Search for content in message boards

FTM can not connect to ancestry

FTM can not connect to ancestry

Posted: 19 Jun 2014 4:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
GRRRRR!!!! I am so angry....trying all day to get my FTM2014 to connect to ancestry without success. I just reinstalled my FTM program and now just found some posts and info about the ancestry site being compromised. Wish I had known it was an ancestry problem and not my computer problem...so angry...where is the communication from ancestry to its subscribers???!!!

Re: FTM can not connect to ancestry

Posted: 19 Jun 2014 11:10AM GMT
While Ancestry was under the DDoS attack, updates were posted to its Facebook page. Another good resource is isitdownrightnow.com, That's where I first learned of the attack through the comments. People who are much more savvy than I suspected an attack, and a blog site had written on it before Ancestry posted the cause of the shutdown on Facebook.

I've never been able to get FTM2014 to work with my primary tree. I wish I hadn't upgraded from 2012!

Posted: 19 Jun 2014 11:21AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jun 2014 3:10PM GMT
http://help.ancestry.com/app/answers/detail-announcement/a_i...

Around 1:30 p.m. MT on Monday, June 16, 2014, attackers targeted Ancestry with a Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS). The Ancestry websites are still recovering from this attack.
Fᴀᴍɪʟʏ Tʀᴇᴇ Mᴀᴋᴇʀ Sᴇᴀʀᴄʜ ᴀɴᴅ Tʀᴇᴇ Sʏɴᴄ ғᴇᴀᴛᴜʀᴇs ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴅɪsᴀʙʟᴇᴅ until site stability has been fully restored. Our team is actively working on restoring these to full service.
Thank you for your patience as we continue to work through bringing the sites back up to full capacity.

Posted: 19 Jun 2014 11:49AM GMT
Is this attack then also the cause of FTM 2014 'running' so extremely sluggish on my desktop?

Posted: 19 Jun 2014 1:11PM GMT
oh brother, I did not know ancestry was on facebook!! but I see it now, thanks!

Since I have reinstalled FTM, I expect I will have to upload another tree to get things to sync again once the attack issues are resolved, what a pain! I wish I had not upgraded either...

Posted: 19 Jun 2014 1:53PM GMT
Well I'm not angry, but do think an email notification would have been appropriate for subscribers. Anyway, this morning I seem to be connected (meaning it says I'm online) between FTM2014 and ancestry, but there are no green leaves at all, so something is still up with the connection. I can click on Web Search but no results come up of any kind, nothing at all, just a blank screen. so just an fyi to ancestry from a daily user.

Posted: 19 Jun 2014 2:45PM GMT
Methuria50 ,
Did you use the link in in the early post that "Family Tree Maker Search and Tree Sync features have been disabled until site stability has been fully restored. Our team is actively working on restoring these to full service"

Posted: 19 Jun 2014 4:05PM GMT
I am having the same problem with FTM 2012 for the past 3 days. Are you able to connect now?
Agnes Gilbert

Posted: 19 Jun 2014 5:09PM GMT
not yet...

Posted: 19 Jun 2014 8:53PM GMT
Thanks for this thread. I don't use Facebook or Twitter so without it I would be in the dark forever. As at 21.48 (BST) I am still getting mixed messages - mostly "authentication to the server failed", but also grey and occasionally green leaves.

Agree with other posters that a straightforward message on ancestry re FTM would have been useful.

Meantime, I'll keep an eye on this thread to find out what is going on.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic