Search for content in message boards

Knowles

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 2:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Knowles/Forrester/Leavers
I am looking for information on William Knowles, Sr. who was married to Christianna Forrester. I know the had a son William Knowles, jr who later married Elizabeth Leavers.

I know William, Jr. and Elizabeth both were born in Jamaica.

Re: Knowles

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 3:46PM GMT
Surnames: Knowles

I have several thousand men named William Knowles in my Knowles Database from all over the world. Can you be more specific as to other family member's names, locations and dates?

Rob Noles
Director, Knowles/Knoles/Noles Family Association
rbnoles@bellsouth.net
www.KKNFA.org

Thomas Knowles, b. 1810, Lancaster, m. 1830, Ann MURRAY

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 5:45PM GMT
Edited: 13 Apr 2012 12:12AM GMT
Do you happen to have any record of this family? We're trying to identify Ann MURRAY. She was b. 4 Aug. 1811, Lancaster, dau/o Mat. & Marg., & was mother of the Thomas KNOWLES, b. Dec. 1850, Lancashire, who m1. 29 Feb. 1876, Bristol Co., MA, Elizabeth MacCAULEY & m2. 1895, MA, Ellen [BUTLER] LORD, dau/o Michael BUTLER.

Grace KNOWLES was baptized 1837, St. Peter's Catholic Ch., Lancaster, Lancashire, England, dau/o Thomas & Ann.

We've found censuses of 1841, '51, '61.
Lancaster, Lancaster, Lancashire, 1841, all born in the county, KNOWLES
Thomas, 30 or 31? spinner; Ann, 28; John, 10; Hugh, 8; Margaret, 5; Grace, 3; Hannah, 10 months.

Blackburn (parish & borough), 1851, KNOWLES
Ann, head, married, 39, b. Lancaster
Ma[r]garet, 15; Grace, 13; Hannah, 10; Mary Ann, 9; Priscilla, 6; Thomas, 3 mo.
Granddau. Priscilla, 4, b. Preston.

Blackburn (municipal & parliamentary borough), 1861, KNOWLES
Ann, 49, widow; Margrett, 24; Hannah, 19; Mary Ann, 17; Precilla, 15; Precilla, 13; Thos., 10.

Because the age fits, we think Ann might have been the Ann KNOWLES who died at Blackburn, aged 64/69? last quarter of 1879. Informant was daughter Grace DUNN, so that's the right Ann even though the age isn't clear.

Fall River, MA, USA, census, 1880, Thomas KNOWLES, 30, b. England, had bro. Hugh, 48, b. England.

Ancestry: Priscilla KNOWLES (b. ca. 1845, Lancaster, Lancashire, dau/o Thomas KNOWLES, b. 1810, & Ann, b. 1811) m. Richard SCULL[E]Y, b. 1845.

Can you identify the ancestry of Thomas KNOWLES & Ann MURRAY?

Re: Thomas Knowles, b. ca. 1810, Lancaster, m. Ann Morris

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 9:49AM GMT
Surnames: Knowles, Morris

Speaking as the Administrator for this message Board (Knowles, technically this inquiry should have been a new inquiry and not a reply to the William Knowles inquiry.

Anyway, I am not aware of any documentation available for the parents of said Thomas Knowles and / or his wife, Ann Morris. Some of their children and their families are listed in the Bristil Co., Massachusetts Censuses.

Is Thomas Knowles, Jr. your Knowles line?

Thomas, Jr. had at least three sons, so there is a good chance that this Knowles family has a living direct male descendant who could be tested to establish the Y-chromosome profile for this Knowles line.

The Thomas Knowles Y-DNA profile when compared to the profiles for 100s of other Knowles men, might identify the Knowles ancestors for this Thomas Knowles.

Rob Noles
rbnoles@bellsouth.net
Director, Knowles/Knoles/Noles Family Association
www.KKNFA.org
Project Administrator, Knowles Surname DNA Project with FTDNA

Re: Thomas Knowles, b. ca. 1810, Lancaster, m. Ann Morris

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 1:57PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. There are descendants of this line from Virginia to California, and they've found a cousin in England who discovered this:

When Thomas KNOWLES married in Fall River, MA, 1895, either he gave the incorrect maiden name of MORRIS for his mother Ann or the clerk recorded it incorrectly. There was an Ann MURRAY who was baptized at St. Peter Catholic Church, Lancaster, Lancashire, daughter of Mathew and Margaret. Then Ann MURRAY married at St. Peter, Lancaster, 15 May 1830, Thomas KNOWLES. Additional information is that Thomas KNOWLES & Ann named their son John Robert Murray KNOWLES, and there was a Margaret baptized at St. Mary of Furness Catholic Church, Ulverston, Lancashire. This is all we have at the moment, but we're hoping to get more details.

Do you have any information on the above Thomas KNOWLES, b. ca. 1810, who m. 1830, Ann MURRAY?

Posted: 29 Mar 2012 4:18PM GMT
Jamaica Births & Baptisms on FamilySearch.org: William Samuel KNOWLES & Christi[a]na FORRESTER had at Clark[e]'s Town, Trelawny, Jamaica, Zacheus Adolphus, b. 22 Dec. 1879, and William Samuel, b. 7 May 1881.

There apparently are births on FamilySearch for the second Wm. S. and wf. Rebecca COLLOM / CALAME, etc.

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 10:27PM GMT
I saw the information. What I would like to find out are William Knowles and Christianna Forrester's parents.

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 9:33PM GMT
I am not sure where you got this information from but our Elizabeth Leavers was born in united Kingdom. Elizabeth came from the Bristol area moved to Jamaica and was living at Drax hall where she met and married Edward Campbell they went on to have three children Edward Campbell Jr., James Campbell & Sarah Campbell who Married Adolphus Steer.

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 11:50PM GMT
Thank you for clarifying the details of Elizabeth Leaver's place birth. I look forward to you contributing such rich history of the family history.

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 11:58PM GMT
I apologize for the confusion of this post. I didn't realize I typed the wrong name. William Knowles, Jr is my maternal great grandfather whom married Rebecca Callame. They both were born in Jamaica. They had several children together.

William Knowles Jr wa born May 7, 1881 in Trelawny, Jamaica and death circa 1957.

*Elizabeth Leavers is my paternal 3rd great grandmother. I am also doing research on her.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions