Search for content in message boards

Lexington Station, Ararat, Victoria Australia

Lexington Station, Ararat, Victoria Australia

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 1:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
I can find almost no information online about this homestead near Arart, Victoria. Anyone have any knowledge about its size and scope at its hay day?

Re: Lexington Station, Ararat, Victoria Australia

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 6:19PM GMT
Trove has several references,
... Grave of First White Woman in Wimmera ARARAT Frlday - An old tomb stone in the garden at Lexington Station which was the run originally occupied by Horatio Spencer Wills when he came overland from Sydney in 1840 has been found to be the grave of the first white woman &
Saturday 9 January 1937
Horatio is in my extended Howe family. cheers penne

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 6:43PM GMT
Horatio Spencer Howe Wills was born after the death of his father Edward. It is thought that the name "Howe" was added to his name upon his mother's second marriage and perhaps George Howe adopted him! He had a very free and wild childhood and married Elizabeth McGuire at Parramatta in 1833. Settled on a property named "Burra Burra" on the Murrumbidgee River, Lower Minto after staying at "Yarraville" his Uncle Tom's home, but decided to follow Major Mitchell's trail to Victoria. After crossing the Murray with his entire family, servants, stockmen etc., he arrived at Mt. Ararat which he named ("as like the ark I rested here!!") and in 1843 built "Lexington" homestead on the property of 120,000 acres. (Note: Lexington is still inhabited). from Google. cheers penne

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 7:55PM GMT
Thanks for this! I have a number of ancestors associated with Lexington. I think they may have acquired land when the original homestead broke off some smaller parcels, perhaps in 1870s but not sure.... Grants and McLeans.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic