Search for content in message boards

Organs from Newfoundland, west coast

Organs from Newfoundland, west coast

Posted: 24 Jan 2008 12:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Organ, Matthews, Sams or Samms, Poole in Nfld, Gathard
Looking for information about Michael Organ b. 3 Dec 1803 at St. John's Island, d. Feb 4 1862 at Norris Point, Bonne Bay. married Sarah Elizabeth Matthews, daughter of "Old John" or "Uncle John" Matthews. Michael is my Organ dead end. Does anyone have information about his ancestry? Thank you. Susan

Re: Organs from Newfoundland, west coast

Posted: 31 May 2008 1:33PM GMT
I don't have any information about Michael, but I was wondering if you have any information about the Sarah Organ who marries William Raike. Although the date and place of birth (from census and vital statistics records) are not exact matches, I thought she could be the daughter of Michael and Sarah.

Sarah, wife of William Raike, is recorded in the 1921 Census of Silver Point, St. Barbe District as born Mar 1839 in Rose Blanche. She was known as Sarah Organ by family tradition rather than any records I have yet to find (in my limited research of Sarah).

Sarah, daughter of Michael and Sarah Organ, is recorded as born 18 Mar 1840 in Baziels (sic). (According to Lovell's 1871 Directory, Brazils was 5 miles by boat from Rose Blanche.)

Thanks.

Posted: 4 Jun 2008 1:23AM GMT
I'm sorry--I don't know anything about this Sarah. But it seems plausible. Please let me know if you find out anything more definitive! Thank you for being in touch. Susan

Posted: 5 Jun 2008 1:13AM GMT
I have two Sarah Organs.
Sarah born (or baptized) Dec. 1, 1873, was the daughter of Uriah Organ and Mary Smith. I have no information about her marriage.

My other Sarah Organ was born 30 July 1870, and baptized May 28, 1871,in the Bay of Islands Church of England at Bonne Bay. She was the daughter of Michael Organ 1842-1870 and Elizabeth Harding b. 1843. I have no marriage information about her, either.

On the other hand, my GGGM, Frances Organ, was born in 1837 at Rose Blanche to Michael Organ and Sarah Elizabeth Matthews, and she was the older sister of Michael 1842-1870 as well as Uriah. So, there was a five year gap between them. Birth records were spotty at the time, as were baptismal records, so I suppose it is conceivable that there was another sister, named Sarah, who might have been born in between. This would be speculation only.

Have you considered that the Sarah you seek might be from a non-Organ family, but be a widow of a different Organ? My GGM was married four times, and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th marriage records show whatever her name was at the time, not her maiden name.

Sorry not to be of more help,
Susan

Posted: 5 Jun 2008 1:39AM GMT
Susan,

This is where I found Sarah, daughter of Michael and Sarah Organ: http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/vol-101-a.shtml

Regards,
Kim

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 2:52AM GMT
Surnames: Whalen, Manning, Organ, Neil, Manning
Hi I am researching with some of my family members the same information you are. I am a decendant of Rebecca (Neil) Manning, daughter of Gladys Organ and John Neil, who was the daughter of George Organ who was the GGGG of Michael Organ. The Organ's currently from Conne River Reservation. I live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Maybe we can help each other. :) I don't have information past Michael either but I am just starting to help with the Research, so I will keep you posted of the information that I have. Take Care

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 2:53AM GMT
Surnames: Whalen, Manning, Organ, Neil, Manning
Hi I am researching with some of my family members the same information you are. I am a decendant of Rebecca (Neil) Manning, daughter of Gladys Organ and John Neil, who was the daughter of George Organ who was the GGGG of Michael Organ. The Organ's currently from Conne River Reservation. I live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Maybe we can help each other. :) I don't have information past Michael either but I am just starting to help with the Research, so I will keep you posted of the information that I have. Take Care

Posted: 13 Jan 2010 4:14PM GMT
Hi, I am also researching the Organs. would this be the same Michael that married Sarah Matthews ? He is my GG Grandfather . Do you know of his wife befor Sarah , all i know is her name was Mary ? I have a conection to both his wives . William who was the son of Micheal and Sarah Matthews and James who was the son of Micheal and Mary ?? .

thanks, Colleen

Posted: 13 Jan 2010 11:26PM GMT
My Michael Organ is the one who married Sarah Matthews; their granddaughter, Caroline Samms, was my great-grandmother.
I was not aware that Michael had a previous wife. Busy guy!
But he was 8 years older than Sarah, and to my knowledge, their first child (My GGM Frances) was born in 1837. I don't have a marriage date for Michael and Sarah--do you?
Best,
Susan DeVogel

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 1:20AM GMT
Susan I have 1837 but i don't know were I got that . i have been trying to get someone to repair Sarah's headstone ,it has a lot of rotting . It is made of cedar wood ,it is about 5 feet tall . If anyone reading this knows of anyone who is experenced with this type of work can you let me know . It has been standing their for about 138 year and it would be alful to see it crunble . I have let the church know that I am looking for someone to do this .They want Someone to take responsibility for her Headstone so I told them I would . I guess after all these years a Great Greatgrand Daughter is about as close as you are going to get . I still have an Aunt and Uncle living but they are to old to worry about these things . Thanks , COLLEEN
per page

Find a board about a specific topic