Search for content in message boards

1859/60 St. Louis, indept. City Ward 1 - Catholic Records

1859/60 St. Louis, indept. City Ward 1 - Catholic Records

Posted: 1 Jul 2013 4:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McLaughlin
Does anyone know if the St. Louis Libraries Catholic Birth & Marriage records on film are the same as the ones on Family Search.org?

I have my gggm Mary M McLaughlin who was born in March 1859 or 1860 and I don't see her on any birth records online as they didn't have to report them back then. I'm just trying to figure how I can find my gggm & her sister. Sister was Emily C. McLaughlin b. 1863. I do have info on records once they are married but it's not much.

Sure wish I lived near St. Louis Library!!!

Does anyone know if they have these Catholic Records anywhere else. About 15 years ago I wrote the Archdiocese and they said all the records were burned. Strange as I see lots of Entries on the Family Search Film Database not so much online. Any ideas?

(Looking for Birth or Baptism records)

Re: 1859/60 St. Louis, indept. City Ward 1 - Catholic Records

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 4:18PM GMT
In my experience, civil birth records in St. Louis are hard to locate until the 1870's. They get a bit better in the 1880's and 1890's, but are still spotty until 1910 when statewide birth registration was required.

For Catholic Baptismal records, my understanding is that the Archdiocesan archives has them on microfilm and has provided a copy to the St. Louis City and County libraries. I'm not sure if FamilySearch has them online.

To search them effectively, you need some idea of where the family lived. Do you know Mary McLaughlin's father's name? Since the 1860 Census does not provide exact addresses, I would suggest looking for him in the City Directory for St. Louis. (Ancestry has a good one online from about 1860 or 1861). That should give you an address where the family lived.

If you can't make it to the library, I would write to the archives. When I was looking for my gg grandfather's baptismal record from 1860, I wrote to the archives, enclosed a small donation (I think $25 or so) and gave them the information I had on the birth date, location the family lived, and parents name. They were very helpful, and searched a couple parishes until they found the record. Their contact information is in the link below:

http://archstl.org/archives/page/genealogy

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 4:53PM GMT
Thank you so very much!! I do have 1860 census and yes there is no address. I thought I could use the Ward # as I'm not sure he's actually in the city directory. I was trying for voting lists as I know he was in every one in SF, CA but haven't found those for St. Louis.

Your note was very helpful as what I need to focus on as I had searched online and found a family search page for film and they had tons of Catholic records but I have a feeling they won't put them online.

Thanks for the tips and hopefully I will be as lucky!

Cathie

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 6:28PM GMT
I think the problem with using the ward number is that the Archdiocesan archives staff will probably not know what the ward boundaries were and will not be able to narrow that down to what parish(es) to search in. A street address would let them do that.

I looked at one of your old posts and saw that the father's name is John McLaughlin. Do you know what his profession is listed as in the 1860 Census?

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 6:50PM GMT
Hi Cathie:

In the 1864 St. Louis,Missouri City Directory (viewed electronically here on Ancestry) I find the following entry on Page 275 of 487:

McLaughlin John, lab., Market, se c. Beaumont

This is the only entry for a John McLaughlin in that directory. I looked back at your old post and saw that your John McLaughlin was a carpenter, but sometimes was also shown as a laborer.

The address given in the directory is the corner of Market Street and Beaumont. This is just west of Jefferson Avenue, and today would be part of the campus of Wells Fargo Advisors, on the western end of Downtown near midtown.

Today, the closest parish church would probably be St. Francis Xavier (College) church on the campus of Saint Louis University. However, a look at their website (see link below) indicates that they did not move to this location until 1867.

http://www.slu.edu/college-church/who-we-are/early-history

St. John the Evangelist Church is also not too far away. It looks like that church has been at their present location since 1850:

http://www.stjohnapostleandevangelist.org/history.html

I'm not entirely sure what parish(es) would have served this area in the early 1860's, but I bet the folks at the archives would know and would be able to check the right records for you.

Good luck!
Tim

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 10:20PM GMT
Yes, I had found that entry and actually with more recent documents from Boston it's totally possible that is him as a grocer.

Thank you for taking the time to explain and send info for me to check out! So kind.

Cathie

Yes, I had found that entry and actually with more recent documents from Boston it's totally possible that is him as a grocer.

Thank you for taking the time to explain and send info for me to check out! So kind.

Cathie

Cathie

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 10:46PM GMT
Cathie,

David Lossos has put together an amazing website of St Louis resources, one of which is a map of predominantly Irish parishes and where they were located. It can be found at
http://genealogyinstlouis.accessgenealogy.com/EarlyIrishPari... .
The St Louis County Library also has a finding aid for the parishes of St Louis along with having microfilms of most of the church records. They will do some limited lookups for people, but I would advise you to decide on the most likely church, then order the film to be sent to a Family History Center near you. If you find the baptism there it will be definitely worth your while to scroll through the entire film to find all the baptisms/marriages/deaths of siblings, note the godparents and also which children your relatives served as godparents for. One of those collateral baptisms may have the place of origin in Ireland and the librarian may not find that for you in just a single lookup.

I have found multiple other births for siblings who were born and died in between census years that I would never have known about otherwise.

If Mary and Emily were married in St Louis by a Catholic priest you can find which church that priest served at by consulting this list at the St Louis County Library site
http://www.slcl.org/content/catholic-priests-st-louis-1841-1.... If you check the church record for the marriage it may be in the same church that they were baptized in or may have a notation of where they were baptized.
Even if they were married somewhere besides St Louis, you should track down the church marriage record because often it will give the place of baptism. Since Marriage is considered a sacrament in the Catholic church the priest performing a marriage was (and is still) supposed to contact the church where the bride and groom were baptized and a notation is to be made by their baptismal record regarding the marriage. This cross referencing is wonderful when it happens!

Hope this helps.
Judy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic