Search for content in message boards

Willey Family of Delaware

Willey Family of Delaware

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 11:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Willey, Isaacs
I'm researching the Willey family and have been able to positively trace back to Waitman Willey, born June 14, 1792 (per his tombstone in the Tatnall Tombstone records). I have been unable to find his father. Would it have been William, Son of Waitman, Son of William? I would appreciate any help in this matter, as I'm researching this line for my boss. Thank you.

Re: Willey Family of Delaware

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 1:38PM GMT
Surnames: Willey
Hi -
I saw your posting when searching the web for info on the Delaware Willeys. My wife is descendant from the Delaware Willeys but earlier than 1840 things get muddied. There are actually three Willey lines I'm trying to connect: 1)Minos Willey b 1808 in Greenwood, DE d 4/18/1886 in Sussex Co, DE (my wife's line), 2) Waitman Willey 1793-1873 who married Nancy b 1791, and 3)John Willey b 1807 that married Sallie b 1812.
Does any of this ring a bell ? There seems to be a lot of Willey records in the State Archives but they all seem to die out in the late 1700s and I cant connect them with the beginnings of either of my three Willey lines.
many thanks
Bruce Thompson

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 6:35PM GMT
Bruce,

Per the information that I tracked down for my boss (his paternal great-grandmother was a Willey), I have Waitman Willey, born June 14, 1792 and died July 17, 1873. Waitman Willey and his wife, Nancy (maiden name unknown) are buried at the Isaacs Family Cemetery northwest of Georgetown, Sussex County, Delaware. It is on private property and access is difficult.

Waitman's father was Robert Willey who died January 1797 in Sussex County, Delaware. His probate records can be found at the Delaware Public Archives in Dover, Kent County, Delaware. The records provide for his minor son, Waitman. Robert's wife at the time of his death was named Prudence. Her maiden name is unknown and I am presuming that she would be Waitman's biological mother, although I have no concrete proof.

I have not positively identified Robert's parentage. He could possibly be the son of one of the many John Willey's that abounded in the Nanticoke Hundred of Sussex County, Delaware at that time. Or perhaps out of Dorchester, Worcester or Somerset Counties in Maryland. It's something that would require more time and access than I currently have.

You may want to check the Colonial Roots bookstore in Lewes, Sussex County, Delaware for what they have on the various Willey lines. Their website is: www.colonialroots.com.

Posted: 26 Jul 2008 1:26PM GMT
Wow! Thanks very much. I'll certainly get a copy of the probate record that you mentioned. You also mentioned that your boss' paternal great grandmother was a Willey. Could you share whatever other info you've accumulated. I have details on three Delaware Willey lines: 1) Minos b 1808, 2)Waitman b 1792 (that your e-mail improves upon), and John b 1807. I'd be happy to trade info if your boss agrees.
I've been in touch with other Delaware Willey experts named Carol Spence and Jeff Hughes (Jeff is my wife's second cousin). You know them?

Posted: 31 Jul 2008 7:14PM GMT
I have what consists of a direct lineage for my boss's Willey line on a Microsoft Word file. I would be happy to email a copy to you. It has footnotes that indicate where information was derived from. It isn't the largest amount of Willey information available I'm sure, but it's what I've been able to glean when I've been able to do any decent research. I've noted Jeff Hughes name while doing research, but do not know him other than a Willey family researcher.

Teresa

Posted: 31 Jul 2008 7:33PM GMT
Hi Teresa -
Yes please...please send the Willey file you described to thompsba41@hotmail.com. Yes I know Jeff Hughes..he's my wife's second cousin and lives in OH. I see him at the Willey family reunion held in Woodland, DE each December. He's also active in pursuing the Wheatley family tree as well as being something of a professional genealogist.
Bruce

Posted: 1 Aug 2008 2:30PM GMT
Surnames: Willey, Frakes, Stoneking, Lemley, Gann
I, too would like to have a copy of this file if it's not too much trouble. Thanks

Posted: 1 Aug 2008 2:51PM GMT
No problem. It's in Microsoft Word format. I have not as yet put in the updated information I have just received. But it's a start. Please send me your email address and I will be more than happy to forward it to you.

Posted: 1 Aug 2008 3:10PM GMT
Surnames: Willey, Griffith et al
May I make a suggestion .... if this information is sent to me I can save you a great deal of time .....all of the people who have requested this are on my Willey Delaware/ Monongalia/ Ohio and points beyond mailin list and with one push of the button I can send it out to all of them .....
I think they would all agree to that .
Carol
grannyjo2@verizon.net

Posted: 1 Aug 2008 4:20PM GMT
Carol,

I have forwarded the file to you. Thank you for your kind offer.

Teresa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic