Search for content in message boards

Some help with this uniform please.

Some help with this uniform please.

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 3:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Mar 2013 1:15PM GMT
Surnames: Cunningham
My great grandad James Cunningham is on the left. He is from Dublin, Ireland b. 1883 d. 1929. I don't know if he was in the English military or Irish. Any help would be appreciated.

Sharon

Attachments:

Re: Some help with this uniform please.

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 4:20PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2013 4:21PM GMT
Definitely British Army, circa the First World War. You should try searching for him in "British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920". If he served in France, Belgium, etc. during World War I, he would have been entitled to the British War Medal and Victory Medal. If he was deployed between 1914 and 1915, he'd also be entitled to either the 1914 Star or the 1914-15 Star. You may also want to try to find his service or pension record here. Although, most were destroyed in the Blitz, so his record may not still be in existence. Good luck!

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 7:56PM GMT
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. I have tried looking in the military records but unfortunately I have not been able to pin him down. There are a few possible matches, but no definitive at this time.

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 8:15PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2013 8:19PM GMT
My pleasure. Always glad to help :)
I should have mentioned before, but the hat worn by the soldier on the right is either a Balmoral (Scottish Regiments) or a Tam O'Shanter (Irish Regiments), but it's hard to tell without a picture of a cap badge or shoulder title which Regiment he would have been with.

Again, good luck! :)

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 9:06PM GMT
Well it would appear that the name James Cunningham is appearing in both Scottish and Irish regiments, so I will have to do a bit more work to identify if any of them are him!

Many thanks.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 4:11PM GMT
The soldier on the left has a 1902 pattern service dress uniform, and the 1914 pattern leather belt with the "s" snake buckle. This was issued starting in 1915 because they ran out of the webbing the other mans belt is made of. The soldier on the right has a strange tunic, notice the stand collar, pointed pocket flaps- with the Balmoral I was thinking some type of doublet worn by scottish regiments. You might want to try the Great War Forum to see if they can narrow it down-
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 5:13PM GMT
Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. I will also post over on the Great War Forum to see if anyone over there has any more detail.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic