Search for content in message boards

Outlaw Jesse James relationship to Mr. Howard

Outlaw Jesse James relationship to Mr. Howard

Sue Paxton (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2002 5:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Apr 2003 4:43PM GMT
Surnames: James, Howard
Does anyone know if Jesse James had any relatives with the last name Howard and if so who were they? Does anyone know why Jesse James picked the name Thomas Howard as an alias?

Re: Outlaw Jesse James relationship to Mr. Howard

H. J Howard (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2003 7:22AM GMT
My name is is H. J Howard And My family tree stops about 4 generations ago and it has been passed down that I am the great, great, great grandson of Jesse James. I don't know how to prove or disprove this but I have seen a death picture of Jesse James and My dad and I both look almost exactly like him...All of my uncles and Myself were named after him... I have heard diffrent stories about this since I was a little kid...And, would like to hear you stories too...

Forrest Reid (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2003 5:00AM GMT
My Great Great Grandmothers Father was Jesse James. He was origninally Jesse Howard but was adopted by the James family which is why the name was then changed. But he passed on the name Howard to his wife and family.

Forrest Reid (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2003 5:31AM GMT
Sorry my mistake... He was not originally a Howard. I am trying to find out how the Howard name got passed on from him?

Nat Love (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2003 6:51PM GMT
My wife's great-great-grandmother was a Howard, and we have been told by her grandmother that Jesse James was her cousin, and that he used his cousins' last name as an alias.

Bill (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 2003 5:00AM GMT
My father told me that we were related to Jesse James on Jesse's mother's side. If you heard this information too, please share it, I'm sure it means we're related.

Tim Howard (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2004 6:52PM GMT
This question that you've posed is a very curious one to me as well. I know that my great great grandfather intimately knew Jesse James. I know that my great grandfather had met Jesse James when he was 10 years old when Jesse James visited them, and stayed with them. This story has been passed down from my great grandfather, to my grandfather to me. I'm unaware of my great granfathers first name at the moment, but my grandfather's name is Harry Howard. They were all from Kansas. My father was born in Kansas in 1936 before moving to Seattle in 1939. I was reading something on the net today that stated that Jesse James took the name 'Howard' from a friend of his, a Kentuckian by the name of Charles Black Howard. I know my grandfather has two brothers name John and Charles Howard. I have Howard family relatives in Kansas, Idaho and Washington all from this vein. Wish I knew more, I'm certain more is to come. I'm going to look into Charles Black Howard and his ancestry if possible. Love to hear from you if any of this information is related to you in any way.

terri (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2006 6:00PM GMT
Would you happen to know what part of Kansas they were living in when Jesse James stayed with them?

Thanks, Terri

Posted: 30 Nov 2009 2:50AM GMT
I lived in Lee's Summit, Mo. for 16 years from 1973 to 1989. Lee's Summit is the town that Cole Younger (Jesse's cousin) lived in. Don't know what the relationship to Howard is of Jesse, but Lee's Summit was originally known as Howard's Hill, Mo. This might be a clue to someone out there. If it rings a bell, pls email me and let me know. Tks Jim Howard Sherman.

Posted: 28 Apr 2010 11:29AM GMT
I'm not sure how Jesse James acquired the name Howard. i've researched Jesse and Frank about forty years.I find that a Thomas Howard lived in St Joseph even after Jesse supposed death in 1882. I also found a man who is said to be one of his twin son's who is said to have died in Tennessee and was buried on the Link Farm there. Apparently he didn't die there but was alive and well many years later.
See message # 42811 on the James family Forum. He was George Robert [Montgomery K.] Howard [James.] born Feb. 1st, 1878, Waverly, Benton Co. Tn. died: 14th March, 1940,Portland,Multnoma, Oregon.
Using the name George Howard he had three wives. he married Grace Butler. then Belle Lee, and #3 was Delaney Elizabeth Shaffer. not sure of exact order. He lived with Jesse's sister Susan and her husband Allen Parmer. Mo., Texas., Ark. He lived in Oregan, St Josaeph Mo.
Be sure to look at message # 42811 on the James family Forum [Genforum]. Lou Kilkgore.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions