Search for content in message boards

Karoro Cemetery

Karoro Cemetery

Posted: 17 Sep 2007 2:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown,Maher,McKechnie,Brookland
Does anyone know if there is an online listing for Karoro Cemetery,Greymouth? I have most of my ancestor's there, the surnames are: Brown,Maher,McKechnie,Brookland

Re: Karoro Cemetery

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 9:00PM GMT
No, the Grey District Council (http://www.greydc.govt.nz/) does not have any online cemetery information, let alone a cemetery database to search. :-(

Can you get your hands on a set of the NZSG Cemetery microfiche? There are copies around the country in libraries and genealogy groups, and may also be found overseas though I don't know of any specific overseas repositories that hold it.

The cemetery fiche have burial records and monumental inscriptions for cemeteries all over the country, including the closed Karoro Cemetery in Greymouth.

Hope this helps. :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard
--
Kaiwaka, Northland, New Zealand
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wendyh65/

Posted: 4 Aug 2010 11:12PM GMT
Hi,I just noticed your inquiry in 2007,you had been looking for a contact for the Greymouth cemeteries.There are two cemeteries Karoro and the new one Camerons.I was given an email address for info on burials. it is emmat@greydc.govt.nz hope this helps.We hope they go online sometime soon it will be a great help if they do.regards Paulette

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 3:14AM GMT
Surnames: Dougherty
Just found your post so have emailed that address with a buriel inquiry. Thanks.
Carol

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 10:40PM GMT
Hi
No Greymouth district council have not got any of their records online. They ask you to call into the public counter and they will assist from there. Not a great help. We have ancestors there as well so its a bit frustrating. You could try writing to the Grey District Council email at www.greydc.govt.nz
Regards
Dennis

Posted: 14 Mar 2014 5:35AM GMT
Hi I Have just found your post although it is 7 years since you posted it I would be pleased to help as I live in Greymouth and I'm always at the cemetery searching for headstones.
Please let me know what surname and Christian names you are searching for.
......Maye......

Posted: 6 Apr 2014 4:54AM GMT
Surnames: Henderson
Hi Maye, I have seen your post re Karoro and I have been cheeky and jumped at your offer to another member. I am in Sydney so its impossible for me to search. I am trying to find Henderson's who were in Stafford Town Westland. John and Helen Louisa Henderson (has been noted as Ellen) and I think they were the publicans at the Commercial Hotel around 1868. They had a boy John Hugh born there in 1868 and he died in Greymouth. He was married to another Helen. I left NZ as a child so although I remember these place names I haven't a clue as to where these cemetaries are despite looking at maps. Ive been on to BDM NZ and tried to find death certs but cant - searching for a John Henderson turns up a lot and Helen is the same - lots of Helen's no Helen Louisa. John Hugh turns up 2 but age at death doesn't coincide with birth year so I'm stumped.
Maye, if it isn't too much trouble would you mind having a look please - its not urgent so whenever you can. I would be very grateful. Thankyou. Ruth

Posted: 7 Apr 2014 7:51AM GMT
Hi Ruth will do that for you....Cheers, Maye.

Posted: 8 Apr 2014 12:06AM GMT
Hi Ruth, I can't find any deaths or cemetery records for John and Helen Louisa. In the electoral records they are still in Stafford in 1880-1881 but after that I can't find them.
In paperspast I found 2 births one in Jan 18th 1870 and one in July 23rd 1868 both sons. A death of a child 26th May 1873. It reads Alfred James Grey Henderson second son of John and Helen Henderson, Commercial Hotel, Stafford age 3 years 5 months.

I have John Hugh Henderson married to Mary Fleming Taylor 1897. Their children are: John Hugh Alfred 1898, Helen Louisa 1900, Agnes Jessie 1902, Mary Robina 1904, George 1906, Isabella Margaret 1910 and Robert Gray Hassel 1912.
I have the family living in the Otago goldfields where Mary Fleming Henderson died 1936. John Hugh died 1951 and is buried in an unmarked grave in Karoro cemetery. Maybe he returned to the West Coast after Mary died and maybe he remarried a Helen.
In the Hokitika cemetery there is a Grey Henderson who died 1944 age70, he could be a son of John and Helen Louisa.
I don't know if this is your family but some of John and Mary's children are buried in the Dunedin cemetery.
Helen Louisa, John and Mary's daughter married James Scoullar in 1924 and she died 1992 Dunedin.
Let me know if this is of any help to you.
Kind regards.....Maye

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 1:00AM GMT
Hi just another update. Catherine Rubina (Robina) Henderson died 7 Oct 1911 age 27 Dunedin, buried with her are Mary Fleming Henderson died at Dunback (Otago Goldfields) 3 Feb 1936 age 59 years and Mary Robina Mackey nee Henderson died 30 Jan 1991 age 87 yrs. All buried Dunedin.

William Albert Henderson died 1 Sept 1950 age 79 buried Dunedin and buried with him is Annie Elizabeth Henderson died 12 Feb 1951 age 69 years.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions