Search for content in message boards

Oil City, Venango Co., PA DAVISES

Oil City, Venango Co., PA DAVISES

Gloria Davis (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DAVIS, KARNES, KERNS
I am looking for any information on my Davis relatives who started out in Venango Co. I have the following, let me know if you can add to it.

Bud (Budd) Davis (1886-1955) m Clara Bell Adams (1885-1952) in 1903, they had 7 children.
Millard Filmore "Phil" Davis (1852-1940)m Sarah Kathryn Karnes (1869-1965) about 1882, they had 8 children.
Wilson Davis (1820-?) m Henrietta Kerns (1828-?) about 1844, they had 5 children.
Abraham Davis and "Miss" May were Wilson's parents, as far as I can see they had 4 children, probably more.

All This started in Oil City, Venango Co., PA. If you are related or have any information on this Davis clan, please respond.

Thank you in advance . . .
Posted: 2 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Aug 2001 8:38PM GMT
Surnames: Davis, McClellan
Have more data on Millard Fillmore Davis and on Wilson Davis.
Wilson Davis is the son of Lemuel Davis and Margaret Elliott, born 6 Oct 1822 at Bear Creek, Slippery Rock twp, Butler, PA. I have five children for Wilson and Henrietta, but little on the Karns family, who were md 15 Aug 1844 in Rockland, Venango, PA.
Millard Fillmore had two wives and two children that I am sure of.
Willing to exchange data.

Oil City Davises

Posted: 11 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS
Why do you think (or do you have proof?) that Wilson's father is Lemuel? I do see a listing in the 1850 census for what appears to me to be Samuel (70) and Margaret (60). There are many Abraham Davises in PA. I am currently checking to see who provided me with Wilson's father being Abraham. Please get back to me about Lemuel. Thank you. Gloria

Oil City Davises

Gloria Butler Davis (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Davis
Helen: THANK YOU!! for all of that information. I started researching our families' histories about 1983. I sincerely cannot remember from where the name Abraham came. I believe my father-in-law gave the name to me. Budd R Davis, Bud U Davis, Millard F Davis. The only other place it would have come from was my sister-in-law. She went to Oil City a few years ago to do some research in my/our behalf. I don't remember her coming back all excited with a new generation found so, it must have been my father-in-law. Perhaps that's why she only got as far as she did at that time. She had fun searching, I'll have to call and ask her about Abraham. I am usually very careful about documenting my data; however, with word of mouth I'm not as careful as I probably should be, always keeping in mind I would have to verify it anyway. I too would like nothing less than accuracy.

I found a site "Descendants of William Davis" with a Lemuel born about 1788.
www.familytreemaker.com/users/h/o/f/Ray-D-Hoffman/GENE3-0001....

I would like nothing more than to obtain all the information you have but feel very badly that I have nothing to offer you. I have yet to make it to the library to review recent census records. Everything and everyone has been on-line.

Thank you so much for responding. Are you related to this line of Davises?

Sinerely,

g

Lemuel Davis

Dear Gloria,
I forgot to say in my last message that the census enumeration which you quoted is really for Lemuel and Margaret Davis. You will note that the enumerator made his capital L's and S's almost exactly alike.
Upon careful scrutiny of the census, it has been found that most everyone by the name of Lemuel is related in some way to my Lemuel Davis, which is quite remarkable.
I have a lot of Davis data--it boggles my mind. So, I am most happy to find you to help me keep on the right track.
Sincerely, Helen Clegg

Parentage of Wilson Davis

Dear Gloria,
Forgot a few things:
Rockland Presbyterian Church records: Wilson Davis md. 15 Aug 1844 by Rev. John Glenn to Henrietta Kers of Richland Twp., Venango. Co.
Will Book 3, p 181 for Lemuel Davis of Rockland Twp, Venango Co. Leaves to youngest dau. Eliza Marget all land or real estate, property of whatsoever kind. Daved 13 Jan 1855 Eliza Margret's obituary says she is the dau of Lemuel Davis and that she md. Joseph Harrison Smith 16 May 1847 in Rockland
By combining facts about children of Lemuel and Margaret Davis who say that are brothers and sisters and when one or two mention that their parents were Lemuel and Margaret, I conclude that all were, especially when deeds in Butler Co. beginning in 1814 are in the name of Lemuel and Margaret and she dies after him--unless he marries two ladies named Margaret, then Margaret Elliott must be mother of all children.
Newton's Venango Co. History, p. 824 has a history of Joseph Harrison Smith, naming his wife Margaret Eliza Davis, dau of Lemuel and Margaret Elliot Davis.

Wilson Davis

You asked for documentation of Wilson Davis' parentage. In his obituary in the 4 Apr 1892 issue of the Oil City Derrick it gives his birthdate and place and names his 5 children who survived him: Mary Etta Eagen (Mrs. Austin); Mrs. Buena Smith; Philip Davis, all of Oil City; Lena B. Ford (Mrs. S. B.) of Stillwater, N.Y.; Mrs. Samuel Grinnel, of Salem, Venango Co. He was also survived by 1 brother, Hamilton Davis of Davis Corners (Rockland) and by 2 sisters: Mrs. J. H. Smith of Franklin, and Mrs. Prude (Prudence) Buchanan of Ringwood, Ill.
There is also an obituary for Wilson in the Citizens Press dated 7 Aug 1892. I have a copy of it, but can't lay my hands on it quickly--will send it as soon as I can.
Hamilton Davis' obituary names his sister Margret Eliza Smith, wife of Joseph Harrison Smith.
A quit claim deed (Venango Co. deed book 235, p 69 shows the following residences for Wilson's children in 1898:
M.F. Davis and Kate, his wife of Oil City
Austin and Marietta D. Eagen, Oil City
Spencer B. Ford and Lena May, his wife, Stillwater, N.Y.
S. J. Grinnell and Missouri, his wife, Newton Falls, Ohio
A.C. Smith and Bunavista, his wife, Illinois
The probate packet for Lemuel Davis was missing when a Miss
Bigler searched for it back in the 1970's or maybe it was the 1960's. She searched 1854-1858
Now tell me why you deduced that Wilson's father was Abraham.
(I knew that my remarks would cause concern and confusion.--but we both want an accurate pedigree! So, let's figure this out!)
Did you ever attend college in Utah?
Helen Clegg

Re: Oil City, Venango Co., PA DAVISES

Posted: 13 Jul 2001 4:27AM GMT
Edited: 9 May 2004 6:15AM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS,ELLIOTT, KARNES, HALLKILGORE, OLSON, KENNEDY
I am a descendant of LEMUEL DAVIS (born c. 1789 Wales, died May 20, 1856 Butler, PA.).and MARGARET ELLIOTT!! Your info matches my family search and would love to share all info. I am working on the DAVIS-KENNEDY Gen. with my uncle, and was very excited to FINALLY find some connection. Hope to hear from you soon.
I can be emailed directly at: voirin@mindspring.com

Thankyou,
Wendy Holmes

Posted: 25 Nov 2001 11:48PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2002 1:41AM GMT
Surnames: Davis, McCauley
I don't know if these are of any relation to your Davis's....
My gg grandmother was Susan (Susie) Davis. She lived in Venengo County, PA and in 1906 married Warren McCauley. Susan was born in 1888 and died in 1966. Her parents were Charles and Alice Davis. If this helps in any way, please let me know!

Posted: 26 Nov 2001 2:08AM GMT
Thank you for your reply, I have Susan, Alice and a Charles but none which seem to fit with the dates you gave me. Feel free to contact me directly at kg_davis@msn.com if you feel there is a connection. My husband's Davis line left Venango Co. PA about 1920. Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions