Search for content in message boards

Ernest PHILLIPS

Ernest PHILLIPS

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 2:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to trace my GGrandfather Ernest PHILLIPS. I do not know where he came from but he had two children (and possibly three) that I am aware of. These are Ernest Edgar PHILLIPS (born around 1881 in Victoria) and Myrtle Lillian PHILLIPS ( born around 1886 in New Zealand). I have not been able to source birth certificates for these but I do have marriage and death certificates for them both. Ernest Edgar married Mary Angela LAHIFF in Sydney on 22 Aug 1905 and he died 13 Sep 1949. They had five children (one of which is my mother). Myrtle Lillian married John Francis TORPY in Sydney on 23 Apr 1902, then later married Howard J Hayes on 16 Sep 1925 in Sydney. Myrtle had three children to John TORPY and she died in Sydney on 4 Mar 1959. If anyone can shed light on my elusive Phillips ancestors, I would be most grateful.

Re: Ernest PHILLIPS

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 2:22AM GMT
Ann Marie

Do you know Ernest Edgar's mothers name ?

Pam S

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 5:11AM GMT
Hi Pam,

I think the family were confused. On the marriage certificate for Ernest edgar it gives his parents as Ernest Phillips , Land Surveyor and Alice Harrison. On his death certificate it has Ernest Phillips, Surveyor and Alice McCormick. The first marriage certificate for Myrtle Lillian gives William John Phillips (deceased), Surveyor and Alice Corbett while her second marriage certificate gives William John Phillips (deceased) , Surveyor and Alice McCormick. Myrtle's death certificate gives Ernest Phillips, Surveyor and Alice McCormick. Which are correct I cannot say as I have not found marriage or death certificates to verify.
Ann-Marie

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 10:31AM GMT

"...Myrtle Lillian PHILLIPS ( born around 1886 in New Zealand)........married John Francis TORPY in Sydney on 23 Apr 1902..."

Myrtle would be 16 years old at marriage?...so would need permission of parent or guardian.
Does the certificate indicate someone giving permission?
Who are the witnesses named on her marriage certificate please?

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 11:14PM GMT
Hi,
Can you transcribe the info from the marriage and death certs for us?
I cannot see either birth nor marriage for the parents,,maybe the parents weren't married and children wre born with different surnames.

Kellie

Posted: 24 Oct 2013 5:53AM GMT
I only have a transcript of the marriage certificate. It says the mother is Alice Corbett and the father is William John Phillips (Deceased). There is a note saying "The consent of Alice Phillips, being the mother of the bride, was given in writing to the marriage of Myrtle Phillips with John Francis Torpy, the said Myrtle Phillips being under the age of 21 years."
The two witnesses for the marriage were Ellen Burns and Ernest Hardwick. Myrtle was married at St. David's Church of England, Surry Hills, Sydney, NSW.

Posted: 25 Oct 2013 10:21PM GMT

Letters of consent are often held with church records. I wonder if the original church record, St Davids, Surrey Hills, might include the letter.......with address of writer, mother Alice.

Alice Phillips is alive in 1902, but not present at the marriage of her very young daughter?. Who has Alice been living with......brought up by?. Is there a residential address on her marriage cert?

Alice is probably all of the names - Harrison and Corbett and McCormick..... because of domestic arrangements...she was a married woman but William Phillips was not her husband, or Alice might have assumed family name of her stepfather when her widowed mother re-married etc.....all possibilities.

What details do you have on the marriage certificate for Ernest 1905.?

Who is the third child you are considering in this family please?

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 6:09AM GMT
I believe SAG has microfilmed records from St. David's so I might pay a visit to them to see if I can find out more information. The marriage certificate for Myrtle said she was living at 415 Riley Street, Sydney at the time of her marriage.If you let me know where to send them I can forward copies of extracts I have which might be more helpful. As to the third child, I am not sure now. I think it was from family stories but I can't seem to find anything to verify this. It is just a suspicion.

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 8:24AM GMT

It would be better to transcribe the information from the marriage certificate 1905 than to scan. Can you write up the details for this forum please?.

From Assessment Books City of Sydney 1845 - 1948 for 415 Riley St

name of person rated name of owner or landlord
1891 Wager Wager house
1896 Henry Strong Henry Strong
1901 Henry Strong Henry Strong
1907 Fanny Williams Fanny Williams house and shop
1911 Henry Lawson Haining Henry Lawson Haining

also interesting to see - Alice at 411 Riley St, also connection to Burns.
1882 123 Goulburn St Alice Harrison John Bull house
1896 67 Kippax St Alice Harrison Mary Jane Burns house
1901 67 Kippax St Alice Harrison Mary J Burns house
1907 411 Riley St Alice Harrison Charles A Coughlin house
1911 556 Crown St Alice Harrison Mary Daly house
1918 556 Crown St Alice Harrison estate of late Terence Daly house

In case someone can find a connection of names somewhere.

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 10:17PM GMT
Hi AnnMarie,
It would be much easier if you just transcribed the certs in here for everyone one to see, rather than email them to anyone who is trying to help.
If everyone emailed certs/info to the helpers then the boards would become 'useless' and the helpers swamped and feel pressured to do more.
Also, only those with the certs would know what to search for and other poor helpers would be searching willy-nilly in all directions, wasting their time.

Kellie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic