Search for content in message boards

Nicholson Ireland

Nicholson Ireland

Posted: 15 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Apr 2002 4:50PM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson, Kilmartin
Is there anybody researching name of Nicholson in Galway?
My connection is James and Mary (nee Nicholson) Kilmartin
in the parish of Clontuskert, nr. Lawrencetown, Ballinasloe, Galway. Their eldest daughter, Mary, born 1857
was my Great Grandmother. she went on to marry Martin Cahalin and have fourteen children. Possible parents of
Mary Nicholson, Patrick and Margaret (nee Slattery) Nicholson.
Be pleased to hear from anybody researching any or all of these name. Many thanks.

Re: Nicholson Ireland

Posted: 25 Aug 2009 11:34PM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson
Hi I am also researching my Nicholson family in Galway, Ballinasloe. My family was Honor and Catherine and John born abt 1817 - 1822. Also, Patrick and Mary Nicholson are family names from there. Any info you may have to share would be very appreciated.

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson, Flattery/Slattery
Hi,

Mary Nicholson who married James Kilmartin was born 19.3.1835. BaP 19.3.1835, , AREA lAKEFIELD. I cannot be one hundred percent sure of this information but I did have research carried out and this information plus parents names Patrick Nicholson and Margaret Slattery/Flattery was given as possible ggparents to me. Other siblings John born 1841, Patrick 1843 Margaret 1846 and William 1849. Apart from the area Lakefield for Mary no other area was shown but information taken from baptismal records, parish of Clontuskert, so not actually in the town of Ballinasloe. I believe some Nicholsons went to America.

My dates seema later than yours so not sure if a connection. Would be pleased to have a note of your details so can compare. Where are you located? Have you been to Ballinaslow, I have.

Godparent names mentioned, Joanna Mulloy, John Turley. ? Horano, Judith Keane, Mary Slattery/Flattery, Daniel Flattery/Slattery.

Kind regards,

Heather

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 7:58PM GMT
Surnames: NICHOLSON/ NEARY
Heather,
I have only recently found out thru church records that my gggrandmother Hannah Neary's maiden name was NICHOLSON. So my information is very new and may ot be helpful. Hannah NICHOLSON was born abt 1818-1822. She uses the names Hannah, Honoria, and Honora on different census and other forms. She married Edward NEARY I believed both were from the Ballinasloe area but I DO NOT know this to be certain. Edward NEARY was a stone cutter/mason.
These are the names of her children in birth order, all born in Philadelphia. Catherine 1843, Hester 1844, John Ed. 1846, Francis Patrick 1848, Mary Ann 1849, Michael 1852, Daniel 1854, Hannah 1856 and Margaret 1864.

I noticed a few similar names in your group - Mary, Daniel, John, Patrick.
Hannah Nicholson arrived in Philadelphia PA bet 1839 - 1942. I believe she married Edward NEARY in Ireland. She was a catholic. Her mother's name may have been Honor/Honora.
Yes, I have been to Ballinasloe. I foud it difficult to get early records. The ones I did find were faded and most difficult to read. Would like to hear your thoughts about any connections we may have.

Posted: 22 Sep 2009 3:44PM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson, Neary.

Hello,

There is not a lot that I can add to your information as have given you all I know about the Nicholsons at this time.

I did come across an entry reference 1840 List of Repealers, Ballinasloe where an Edward Neary was shown, also a Patrick Nicholson. Repealers supported the campaign of Daniel O'Connell for the repeal of the Act of Union 1801.
The Loyal National Repeal Society, Basllinasloe, Members of the Ballinasloe Morality Society. These details from the Freemans Journal 10.10.1840. I hve no idea if this refers to your Edward or if connectioned with the Patrick Nicholson shown.

I will keep your papers on file should anything else come to light and wouldbe grateful if you would do the same thing.

Regards,

Heather

Posted: 23 Sep 2009 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson/Neary
Hello Heather,

Thanks for reply. Yes, I have the repealers act and think there is a connection there. I'll keep your information in mind and contact you if I find anything of interest. You asked me earlier where I was located - I live in N.Y.

Thanks, Pat

Posted: 23 Sep 2009 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson/Neary
Hello Heather,

Thanks for reply. Yes, I have the repealers act and think there is a connection there. I'll keep your information in mind and contact you if I find anything of interest. You asked me earlier where I was located - I live in N.Y.

Thanks, Pat

per page

Find a board about a specific topic