Search for content in message boards

Vance in Greene County, Ohio

Vance in Greene County, Ohio

Posted: 5 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 12:15AM GMT
Surnames: Vance, Mills
According to the histories of the area that was later to become Greene County, Ohio, a Vance family came north into that area and were the first settlers of that part of Greene County (formed in 1803) The Vance Family and the Mills Family, however, came about 1795. The town of Bellbrook, Ohio was first called Vance's Settlement. There is conflicting information on this family. Does anyone know this early family?

Re: Vance in Greene County, Ohio

Marilyn Banks (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Vance, Wilson
Hi
Joseph Colville Vance 1750 -1809, along with his brother John, laid out the towns of Bellebrook and Zenia as well as others in early Greene Co Ohio.
Jos is my gggg-grandfather.
son of David; husband of Sarah Wilson; and father of many many children, including Oh's former Gov Jos Colville Vance, and Wilson Vance of Findlay OH.

Posted: 5 Jun 2007 4:08PM GMT
Surnames: Vance, Wilson
I'm descended from a Vance family who, in 1799, settled in what would soon be Greene County, OH. Joseph Colville Vance (1759-1809) had been born in Frederick County, Virginia; married Sarah Wilson in Loudoun County, VA; moved first to Washington County, PA about 1783; moved by raft down the Ohio River to Mason County, KY about 1788; and went to the Greene County, OH area from there in 1799. Joseph and Sarah had 9 children: John Wilson Vance, David Vance, Joseph Colville Vance (later OH governor), Jane Vance, Samuel Vance, William Vance, Wilson Vance, Bridget Vance, and Moses Baird Vance. One of the sons, Wilson, went in 1821 to the Findlay area and helped lay out the town of Findlay. That family stayed in Findlay, with a homesteading foray into Kansas from the late 1880s to about 1925 when they returned to Findlay. A straight line from Wilson goes through Miles Wilson Vance, Paul J. Vance, to Walter S. Vance, who was my grandfather.
Are you interested in any of these people or their ancestors?
Karen Vance

Posted: 30 Jul 2007 4:13AM GMT
Surnames: Vance
Karen, I'm interested in your family tree - I'm a descendant of a John W. Vance, born in Ohio (not sure where) in 1799. He later moved to Indiana and settled down. He named some of his children Samuel, William, and Jane. I'm wondering/hoping this might be the same John W. Vance.

I'd be very interested in comparing some notes. Please reply to this thread.

Thanks!

-Kathleen Vance

Posted: 30 Jul 2007 11:59AM GMT
Kathleen,
Do you know what the "W" stands for in John W Vance? Just wondering if it's Wilcher,or Wiltcher.
Paula

Posted: 1 Aug 2007 5:59PM GMT
Kathleen,
The John Wilson Vance who was the son of Joseph Colville Vance (1759-1809) and Sarah Wilson was born in 1782 in Virginia. He came to Ohio with his parents in about 1799. He fought in the War of 1812 and moved to Illinois in 1824. So that's probably not the one born in 1799 that you're descended from, but I bet there is a connection. They had so many kids in each family. Can you give me more about your John W. Vance's ancestors and descendants?
Karen Vance Michie

Posted: 1 Aug 2007 9:40PM GMT
Surnames: Vance, Stafford
Karen,

I know nothing about his ancestors... All of his census records say he was born in 1799 in Ohio (no county, of course).

He married Charlotte Stafford on December 31, 1929 in Shelby County Indiana. Charlotte died 12/31/1851. He died in Argos, Marshall County, Indiana in 1868.

His kids included Elias, Samuel, Martha, Jane, Sarah, Mary, and George W. (Elias is my g-g-grandfather by his second wife, Artemesia).

Any connection to your Vances?

John W. Vance b. 1799

Posted: 2 Aug 2007 3:39PM GMT
Kathleen, There doesn't seem to be a link going forward from your John W. Vance, but I bet there is one if you go backwards. Do you have a parent name or any idea where they came to Ohio from?
Karen

Re: John W. Vance b. 1799

Posted: 4 Aug 2007 3:59PM GMT
I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I have no parent names and no idea where in Ohio he was born. Total dead end.

Thanks for looking! :)

Re: John W. Vance b. 1799

Posted: 4 Aug 2007 6:59PM GMT
I came across some ancestry for a John W. Vance you might want to look at - the link won't copy to this message board but it's at www.matsonfamily.net/WelchAncestry/. There are names listed and you click on "Vance" for a really long and old genealogy. At the bottom is John W. Vance born a few years after 1799.
Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions