Search for content in message boards

Letts/ South Amboy, NJ to Seneca Co., NY

Letts/ South Amboy, NJ to Seneca Co., NY

Posted: 4 Mar 2005 11:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jul 2005 3:19AM GMT
Surnames: Letts and Dunlap
> Lewis Letts with wife Mary and daughter Elizabeth.
> were in what is now Seneca Co.prior to 1810.
> Lewis Letts was buried in Ulysses, Tompkins Co. NY before
> 1810, the year Mary married Robert Dunlap in Ovid.
> Eizabeth was born 15 Oct. 1793 in South Amboy.
> Does anybody have more information on this family?
> I know several Letts families from Middlesex co. settled in
> the Ulysses area in that time period.

> Thanks,
> Kelly

Re: Letts/ South Amboy, NJ to Seneca Co., NY

Posted: 30 Jun 2005 10:06PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2006 11:56PM GMT
Hi Kelly
I have been trying to connect my Letts line to that of yours...ours is also from Seneca County, the Ovid area....
Daniel Letts, born in New Jersey..in 1793, went to Seneca County and then on to Michigan before 1850....have you run into a Daniel in your search? I did a big land records projects of all the Letts in Seneca County and I will check to see what I have on Lewis.

Barb Lewis

Posted: 1 Jul 2005 3:47AM GMT
Surnames: Letts, Dunlap, Giles,Wilson, Wyckoff, Seeley, Chamberlin
Hi Barb,
I just saw your post to Pat. I did not realize that you had a will for Lewis Letts. My Lewis died by about 1810 and was the father of
Elizabeth, b. 15 Oct. 1793, with his wife Mary. He is buried, according to the family, in Ulysses with his wife Mary Dunlap, d. 9 May 1814. I have been unable to find anything on him; but have not tried land records.
Are we talking about the same Lewis Letts?

If I recall right your Daniel and my Elizabeth were born about the same time.

Thanks for your help.
Kelly

Posted: 1 Jul 2005 3:59AM GMT
Barb,
Where in Michigan did your Daniel go?
My Thomas Dunlap and Wife Elizabeth Letts went to Lyon Twp., Oakland, Michigan in 1832.
Kelly

Barbara Lewis (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2005 5:35PM GMT
Kelly, I don't have a will, I got into all the Deeds of Tompkins County that show all the Letts that bought and sold property and your Lewis is shown as the "late Lewis Letts" of Ulysses.....you need a copy of this and I'll send it as an attachment if you write to my regular account and let me send it to your regular account.

So let me know...
Barb

Barb Lewis (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2005 5:40PM GMT
Kelly, my Daniel came into Clinton County......
I have the records of Obediah Letts, born in New York, married Mary Englaish, and came to Lyon, Michigan (Oakland County) and his son Albert, who married Auralia Goodspeed, was born there.......there must be some connection to your Elizabeth. Yes, your Elizabeth and my Daniel were born at the same time. I'm sure there is a connection....
Barb

Barb Lewis (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2005 5:49PM GMT
Kelly, in this message, you say that Mary married Robert Dunlap....do you mean the Mary that was married to Lewis? I wasn't clear on that.

Also, it turns out that in Clinton County, Michigan, where our Daniel went, 2 of his grandsons, William and Riley, sons of Edward, married Dunlaps that were also from Clinton County....could there be a connection here?

Barb Lewis

Barb Lewis (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2005 5:52PM GMT
Kelly, what is the relationship between Thomas Dunlap and Robert Dunlap......the Elizabeth that married Thomas....she is the dau of your Lewis that married Mary Dunlap? Is Dunlap the surname of her 2nd married to Robert? I want to get all this straight?

Barb Lewis

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 12:45AM GMT
Surnames: Letts, Bowlsby, Dickins
I'm tracing a Willard T Letts (1903-1978) wife is Sadie ? (maybe Dickins) from Seneca Falls, Seneca Co, NY & his father Willard Letts (1880-?) whose wife is Maude Bowlsby from Ithaca, Tompkins Co, NY. Oral family history says Willard T Letts was Native American. Does anyone have any proof of this? Thank you for your help.
Barbara

Posted: 3 Jul 2008 12:06AM GMT
I really do not believe the Letts family to be Native American. He may have had some Native American blood from a marriage.
Letts is an old English name and started coming to "The New World" as early as 1651.
Kelly

For more infro go to: http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/letts-family-crest....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions