Search for content in message boards

Mary, wife of Henry Soward

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 4:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jun 2006 3:41PM GMT
Surnames: Soward
Seeking maiden name of Mary, wife of Henry Soward. She was born in North Carolina in 1778. Henry and Mary lived in Rutherford County, North Carolina, from about 1802 until about 1812 when they moved to Knox County, Tennessee. They later lived in Roane County, Tennessee, where Henry died in 1839. Mary is listed on the 1850 U.S. Census of Knox County, Tennessee. When did she die?

Re: Mary, wife of Henry Soward

Posted: 18 Jan 2005 8:27AM GMT
Hi - I am a descendent of Dewitt Talmage Soward. I have Mary Soward's maiden name as Walker. However, I am just getting started on pulling evidence together as I have been working with photographs and am just returning to the documentation. I also have death as 1850, Knox County Tennessee -- again -- no firm evidence, but you might try this name? Just visited Blanchard OK in September and have scanned many pictures in case you are interested in specific individuals in that line (have some photos of siblings/cousins etc. as well.

Kim Reed (Great Granddaughter of D.T. Soward)

H. Martin Soward, III (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2005 2:14AM GMT
Hi Kim,
I am glad to hear from you. I know many of the descendants of Dewitt Talmage Soward. I have seen no proof that Mary wife of Henry Soward was a Walker. That information has been posted by unreliable, amatuer genealogists. I have been researching the Soward family since I was a teenager more than thirty years ago. Mary's maiden name is one of my "brick walls." Likewise there is no proof that she died in 1850. She is listed on the 1850 Census of Knox County, Tennessee, so we can only say that she died sometime after the 1850 census and before the 1860 census. Yes, I would be very interested in the photographs that you scanned. Could you possible provide a list? I will be happy to share the information that I have found. My great grandfather, John Wamac Soward, was a younger brother of your great great grandfather, William West Soward.

H. Martin Soward, III

Posted: 24 Jan 2005 6:02AM GMT
Hi - Well, We've been working on this for a while, and we've scanned in over 400 pictures from the Soward and Swanson families. I do have 2-3 pictures of William West Soward, and some with Sarah Caroline Hawkins (Is she a sister of the wife of your ancestor? -- going off memory here, and it's been a while). We also have some very, very old pictures in which all the individuals have not yet been identified. There is one photo marked 1907 and a notation that "William West is seated on the front of the wagon" -- not sure of this, doesn't look like the other photos, but he would have been much younger than he was in the other photos I have. There are several other men in this photo, none identified by my grandmother or her siblings (so far -- still working on the index for these photos).

You probably already have this info, but I also found some transcriptions of the Marion (1885-1890) and Independence County (1859/60) Federal Land records (Homestead and Cash Entry Patents recorded before 1908-- several Sowards in those records. Finally, I have photos of multiple Soward tombstones, including West Walker Soward and Matilda Hotchkiss (Yellville, installed 1989 by descendents).

If you can give me an idea of what ancestors you would be interested in, I can look through the index to see what I have, and I will also keep my eyes open as I continue to scan in photos. I'm hoping to go back to Blanchard in March to introduce my kids to their relatives and continue some of this work. Please e-mail direct- Kr33d2000@yahoo.com if you'd like to keep in touch.

Bill (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2005 1:44AM GMT
I am looking for information on Dewitt Talmage Soward's wife.
Thank you. Bill

Bill (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2005 1:52AM GMT
Hi, I am looking for information on Dewitt Talmage Soward's wife. Thank you, Bill

Kim Reed (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2005 1:52AM GMT
Hi - Anna Maud Swanson Soward (wife of Dewitt Talmage) was my great grandmother. Daughter of James Cannon Swanson and Sallie Adeline Hogsed. Are you interested in more details? Please let me know what you are looking for. I have scanned photos I can share if you are interested.

Bill (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2005 6:13PM GMT
Hi Thanks for the answer. I am looking for a connection to John Hogsed. Please e-mail me and I will give you ore details. Thanks, Bill

MeLissa Eason (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2006 6:02AM GMT
Just wanted to say "Hello". I also am a great grandchild of DeWitt Talmage Soward. Dale Talmage Soward was my grandfather. I started my genealogy just over a year ago, but have not done much on this line yet.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions