Search for content in message boards

Edwards/ Sheppard slaves

Edwards/ Sheppard slaves

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 7:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Edwards Sheppard
Looking for some help. I am helping my husband's family search for the ancestors. The furthest I can go back in to John Edwards and his wife Mary(both African American). They had 6 children: Lilly, Rachel, Georgia, Mary, John and Joseph. Lilly, Rachel and Georgia as well as the parents John and Mary(Mollie) Edwards were all born in North Carolina and the remaining children were born in Portsmouth, Va after they moved. I am following up on a hunch and looking for some help. The daughter Rachel married a man named "Dee" Sheppard who is listed from Washington NC. We dont know where our Edwards relatives were from in North Carolina but I have found some white families in Washington NC who did own slaves. I looked for Edwards and Sheppard familes that owned slaves in the area and found there is documentation of a Theophilus Edwards who married an Elizabeth Sheppard as well as Mary Edwards who married a James Glasgow Sheppard.Also have Elizabeth A.C. Sheppard and Dempsey Edwards as well as a few others. So these families were definitely intertwined. There is always the possibility that some of the slaves were moved around to different plantations between the families as part of dowries etc which could explain our Rachel Edwards and Dee Sheppard finally meeting. Im wondering if anyone knows if there are any slaves records for these 2 families.If there are possibly any old family bibles that were donated to collections that can be searched to see if there is possibly a name of any slaves.

Since it doesnt look like they relocated until about 1900 they may have stayed on to help work the land so any records of people working for them would help. Its taken me 4 years to get to this point and I am looking for someone to steer me in the right direction so any help would be appreciated!

Re: Edwards/ Sheppard slaves

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 3:54PM GMT
In your query you did not mention any date other than 1900. When did John and Mary Edwards die? If it was after 1930 there should be a death certificate. After 1913 there maybe a death certificate. Sadly if we were discussing white ancestors, I would suggest newspapers for obituaries.
I have found it is rare for slave owners to mention in bibles or to inscribe names on tombstones. If I was looking for slave names I would look in wills. If early wills included bedding, furniture, pots and pans you can bet they listed slaves by name. I read a will from the early 1800's that listed all slaves by first names and where they were to go even if they were to be freed. Good Luck.

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 6:01PM GMT
Surnames: Shepard, Sheppard, Shepherd
Hi. My 2nd GGfather is James Franklin Sheppard (1888-1954) who died in Beaufort county however, there is no facts about his birth. I stumbled upon a John Richard Sheppard whom I believe to be his brother, as well, they have always lived next door to each other. James is extremely fair skinned (his photo hangs on my wall), so obviously documentation of his origin is not easy to be found. At some point he applied for a SS number and listed his father as Henry, from Greenville, Pitt County. My point is, your search may very well have to lead you to another county. I have already found other ancestors who started in Washington county and ended in Beaufort. Please have a look at my tree and let me know if anything looks familiar.

Would you tell me, which ancestor are you more positive about? Does your husband have any oral history about any of his Sheppard ancestors?

Regards,
ZShackleford

Posted: 23 Jul 2014 9:10PM GMT
Yes, In researching the Couch Family in Mason County, WV -- Slaves' names were listed in a family Bible. Slaves were listed in Wills. Hope this information is helpful. Not a relative.
I would like to know -- in Washington County and Tyrrell County -- where were the slaves buried?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions