Search for content in message boards

Ledoux Ladoux

Ledoux Ladoux

Posted: 28 Jun 2007 6:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Michel Ledoux, his wife Eleonore (Bombardier), and the eldest of their children left Quebec and were at Belle Prairie, Morrison County, MN by the end of the 1850s. A James Ladoux (b. ca. 1840) and his wife Margaret (Trotochaud/Trotterchaud) had a son at Belle Prairie in 1867, and in the 1870 census were reported as living in Long Prairie Twp., Todd County, MN. James said he was born in Canada. He eventually settled with his family on the White Earth Reservation, where the children claimed Chipppewa blood through their mother, but also claimed that their father had been a white man. Does anyone have a clue as to whether James and Michel might have been brothers? Michel's parents, Michel, Sr. and Catherine (Sigault), who settled in Illinois, are known to have had children from 1823 to 1846.

Re: Ledoux Ladoux

Posted: 4 Feb 2008 7:53AM GMT
I am a direct desndent of James and Margaret LaDoux, I have some info from James all the way to me but have nothing on James or from the past.

I would like to exchange info if your willing.

Brian LaDoux

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 11:49PM GMT
It's a possibility that James and Michel were brothers. My 2ggrandfather was John Baptiste Ladoux, Michel's younger brother, also a son of Michel I and Catherine Sigo Ledoux. Their chiildren were: Olive b. 8 Jan 1836, Jean Baptiste b. 4 Oct. 1838, Julien (James) b. abt 1841 in Henryville, Iverville,
Rosalie, b. 26 Feb. 1842, Philomene, b. 15 May, 1846, and Vitaline, b. 15 May 1846.

The family story is that Julien, who was also called James, married an Indian princess, and that she had two sons. When she died, he tried to leave the tribe and take his sons with him, but was killed because the Indians would let his sons leave the tribe. Today the family's story isn't felt to have substance in the more fanciful aspects, but the fact that he married an Indian girl, and that he was probably killed by Indians in some altercation is accepted as fact. However, his death was supposed to have happened in Canada, according to information from at least one source.

Michel Jr and John Baptiste and other family members did go to Minnesota at one point to homestead. John returned to St. Anne, but some of the others stayed in Minnesota. I don't know if that is when James met his wife, or if his being in Minnesota may have had something to do with others in his family going there? Or if James met his wife in Canada before the move south to Minnesota. Many questions about the mystery of Julien (James).

Frances Powell

Posted: 9 May 2011 3:24PM GMT
Surnames: Le Doux ~ AMNIN DIT LARICHELLIERE ~ Coverly
I've just come across info on my husband's step-Grandmother's family. I don't have anything earlier than what is listed below and haven't had time for further research.

Francois X. 'Frank' Le Doux & Marie Louise Amnin dit Larichelliere married 29 June 1857 in Belle Prairie, Morrison, Minnesota.

1. FRANCOIS X. 'FRANK'1 LE DOUX was born Abt. 29 Apr 1837 in Canada, and died 14 Feb 1892 in St. Hcy_ cinth, Canada. He married MARIE LOUISE AMNIN DIT LARICHELLIERE 29 Jun 1857 in Belle Prairie, Morrison, Minnesota. She was born Abt. 29 Jan 1839 in Canada, and died 11 May 1878 in Belle Prairie, Morrison, Minnesota.

Children of FRANCOIS LE DOUX and MARIE LARICHELLIERE are:
i. FRANCIAS X.2 LE DOUX, b. 07 Jun 1858, Belle Prairie, Morrison, Minnesota; d. 20 Jun 1920, Portland, Multnomah, Oregon.

ii. JOSEPH MIZAEL LE DOUX, b. 04 Apr 1860, Belle Prairie, Morrison, Minnesota; d. 28 Dec 1933, Pasadena, Los Angeles, California.

iii. LOUISE LE DOUX, b. 18 Mar 1862, Green Prairie Twp., Morrison, Minnesota; d. 13 Apr 1862, Green Prairie Twp., Morrison, Minnesota.

iv. MARIE LOUISE FILANISE LE DOUX, b. 05 Apr 1863, Little Falls, Morrison, Minnesota; d. 18 Dec 1863, Morrison County, Minnesota.

v. LOUIS ALEXANDRE LE DOUX, b. 26 Nov 1864, St. Simon, Baget County, Canada; d. Jul 1918, Seattle, King, Washington.

vi. 'FANNIE' LOUISE FILANISE LE DOUX, b. 02 Jan 1867, St. Cloud, Green Prairie Twp., Morrison, Minnesota; d. 29 Sep 1901, 823 Sharp in Spokane, Spokane, Washington *; m. JAMES ROBERT COVERLY, 17 Sep 1891, Rathdrum, Kootenai, Idaho; b. 16 Sep 1848, Millville, Jo Daviess, Illinois; d. 15 Jul 1920, Sacred Heart Hospital in Spokane, Spokane, Washington

vii. LOUIS DAVID LE DOUX, b. 02 Sep 1869, St. Cloud, Green Prairie Twp., Morrison, Minnesota; d. 21 Sep 1870.

viii. GEORGE LE DOUX, b. 16 Jan 1871; d. 1927.

ix. LEVI VICTOR LE DOUX, b. 22 Jan 1874, Le Doux, Morrison, Minnesota.

x. ANDRE PIERRE LE DOUX, b. 31 Jan 1876, Le Doux, Morrison, Minnesota; d. Nov 1941, Seattle, King, Washington.

xi. MARIE EDNA LE DOUX, b. 11 May 1878, Le Doux, Morrison, Minnesota; d. 10 Aug 1878, Belle Prairie, Morrison, Minnesota.

Do any of these names sound familiar, please?

Thanks so much!

Posted: 9 May 2011 6:30PM GMT
I am related to this branch of the family. Fr. Al LeDoux sent me the connection to your query. Contact me and I will try and get back to you. I am in the process of writing a book about the LeDoux family.

Mary Bolton

Posted: 20 May 2013 1:36AM GMT
I had read your last post and wanted to let you know that I am also a LeDoux and doing some research. My grandfather (Lazim LeDoux b dec. 26 1899) was the son of John Baptiste LeDoux and Marie St. Onge. The family i believe was started in Canada and then into Minnesota Belle Prairie / Little Falls area / Tower city in the Dakota's in Cass country. If you would please let me know how far you are on the book. I would be interested in purchasing it.

Posted: 20 May 2013 6:31PM GMT
Yes. Julien Ladoux also went by James. His wife Margaret (I have her last name as Trostachault) and he were married in Canada, went to Kankakee County, Illinois with the family, and later moved to Minnesota perhaps about the same time Michel senior and John Baptiste also went there to purchase cheap land. James and Margaret ended up living on a reservation. He lived a long life and after he died Margaret lived with a Civil War veteran. they were married just before he died so that she could apply for his pension, but I understand she was denied. There's a good deal of research that's been done by the Ladoux cousins email group since I posted that "family story" in 2009. The story about him marrying an Indian princess, etc., was all fabrication. If you like, I can connect you with the LaDoux cousins, all descendents of Michel Ladoux (Ledoux) senior.

Posted: 20 May 2013 7:13PM GMT
I can send you a 2 page outline of your LeDoux ancestors. Your line is not included in the work that I have been writing.

The LeDoux family is too large to include in one book.

Send me your E-mail address and I will attach the 2 page outline of your family tree.

Mary

Posted: 27 May 2013 1:06AM GMT
Your right the LeDoux family is huge. father Al LeDoux has helped me and is appreciated. I am going up to Duluth Minnesota this summer and plan on doing some leg work in Little Falls and Morrison County. Maybe some of your of information may help.

Regards - Ron LeDoux

Posted: 27 May 2013 5:29PM GMT
Ron send me your E-mail address at Joann503@verizon.net. Then I can send you the file that I've made for you to research. I think that it will help you trace your family tree.

Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic