the Montplaisir family. Nicolas married Catherine Guertin and they kept the Montplaisir family name even though I don't believe it was legally his.

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 12:11AM GMT
Hello Angel,
My name is Arthur Gamache. My mother was a Montplaisir. I am a member of the American Canadian Genealogical Society (ACGS) in Manchester, NH.
In their library is a repertoire listing death notices from the J N Boufford & Sons Funeral Home in Manchester NH. It lists:
John F. Montplaisir, Retired, died 2 July 1934 - cancer, born 16 April 1863, Goffstown, NH
Spouse: Malvina "Montplaisir" (no maiden name given)
His parents: Joseph A & Julie Provencher from St. Cesaire QC, Quebec.
71 years a resident of Manchester, NH

I also have similar information on:
John B 10 Mar 1889-22 May 1958
Malvina 1862-1942
Marion 1894-1942, daughter of John and Malvina, married to William Angers.

Let me know if you want this info

Arthur Gamache

Posted: 9 Aug 2011 6:03AM GMT
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op...

John aka Jean Montplaisir
spouse: Malvina St. Laurent

parents:
Joseph Antoine Montplaisir
Julie Provencher

Malvina's parents:
Charles St. Laurent
Marie Anne Samson

This "Montplaisir" line also comes from the Nicolas "Montplaisir" who was an indian, which is the info from my previous post in this thread, Nicolas took the last name Montplaisir from the Montplaisir family he worked for.
He married a french woman named Catherine Guertin.

Posted: 11 Aug 2011 2:08PM GMT
Hello Angel,
The short answer to your question (any relation to Emile, Roger and your father) is no, not at this time - but who knows what searches may uncover. Although I cited ACGS in Manchester, NH, we do not live in NH. (Tewksbury, MA [sic] outside of Lowell.)
My mother was born in Fall River, MA and lived there most of her life. Same for her brother and sister. But there were many of their Montplaisir relatives living in NH, and that's why I do some genealogical work there.
I'll be glad to send you the information that I have on those mentioned in my last message - but not on the message board. So please send a quick e-mail to:(ajgam@thegamaches.com) and I will respond with what I have and the reason for using e-mail.

Thanks
Arthur Gamache

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 8:07AM GMT
Arthur, you won't find your information in the Montplaisir family. If I'm not mistaken, as I posted in my previous post, The guy you're related to is Nicolas, The John or Jean you were looking for is descended from Nicolas, he's not a montplaisir, he just got the last name from them, he was working for the Montplaisirs when he took the last name, Nicolas was indian, no one knows what his actual last name was, he married a french woman named Catherine Guertin.
The montplaisirs were researching him here, those of us from the french montplaisir family.
There's not much known about him from what I've heard.

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 8:26AM GMT
Arthur, if you or the other guy researching those names see these messages, please email me. I posted a link from Rootsweb in a previous post to the information John/Jean and Malvina, I am a Montplaisir descendant from the Montplaisir/Desy line. The french fur trade family.

mysterypretender@mindless.com

-Cj

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 2:28PM GMT
Mysterypretender,

I looked at the rootsweb lineage and I have to say most of it is wrong. The person DesyGilles, though I am sure he means well he has alot of the information wrong. I first looked at My family mother father grandfather. Names dates places are wrong. It is close but it is wrong.

Also I am aware that "Jean" translate into "John" in english. However sometimes John is John expecially when I am looking at birth/death records and census.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic