Search for content in message boards

Burials at Fort Belle Fontaine

Burials at Fort Belle Fontaine

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 11:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jackson, Ijams, Howard, Whistler
I am trying to piece together the story behind my husband's Ijams, Howard and Jackson ancestors, which involves both marriages and deaths at a place listed alternately as "Fort Bellefontaine" or Belle Fontaine, or "Jefferson Barracks."

Does anyone know if there are records kept for burials (or marriages) at the fort?

Possible occurrences I'm trying to verify:

Marriage of Sarah Howard Ijams to John Jay Jackson (a War of 1812 soldier serving at Fort Bellefontaine) with possible marriage year of 1816 or 1818.

Marriage of Sarah's mother, the widow Elizabeth Howard Ijams to John Whistler (also serving at the fort), 1816.

Death and probable burial of John Whistler on September 3, 1829 at the fort.

Death and probable burial of Elizabeth Howard Ijams Whistler at the fort, April 28, 1826.

If anyone could direct me to possible sources for Fort Bellefontaine cemetery records (and marriages???), I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
Jacqi

Re: Burials at Fort Belle Fontaine

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 10:05PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

1940 is the last available census at this time.

Facts you should know about the early census records -
All census records [1790 – 1840] prior to the 1850 census ONLY listed the head of household; whether male or female.

NO specific age was stated for any family member
NO place of birth was stated – city, state, or country
NO city, town, or village is stated – only the county; however some census takers listed the township
NO street address was stated
NO marital status was stated – single, married, widowed, or divorced
NO family relationship was stated – brother, sister, cousin, son, daughter, wife, inlaw, etc…
NO occupation was stated
NO parental birthplaces are stated
NO race was stated [but assume “white”]

1850, 1860 & 1870 census records do not show family relationships, marital status or parental birthplaces.

Step children are not enumerated as “step” children
Adopted children are not enumerated as “adopted”
Grand children are not enumerated as “grand children”
Orphaned children were not enumerated as "orphan"

1850 is the 1st census that shows all family members

1880 is the 1st census that shows parental birthplaces and family relationships +++

Missouri Death Records
Death certificates for Missouri 1910-1961 deaths can be downloaded and printed out for FREE, at this site:

- - Birth & Death records for Missouri began in 1910 - -

http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/deathcertificates/#...

TRY - Find a grave – FREE SITE - volunteer site all states; frequently has headstone pic

DO NOT SEARCH FOR A MARRIED WOMAN USING HER MAIDEN NAME.

http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/

Try Vital Records – Birth, Marriage, & Death, Social Security Info., Census Records – FREE ALL STATES
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 12:16AM GMT
Fort Belle Fontaine was established on low ground of the Missouri River in 1811. It served as the first US Military Post West of the Mississippi. Lewis & Clark and Zebuline Pike spent the first nights of their journeys there. Tow or three years later the river bank changed and that first Fort is in the middle of the Missouri. The second Fort was built on top of the Bluff. It was abandoned in 1828. There were some bodies buried at Fort Belle, but they were moved to Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery and were buried in a mass grave with a monument for Fort Belle. I do not know if the individuals that were moved were able to be identified. When searching for information, know the closest city was St. Louis and the township would have been St. Ferdinand. I would also try Cold Water Creek Cemetery in St. Louis County. Bellefontaine Cemetery was not opened until later. Hope this helps.

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 4:26PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions