Search for content in message boards

Dickens // Victoria // Australia

Dickens // Victoria // Australia

Posted: 11 Jan 2012 2:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dickens, Black
Looking for date of birth and/or emigration for a Charles Frederick Dickens who married Ann Elizabeth Black. Their son William Mckellar Dickens was born Abt. 1870 in Mansfield, Vic, Australia before he moved to Hay, NSW.

Re: Dickens // Victoria // Australia

Posted: 11 Jan 2012 10:28PM GMT
Hello Rebecca,
There is no birth for William DICKENS in Mansfield .
There is a birth for a Charles Frederick DICKENS :
Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888

Surname: DICKENS
Given Names: Charles Frederick
Event: B
Spouse Surname/Father: Charles John
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Mary CLARKE
Birth Place: MANS
Year: 1860
Reg Number: 15460

There are 4 other births to this couple in Mansfield and 2 to John DICKENS and Annie FITZMAURICE.

Regards
Alison

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 1:35AM GMT
There is a birth reg. for a William McKellar Dickens in Victoria, 1863 (??)

He was a brother of Charles Frederick Dickens.

Given Names: William Mckellar
Event: B
Spouse Surname/Father: Charles John
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Mary CLARK
Birth Place: PRES
Year: 1863
Reg Number: 3076

Note birthplace on the reg. is 'Pres'.

If you Google 'William McKellar Dickens' you will find a link to 'Fees Family History Blog: Letters to Australia' which includes some family history on a Charles Frederick and a William McKellar Dickens.

Apparently their father Charles John Dickens came out to Australia in abt. 1847, and was manager of a property named 'Preston', near Mansfield, Victoria.

His marriage reg.

Given Names: John
Event: M
Spouse Surname/Father: CLARK
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Mary
Sex: M
Year: 1851
Reg Number: 25663
Denomination: Church of England
Parish: KILMORE
Fiche: 374

Cheers, Anne

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 2:06AM GMT
Thank you! I have come across this Dickens family and Fee's documentation, but unfortunately I can't make the dates match up with the records we have. Hard to believe there would be two William McKellar Dickens so geographically close, but the 7 year age gap and the fact that this one's mum died before our W K Dickens was born according to his marriage certificate, makes it hard to match it up. Thank you for your research and I will keep working on this link. Must be *some* connection here with such a unique middle name as McKellar...

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 2:26AM GMT
Edited: 12 Jan 2012 2:27AM GMT
Interesting . . .

No other birth regs. for a 'William McKellar' or 'William MacKellar' of any surname in Victoria up to 1888.

Does his marriage certificate also name his parents as Charles Frederick Dickens and Ann Elizabeth Black?

And, if you have his death certificate, does the age tally with his estimated date of birth via his marriage certificate?

Not intending to malign the poor man, but if it is the case, he wouldn't be the first to lower his age by some years, especially when marrying a much younger bride (?).

Do you have a marriage reg. for Charles Frederick Dickens and Ann Elizabeth Black?

Anne

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 2:28PM GMT
We don't have the birth reg. for Charles F Dickens and Ann Elizabeth Black unfortunately. Only going be what William M Dickens put on his 2nd marriage certificate.

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 6:49PM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2012 6:55PM GMT
from this notice in Trove
DICKENS.—On the 16th inst., at Mansfield, Mary, the

beloved wife of Charles Dickens, aged thirty-four, leaving eight children to mourn her loss. Wolver- hampton papers please copy.

29 mar 1869
it would seem to me that,Mary either died in childbirth, and baby not reg until the next year,or he employed Ann Elizabeth Black to look after his eight children, and the inevitable happened and she became his common law wife, and had children to Charles.Remember too, that without a birth mother, he would not have an accurate year of birth, and as few women could write, an assumption of age, probably occured. penne

Posted: 24 Feb 2012 1:40AM GMT
Bingo! Its him. Thank you for all your help!

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 4:16AM GMT
Charles Frederick Dickins born Mansfield 1860 son of Charles and Mary. Had a brother William McKellar Dickins
Charles Frederick could have married Ann Elizabeth Black and named their son after Charles Frederick's brother.
Charles John Dickins never marred after his wife's death in 1869. I am studing the Dickins family from Mansfield as Annie Frances DIckins (daughter of CHarles John & Mary) was my great great grandmother

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 4:30PM GMT
Hi Susan,
Turns out William McKellar just put incorrect info on his marriage certificate. (I am guessing he was raised by other family members after his mother's early death, perhaps his mom's sister Anne, but haven't confirmed that this was the source of his confusion. He had also put a younger age on his birth certificate, but he was marrying a much younger girl....) He is my great grandfather, brother of Annie Frances Dickens. I am descended from his daughter Caroline Emma Dickens, born Hay, NSW. My mother had the pleasure of speaking on the phone with Annie's son Clifford near the end of his life. We passed through Mansfield and Benalla and Violet Town in April doing a quick bit of genealogy from the USA but didn't find anything we didnt know, but good to see Preston Station remains and John Charles Dickins friend's William McKellar's Lima station remains. Are you in Australia? We couldn't find a headstone in Violet Town for Charles John and town library said cemetery records had been long lost. (fire?) Also, didn't find a headstone for Mary Clarke Dickens either, she had died a year before the cemetery in Mansfield had been established. Perhaps you have more information?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions