Search for content in message boards

Catharine Mertz, b. 1734, Berks Co, PA

Catharine Mertz, b. 1734, Berks Co, PA

Bruce Fosnocht (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2001 2:19PM GMT
Looking for the parents of Catharine Mertz, b. 1734 in Berks Co, PA. She married Lorentz Kline, and died in 1762 in Reading, PA. I think her father was Nicholas Mertz, b. abt. 1708. The descendants of Catharine and Lorentz Kline are at:

http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?d...

Bruce Fosnocht

Catharine Mertz

merts.f (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2001 5:37AM GMT
Hallo, i am Frans Merts and in the past i found
on the net a Barnhart Lorentz Kline born 5 Februari
1735 Germany, died 6 Juli 1819.
He married in Pennsylvania with
Catharine Elizabeth Mertz, born 1734 Reading Pa
she died 1762 also in Reading Berkshire Pa
She was a doughter of Johan Nicholas Mertz
who came from Switserland and was born 1715.
He died Longswamp Berks Pa.
He was married with Margaret?? born about 1712 in
Reading Berkshire Pa.
The parents of Johan Nicholas are
Johann David Mertz and Veronica Schneider.
He was born 1689 Hangweiler Elsace Germany and
died after 1748 in Longswamp Twp Berks Co Pa

Re: Catharine Mertz

Posted: 28 Jun 2001 11:11PM GMT
Surnames: Mertz
Thank you for your post with the information on the ancestors of Catharine Elizabeth Mertz. Your information provides a trail for my further investigations. The will of Johan Nicholas Mertz was filed on 12/2/1760 in Longswamp Twp. Berks Co, PA. It was administered by the widow, Margaret, and eldest son, Jacob. Do you know when Johan Nicholas and his father, Johan David immigrated into the US?

Do you have any more information on the Kline family? I have several versions of that family from differing sources, so I am still confused about the Klines. Where did the Barnhart Lorentz Kline you mention die in 1819?

Thanks for your help.

Posted: 14 Aug 2001 6:20PM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2005 11:41AM GMT
Surnames: Mertz
Ship's passenger lists show David and Veronica Mertz -- he age 44, she age 40 -- came in 1733 with their three children Hans Michael age 18 (he also was called John Nichol), Johan Peter, age 13 and Christianna, age 3. I have seen it written that the ship was the "Richmond and Elizabeth."

I am looking for a Philip Mertz, not the one born in 1738, who I believe descends from David and Veronica too as either a son (not likely) or grandson. My Philip may have been born in 1752 but that I'm not sure about that.

Have you stumbled upon any such Philip's?

Bruce Fosnocht (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2001 3:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
No, I don't have a Philip Mertz in my file at all.

Posted: 2 Jan 2003 11:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2005 11:41AM GMT
Thanks for your post. You have come across the man I call John Philip the imposter. He has been erroneously identified -- by many researchers -- as one and the same with the Philip Mertz who ends up in Freeburg, then Northumberland County and dies there in 1803.

But he is not my Philip. John Philip the imposter was the son of John Henry and married a woman named Catharine Quierin and they stayed in Berks County. They appear continuously in the Mertz Church records.

My Philip marries a woman named Eva and appears always in the Longswamp Church records until they move to Freeburg.

I have come a long way in my research since I posted that message in 2001. I now feel nearly 100% certain that my Philip (died Freeburg 1803) was the son of Hans Peter who was the son of David Mertz and Veronica. The only other possibility, slim I believe, is that he was the son of David's other son, Nicholas. So, in either case, he is the grandson of David.

The Quirin's and the David Mertz's attended the same church in Diedendorf, Alsace, then Germany, in the 1720's -- an interesting fact -- but I have not yet determined if there is a connection between the David Mertz family of Longswamp and the John Henry Mertz family of Mertz Church -- other than this association with the Quirin's.

Are you connected to any of these folks, Patty?

Patty Mertz (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2003 10:34PM GMT
I recently came across a Philipp (spelling from church records) Mertz married to Catharina. They are the parents of Johann Jacob (born 1770/1771) and also served as the sponsors of Johann Jacob (born 1773) this one the son of Jacob and Catharina. The baptisms were at Christ (Mertz) Church. Does this help?

patty mertz (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2003 3:58AM GMT
Surnames: Mertz/Querin
Wow! You are w-a-a-a-y ahead of me, a virgin researcher (:-) I love your analysis of Philip the Imposter. You really have it nailed down. I, on the other hand, have wobbly lines, all having to do with too many Jacob Mertzes, all born in the same generation; and sketchy details regarding all of them. I see in the Mertz Church records that a Jacob Mertz and a Susanna Querin were sponsors of Johann Jacob, son of Philip the Imposter and Catharina. That has nothing to do "with the price of eggs." I throw it in there just because you mention the Querins. How do you come by all this data? Do you live in Berks County? Write to me at pattymertz@ aol.com so I can send you any crumbs I come across. However, I doubt I'll ever find anything to surprise you.
You, on the otherhand, are a storehouse! Thanks for your speedy reply. Patty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic