Edited: 3 Sep 2012 1:14PM GMT
Surnames: Kemp
I am looking for relatives on the Kemp side
of my family that are now living in the Kalamazoo
area. The Kemp family immigrated from Ulverston,
Lancashire England in the 1880's. Parents were James
Provis Kemp and his wife Selina. Their children were
James,William, Selina, Polly, Alice, Daisy, Violet,
Provis, Archie, and Walter. Please contact me.

Re: Kemp family of Ishpeming

Posted: 24 May 2002 11:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Sep 2012 1:15PM GMT
Are any of your relatives from Ishpeming Michigan? My neighbor's mothers maiden name is Kemp, and she was born probably in the late 1800's. Let me know if you think there is any connection.

Terri (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2002 3:05AM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2012 1:17PM GMT
Surnames: Kemp, Trewartha
Yes, some of my Kemp descendents still live in the Ishpeming area.
My Kemp family originated from Cornwall, moved to Lancashire in the 1860's and immigrated to the USA in the late 1880's.
In the late 1800's there were a few Kemp families in the Ishpeming area. I do not know if they were related.
The following info may be helpful for you as I saw another post by you about the name Trewartha----In reviewing death records of Marquette County, I noticed a Mark Kemp, 53 years old, that died 2/28/1923 of stomach cancer.
His parents are given as Mark Kemp and Elizabeth Trewartha, both born in England.

I posted an inquiry on the Kalamazoo Board because my father told me that appoximately 15-20 years ago, someone from Kalamazoo came to visit my grandmother and they
were related to the Kemps. I have been unable to locate two branches of my Kemp family --- descendents of brothers William Kemp (born around 1864) and Archie Kemp (born in the 1880's). I was thinking that the person
who visited my grandmother years ago could have been a descendent of one of these missing brothers.

Ray Silja (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2006 3:04AM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2012 1:18PM GMT
My father's sister Irja of Ishpeming, MI, was married to Forest (Frosty) Kemp. May he be a relative? He's now deceased. Frosty and Irja lived their entire life in Ishpeming.

Terri (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2006 5:06PM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2012 1:19PM GMT
I have no Forest Kemp in my line. There were a few different Kemp
families in Ishpeming and as of yet I have found no close connection.

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 11:48PM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2012 1:21PM GMT
Surnames: Kemp, Newton, Tyler
My grandmother was Bernice Kemp, who was my father Gerald Newton's mother. I found her obituary just recently and read that my grandmother Bernice Kemp Tyler Newton was the daughter of James W. Kemp and Bessie Kemp. I'm not sure if that is the James Kemp mentioned in your post. Would you happen to know if it is and also if the father of James W. Kemp was George Kemp from England and Annette Kemp from New York? There is some information I found somewhere that says George Kemp III from England was James Kemp's father.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic