Search for content in message boards

Winters search - Upstate NY & Canadian Border

Winters search - Upstate NY & Canadian Border

Posted: 2 Jan 2004 5:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: William J. Winters & Lady Ceceilia Harper
Doing family research and have heard an interesting story that has apparently been passed down for many years.... William J. Winters (son of J. Daniel Winters & May Ross) married Lady Ceceilia Harper (daughter of Jacob (Hayse)Harper and Eliza Castle). I believe they were from England. She of nobel lines and he very poor. Ceceilia gave up her rights to her heritage as the story goes. They had 5 children Jacob Daniel, Hilda Lillian, Lola, Sadie, and William J.. All of the children were born in the Ontario, Canada area. The families relocated at some point to Morley, NY and other small towns across the river on the USA side. If you have any info on this family or it's story - please write. slacomb@hotmail.com Thanks!!

Re: Winters search - Upstate NY & Canadian Border

T. Harvey (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2004 4:38AM GMT
Surnames: Winter,
I have done years of research on this family, and so far have been unsuccessful at finding any N. Y. relatives. So glad to make your acquaintance! My Winter line started with several Loyalist families who escaped to British Territories during the Rev. War, led by Johnson of New York. You didn't mention any years, so I might be able to help you, if I knew what years - I have six generations, the outline of those in the Cornwall area. Treena Harvey

Sheila (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2004 1:42AM GMT
Treena,
I would like to see if we have a connection. I have Winter family from the Red Hook, NY area. Heinrich and wife Anna Maria came from Germany abt 1709 with 4 maybe 5 children. One of their sons is my ancestor Geroge Winter and Anna Margreta Backus. They had at least two sons, one by the name of Heinrich who married Catharina Passon/Bason in 1756 and had at least two sons, Frederick b 1756 and Henry.

Sheila

Posted: 18 Aug 2004 4:42PM GMT
Edited: 25 Feb 2006 12:31AM GMT
I am very intrigued by your story. I have never been able to trace beyond my great great grandfather, William Winter/s. He was born in Canada in 1798 and married Esther Ann Place, daughter of William Simmons Place, a loyalist in "The Kings Rangers."
Esther was born in Stormont Co., Lower Canada (Ontario) In the Cornwall area. She received a two hundred acre land grant in Townsend Twp., Norfolk Co., Ontario in 1833.
Their children were born in New York and Canada. They apparently traveled back and forth quite a bit. Can you advise me of the time period you for this story and the whereabouts of Morley, New York? I couldn't locate it on the map.
Thanks,
Al Winters

Posted: 19 Aug 2004 12:57PM GMT
My GG-Grandfather Peter Winters born abt. 1838, died 28 February 1920, and lived in the Ulster County area of New York State. His daughter my G-Grandmother Carrie Winters born abt. 1865 and married Charles Wentworth. Carrie and Charles wentworth had at least 8 children. Peter Winters was living in the Stone Ridge area of Ulster County when he passed away.

If anyone recognizes this family I would love to compare and share notes.

Debbie

Posted: 19 Aug 2004 4:26PM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2006 6:25AM GMT
I am wondering if you have any other information on William? This name is common in my family tree and my great-great grandfather John and his siblings spent a lot of time wandering back and forth between our borders in the 1860's. My uncle William settled in Marquette, Michigan and was a well known blacksmith there. I have often thought the time spent earlier in the USA may have been with distant family members.

Posted: 15 Jan 2011 4:08PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2012 3:26AM GMT
Surnames: Winters, Williamson, Clavie, Clavey, Kettle
Hello fellow Winters researchers,

My great-grandmother was Violet E. Williamson, b. 1905 in NY (possibly Fayetteville, NY). She married Celestin "Andrew" Clavie. Her parents were Joseph F. Williamson (b.1867) and Carrie L. Winters, (b. 1865), daughter of Emma L. Kettle (b. 1847) and George W. Winters (b. abt. 1842).

If you think there may be a connection, please reply here or email me at jetsetmc@gmail.com.

Thank you,
Megan Clavie

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 7:19AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Winters
Hello Treena,
I am trying to find the connection between my GG Grandfather Elijah Winters (somehow the "s" was added but was later dropped by his son). The family group came from New York state area, was Loyalist and settled in Cornwall area. I do not have the record for birth or christening of Elijah and can not tie him to his parents. We believe we know who the parents are (Henry and Nancy McWilliams) but have no proof. I am also interested in the siblings who were born in the US before the revolution.

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 7:36AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Winter, McWilliams
Hello Sheila,
I have Winter(s) family with this background - at least this is what we believe but have not been able to find the proof - namely evidence that identifies the parents of my GG Grandfather Elijah Winters. We think it was Henry and Nancy McWilliams. I had wondered who this Frederick was, and didn't know until very recently that he was quite a bit older than Henry - and I then had wondered if he was Henry's father. But I am wondering if you have seen the birth/christening record for either Frederick or Henry, how you know the birth year for Frederick, and also whether you know anything about my GG grandfather Elijah Winter.
H Traub

Posted: 26 Feb 2011 6:28PM GMT
Surnames: Winter, Winters, Pepper, Backus, Passon
My Frederick was born in 11 Apr 1756 in Red Hook, Dutchess Co., NY He was baptized in the St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church (West Camp, Ulster Co., NY). Sponsers Fried Backes, and wife Catharina Haupt, wife.

Frederick had a brother named Henry, I don't know when he was born. Frederick and his brother joined Lord Dunmore's War in April of 1774. They were ambushed in Western PA. Henry, Frederick and two other men were taken. Frederick says he was taken to Canada where he was held hostage for 5 yrs before he was able to escape and go back to his home in Paint Lick, KY. He does not mention Henry again. So I don't know if his brother survived or not.

Frederick lived a short time in Paint Lick, KY and then by 1820 moved to Burkesville, Cumberland Co., KY. It is here that we know he has one son and one daughter,b between 1784-1794 but do not know their names. In 1820 Henry appears as Head of Household with 3 children. William, his son and two daughters names unknown. Frederick then moves to Thompkinville Monroe Co, KY and soon afterwords Henry moves their with his family.

As far as the parents of Frederick and Henry goes, I know they were in the Red Hook, NY area as late as 1767. Heinrich was listed in Capt. Abraham Van Aernam's Co., (near Backus family)The Backus family was Frederick and Henry's mother's side of the famly. I think they left the NY area after that and went to the VA-NC area and that is where the brothers signed on to Lord Dunmore's war. I haven't found the proof I need yet, but that is where I'm looking for the Winter family. BTW Frederick and he son Henry went by Winter, but the "S" was then added to the name after that.

If you find Henry in the St. Paul's Lutheran records I would love to know about it.

When and Where was Elijah born? Did he have siblings? You can email me direct if you like. I have a little more information on Heinrick's ancestors.

Sheila
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions