Search for content in message boards

TOM QUICK

TOM QUICK

Posted: 3 Jan 2000 5:37PM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2004 8:29PM GMT
AM LOOKING FOR THE STORY OF TOM QUICK THE INDIAN KILLER. MY GRANDMOTHER WAS A QUICK AND HAD A SMALL ARTICLE OUT OF TH OCT "59 LIFE? MAGAZINE. HER NAMAE WAS DELLA AND MARRIED INTO THE GEER FAMILY AND HAD 13 CHILDREN ATAT LIVED, ONE IS STILL ALIVE AT 95 YRS.

Tom Quick

Deborah G. Quick (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2000 1:03PM GMT
Hi. I am (unfortunately) related to said gentleman. He was witness as a little boy to the killing-and-scalping of his father by a band of Delaware Indians. Killed one of them as they were leaving. Continued his "revenge." At one point, seven braves surrounded him as he was splitting lumber, demanded they go with him. He asked for their help to hold the log open -when their fingers were in place, he knocked out the log splitter, and killed all seven. It was said on his deathbed he asked for "Just one more, to make it an even hundred." He was buried, and the Indians came and dug up the grave to desecrate the body. He got yet more revenge, because he had died of chickenpox (I think) and a number of the tribe died from it.

Tom Quick-The Indian Slayer

Ruth Connors (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2000 12:25PM GMT
Saw your message re: Tom Quick.Some years ago(when I was first learning how to do my genealogy)I took a trip to the area where Tom spent his life. I fished out my notes etc from my trip and would be happy to send them to you. I also took pictures of a monument erected by one of his descendants. If you would like copies I could get some made. I made a written copy of the inscription on the monument, in case it was not readable on the photos. Let me know if you would like this stuff. It doesn't appear that Tom is directly related to our family. Happy tree climbing, Ruth

Tom Quick-The Indian Slayer

Ruth Connors (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2000 12:32PM GMT
Hi Deborah Just wanted to let you I visited the area of Tom's escapades some years ago. You probably already know that there is a monumentfor him etc. If not,I have photos notes etc I took, that I would be happy to make copies of for you. It appears that our family is only distantly related to Tom.

Tom's Monument

Deborah Quick (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2000 2:05PM GMT
Oh Ruth, I'd love a picture of the monument. And anything else you might have about him, as my own knowledge is a bit scarce. You can send to me email ElfkinsTwo@aol.com. Thank you.

Tom's Monument

Deborah Quick (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2000 2:05PM GMT
Oh Ruth, I'd love a picture of the monument. And anything else you might have about him, as my own knowledge is a bit scarce. You can send to me email ElfkinsTwo@aol.com. Thank you.
Posted: 2 Feb 2000 7:56AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2001 1:15PM GMT
well somehow i a m related to tom the indian fighter.... would love to know where this monument is..please...sounded like delaware area..i grew up in the camden county area jersey. please reply

tom quick the Indian Slayer

kathy (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2000 3:07PM GMT
Hi kathy Got your message re Tom . Our computer has been down but hopefully is ok now. As you probably read in my other messages I have pix, copy of the inscription, some info on the area etc that I would be glad to send to you. It is in a place called the Tri State area which you are probably familiar with, as you grew up in Jersey. You can reach me at---jerruth@trailnet.com. I see on one of your other messages you are looking for Consalus, Quick,DeHooges,westval etc. I have some stuff on those folks too. Let me know what you would like. Ruth

tom and his companions

Posted: 5 Feb 2000 3:18PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2001 1:15PM GMT
i would love to receive anything you have. i am trying to solve this problem with an adam bartlett from england 1046 stopham also.
there seems to be alot of different information out there. a decendant of his josiah bartlett signed the declaration. i know he s one of mine. you in this family some where? maybe i can help you? thanking you in advance kathykm@gate.net

TOM QUICK

FLOREN QUICK (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2000 6:58PM GMT
A legendary account of Tom Quick's exploits is contained in the book "Body, Boots Britches" by Harold W. Thompson, published in 1939 by Dover Publications, Inc., NY. The account is contained in Chapter III, Injun Fighters.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions