Search for content in message boards

New Zealand Civil Service

New Zealand Civil Service

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 11:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jan 2013 1:53PM GMT
Hi,
I am afraid I do not have a request about the British Civil Service, but my question is about the New Zealand Civil Service of which I have an ancester who has been hard to track down and so am hopeing like you to find a way of tracking him, as all other attempts have failed.
Regard, Denise

Re: New Zealand Civil Service

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 12:20AM GMT
Do you have a name or any other details about your ancestor?

The first place to look would be Archway, which is the catalogue system for Archives NZ. They hold all governmental records. Note that not everything they hold is listed on Archway though.

archway.archives.govt.nz

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 11:52PM GMT
What year are looking for?
I have Book called "N.Z.Public Service Classification List 1915-16.
Has names, salary period, amount paid for both years, department, position, place, age in years and months as at 31 March 1915, date of first appointment.

Helen.

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 12:15AM GMT
Surnames: Wilson
Hi Helen,
Unfortunately our records of all dates and places for this individual are all sketchy. Here is what I have got so far.
James Wilson (on the ship "Eveline", on Waikato Immigration Scheme 1964/65"), 37 years old (born 1828), don't know where.
After that I have only records that are on the three sons marriage and death certificates. His wife Bridge after having two sons to him in South Africa, and one son in N.Z, then has 4 children to another man, but doesn't marry him till 14 years after her children are born, which leads me to think because they were Catholic, she had to wait till he died to marry her second husband.
The details on the sons cirtificates include these details of their father. In 1886 James Wilson (a Settler). In 1869 a Laborour, in 1866 a Policeman, in 1880 a Police Officer, in 1899 Chief of Police, and in 1946 a Civil Servant. I don't know how well they knew him or how accurate this information is, but apart from the Passenger list, this is all I have got.
Regards, Denise

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 4:13AM GMT
Hi again,
Do you know where he settled? When did the wife marry again?

Helen

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 2:08AM GMT
Hi,
No I cannot find him in any way, I only have references to him, on all other peoples marriage and death certificates. Also one of the difficulties is that his names are so common, but his wife remarried on 21 April 1893. It is only an assumption that James had died because of the huge gap between he having her children to Thomas Berry and he marring him.
Regards,
Denise

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 5:59AM GMT
In the 1911 and 1914 electoral roll there is a Bridget Berry and Thomas Berry and also a Thomas junior (miner, died in the Huntly mine disaster) and Frederick living in Huntly.
Are they your people?

Helen

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 11:43PM GMT
He must of been 118 if that is him in 1946! I did find a death for a James Wilson May 1893 aged 66 which would work in with him being born in 1828.and his wife marrying agin in 1893 But again you say she marr in April. ( a month before this James Wilson died ). How frustrating for you trying to find him.But it would cost you a fortune getting death cert,s for all the James Wilson,s who died in NZ!

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 1:54AM GMT
Yes, that is our family.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 2:02AM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2013 1:05AM GMT
That's right, and the James who died in 1946 was his son, who was born in 1862 in South Africa, he also had a brother called Nicholas who was born c1864 in South Africa. The four of them got on the ship "Eveline", in December 1864 and sailed to New Zealand, arriving on 22 Jan 1865. They were granted land in Pukekohe where they had a third son, John Francis Wilson born c1867, and he was my husbands grandfather. I can find no record of his birth though.
All these things give information on James Wilson(Senior),but it is only references to him that we have, no actual evidence.
Regards, Denise
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions