Search for content in message boards

FTM converting tree to pdf not Gedcom

FTM converting tree to pdf not Gedcom

Posted: 13 Jun 2014 5:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
Have a new hard drive and noticed those trees I converted to a Ged file have been converted to a pdf file. Tried again and even though the file extension says .ged it still saves to a pdf. And noticed today when helping a friend that it did the same thing with a PAF file on his computer. He was able to do a restore, but I cannot...Any help greatly appreciated!

Re: FTM converting tree to pdf not Gedcom

Posted: 13 Jun 2014 1:47PM GMT
Which version of FTM are you using?

Which "export" settings are you selecting? (see attached screenshot)

I just tested using FTM 2012, and the export returned a *.GED file without issue.
Attachments:

Posted: 13 Jun 2014 2:38PM GMT
sbak50,
Are you saying that when you make a GEDcom file, it has a GED extension, but when looking at the file listing in Windows Explorer, it has a PDF icon?

If this is NOT the case, what tells you that it is a pdf file?

If so, then the extension is set to be opened by a PDF program by default.
If this is the case, then tell us the Windows version you have on this machine, so we can help in changing the default program for the GED extension.

Posted: 14 Jun 2014 1:25AM GMT
I have 2009 and don't have all the choices you show in the screen shot. I restored the computer which sorted out the pdf file, but is not converting to any file that can be opened, and certainly not a ged file.

I am thinking it may have something to do with my old hard drive crashing and getting a new one installed.

So onto a new issue!

Posted: 21 Jun 2014 6:57AM GMT
Sorry David, your reply didn't come through to my email.

I have Windows 7. And yes, when I save the tree to a Gedcom file it has the.ged extension, not a pdf extension....explanation below

When I tried to open these files, it brought up a window asking me to choose what program to open it with. And the only program it showed was pdf. I understand now that somehow the default program for opening it had been changed and I'm not sure how. Maybe in the process of putting in a new hard drive and installing FTW again. That's something I am going to be looking at. Maybe uninstalling the FTW software and reinstalling it will help?

Now, I have done a restore, which had eliminated the pdf default issue. Now the file is shown as white, which always tells me that it will need me to choose a program to open it. And that's where I am at the moment...trying to work out how to save to a ged file which will open. I have looked at my backup files and they are the same....they won't open.

Any suggestions gratefully received....

Posted: 21 Jun 2014 7:24AM GMT
Sorry, I mean FTM not FTW.

Posted: 21 Jun 2014 1:34PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jun 2014 1:46PM GMT
A *.ged file needs to be imported into a genealogy program to be opened in a functional manner. You can import into ancestry.com, or when RootsWeb WorldConnect comes back online, or many other sites or desktop programs - Legacy, FTM, RootsMagic, etc.

You can open it with notepad, but you will only see the text - see attached screenshot of what it will look like if opened in notepad.

HTH
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic