Search for content in message boards

Goody Bassett hung May, 1651 Stratford, CT for witchcraft

Goody Bassett hung May, 1651 Stratford, CT for witchcraft

Melody Sterling (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2003 7:02PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 24 Aug 2003 1:46PM GMT
Surnames: Bassett, Riggs
According to A Bassett Book by Wheeler A. Bassett published by the author, Interlaken, NY 1928, Goody Bassett was Mary wife of Robert Bassett son of John Bassett and Margery ____.
Robert left the plantation after 1654 for Hempstead, Long Island where he died 1670.
Robert and Mary' son was Sergt. Robert Bassett b.~1640 who married 1687 Elizabeth Riggs dau of Ensign Samuel Riggs. Their children were John, Samuel, Jonadab, Robert, Elizabeth, Ebenezer all born in Stratford, CT.

Re: Goody Bassett hung May, 1651 Stratford, CT for witchcraft

walter t. crean (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2003 6:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Aug 2003 2:06PM GMT
Surnames: Hood, Bassett, Proctor
in 1692, there is a sarah (hood) bassett who was accused of witchcraft, but she was a sister-in-law to accused witch elizabeth (bassett) proctor and both women were not hanged. elizabeth (bassett) proctor was reprieved because she was pregnant and sarah (hood) bassett was found not guilty.

walter

Melody Sterling (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2003 11:25PM GMT
Surnames: Bassett
Goody Mary Bassett was married to Robert the son of John Bassett an immigrant settled in CT. The Salem Bassetts were descended from Roger Bassett in Mass

As a child, I used to look--very carefully--at my mother's copy of A Bassett Book by Wheeler A Bassett, Interlaken, NY 1928, and read about Goody Bassett tried for her life, how her husband left CT for Long Island. I used to wonder and still do, if any record was left by her children about their loss.

Posted: 28 Aug 2010 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: Bassett, Beardsley, Baldwin
Goody Bassett who was hung in Stratford Connecticut was the wife of Thomas Bassett. This is the Thomas who came to America in 1635 on the ship "Christian". He settled in Stratford with his first wife "Goodie", who was hung as a witch in 1651. He then married Johanna Beardsley, a woman 36 years younger than he. She had a family by him but the children are shown as having "never been seen". " History and Genealogy of Old Fairfield" indicates Thomas Bassett who married Sarah Baldwin as the son of one of the sons of Thomas Bassett who married Johanna. Johanna ______ Beardsley was married previously and her maiden name has been lost. I'm looking for her maiden name. Thomas had 3 children that I can find Thomas Bassett JR., Mary Bassett and Sarah Bassett. I am decended from Thomas Bassett JR. Which I found in a New England Magazine circa 1898. Any information on "Goodie" "Goodwife" Bassett would be appreciated and any further information on Thomas Bassett SR. and Joanna Beardsley.

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 11:11AM GMT
I have found some interesting information on Goody in the Stratford historical society if that helps any. I am working on a book about the Ct witchcraft Trials.

Posted: 4 May 2012 9:31PM GMT
i remember goody bassett as being one of the most interesting topics to talk about ...she was buried in stratford in the old cemetary behind sterling house her stone is hard to make out and looked tampered with ..you should check it out

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 9:02PM GMT
Hi. I am currently working on my family history (Tilyou line. I believe that I possibly am related to this line (via Sarah Sally Martindale). I would love any further info on Goody or where to find any more. Thank you Paula

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 4:53AM GMT
Edited: 13 Sep 2012 5:16AM GMT
Surnames: Lacey, Wheeler, Bassett, Baldwin, Canfield, Beardsley, Jackson

[quote]Thomas Bassett who married Sarah Baldwin as the son of one of the sons of Thomas Bassett who married Johanna. Johanna ______ Beardsley was married previously and her maiden name has been lost.[/quote]

This may not help, but I have Thomas Jr. who married Sarah Baldwin as the son (not the grandson) of Thomas Sr. who married Johanna_______Beardsley. This makes sense since Thomas Sr. was 36 years older than his wife, and there's a about a 60 year age difference between Thomas Sr. and Thomas Jr. That would have made Jr.'s mother approx. 24 years old at his birth.

It could be in error, but the source is the Ackley-Bosworth Genealogy book here at Ancestry. It's part of the ancestry of Isaac Lacey, in the section titled Edward Lacey, page 222a.
It notes the following sources:

*Families of Old Fairfield (Jacobus) 1:371-2, 2:568-9
*Fairfield Deeds, 4:125, 8:83, 10:291, 365
*Samuel Orcutt, History of New Milford (1881), 722
*Conn. Hist. Society Collections, 9:226
*Commorative Biographical Record of Northeastern Pennsylvania (1900)
*Bible of Isaac Lacey, in possession of L. F. Camp, Tunkhannock, PA, 1929.

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 4:51AM GMT
any hints on where her gravestone is in the cemetary? i went looking with a couple friends and we couldn't locate her stone
per page

Find a board about a specific topic